Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wow!

I wish I had the time to respond to all of these individually but I'm right in the middle of my exams.
    I can't thank you enough for these responses, I've just printed them all out so I can have a good few more reads through and talk to my parents about it.
    I went on a JLR/Thames (I think) engineering course a few months ago where they basically tried persuading us to become engineers, and one of the statistics that they gave us was that £63k salary for the 'average engineer'. I'm not expecting to be making such a salary unless I become a full 10-15 year experienced engineer.
    The sixth form I will be at next year (fingers crossed) is an engineering defence sixth form which will give me the grades I need to, what I'm thinking at the moment, study mechatronics engineering at a good Uni, could be Imperial or UCL, I'll have an advisor who will make sure I get into the best one for me, which then after that puts me in a role as a civil engineer making £23k annually for 3 years, before I'm free to do what I want.
    I can't thank you enough!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GaryIsASloth)
    Wow!

I wish I had the time to respond to all of these individually but I'm right in the middle of my exams.
    I can't thank you enough for these responses, I've just printed them all out so I can have a good few more reads through and talk to my parents about it.
    I went on a JLR/Thames (I think) engineering course a few months ago where they basically tried persuading us to become engineers, and one of the statistics that they gave us was that £63k salary for the 'average engineer'. I'm not expecting to be making such a salary unless I become a full 10-15 year experienced engineer.
    The sixth form I will be at next year (fingers crossed) is an engineering defence sixth form which will give me the grades I need to, what I'm thinking at the moment, study mechatronics engineering at a good Uni, could be Imperial or UCL, I'll have an advisor who will make sure I get into the best one for me, which then after that puts me in a role as a civil engineer making £23k annually for 3 years, before I'm free to do what I want.
    I can't thank you enough!!!
    I'm a bit confused by what you say. You will study mechatronics engineering and then become a civil engineer for three years making 23k?

A) I'm unsure why you would end up a civil engineer when you will not have studied civil engineering
    B) 23k for 3 years is a pretty poor salary for a qualified engineer
    C) "until you are free to do what you want" - why would you not be free from the getgo?

Is this a sponsored route where they will pay your tuition fees or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    I'm a bit confused by what you say. You will study mechatronics engineering and then become a civil engineer for three years making 23k?

A) I'm unsure why you would end up a civil engineer when you will not have studied civil engineering
    B) 23k for 3 years is a pretty poor salary for a qualified engineer
    C) "until you are free to do what you want" - why would you not be free from the getgo?

Is this a sponsored route where they will pay your tuition fees or something?
    A) Ignore the civil engineering, I just meant working for the Ministry of Defence, got confused.
    B) Yeah but they're giving me a top-notch education and giving me Uni bursaries. Plus its guaranteed which I kinda like.
    C) Because from the sixth form education and uni bursaries you're expected to return the favour by working for them, although after 3 years you can stay on and get a much better pay and I guess work your way through the ranks to a good pay.

You've probably gathered it's a sponsored route, it's DESG who send me to Welbeck DSFC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GaryIsASloth)
    A) Ignore the civil engineering, I just meant working for the Ministry of Defence, got confused.
    B) Yeah but they're giving me a top-notch education and giving me Uni bursaries. Plus its guaranteed which I kinda like.
    C) Because from the sixth form education and uni bursaries you're expected to return the favour by working for them, although after 3 years you can stay on and get a much better pay and I guess work your way through the ranks to a good pay.

You've probably gathered it's a sponsored route, it's DESG who send me to Welbeck DSFC.
    Ah right, makes sense. Well if you can get your tuition fees fully paid I would definitely go down that route. If it's only partial funding I would consider your options as you're potentially losing out on £20-30k over three years, so I would weigh up whether they are likely to provide that amount.

Best of luck with your future studies.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, makes sense. Well if you can get your tuition fees fully paid I would definitely go down that route. If it's only partial funding I would consider your options as you're potentially losing out on £20-30k over three years, so I would weigh up whether they are likely to provide that amount.

Best of luck with your future studies.
    All costs covered for boarding at a state of the art sixth form with best teachers in the country for 2 years,
    then £4k(+) per year at Uni, I'm not gonna complain considering all the sixth forms in my area are pretty useless and I'd love to get away from home. And the idea of a guaranteed job gives me a sense of security I really like
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I agree they are not great, but unfortunately the examples I was referring to were not technician roles and were ones I would consider myself applicable for with a Masters and several years experience.

It doesn't help that "engineer" isn't a protected status.

I've found the government jobseekers website to actually be a solid resource that provides jobs of all levels, typically up to about middle management level.
    Well, I can't disagree with your own experience. Perhaps £25,000 for a chartered engineer was an anomaly. I think that's a more appropriate salary for an entry-level role, and that they may have difficulty in securing a chartered engineer for that rate. But certainly, some fields do pay a bit lower (e.g. civil).

Incidentally, most professional level engineering jobs I see advertised do not state an actual salary, instead being £neg. And to the OP, I think a more realistic average salary, for 10-15 years experience would be circa £40-£50k, rather than £63k, as this figure is likely skewed (see one of my previous posts). Of course, it could be more, we're only dealing with an average here, but I don't think it would be much less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Well, I can't disagree with your own experience. Perhaps £25,000 for a chartered engineer was an anomaly. I think that's a more appropriate salary for an entry-level role, and that they may have difficulty in securing a chartered engineer for that rate. But certainly, some fields do pay a bit lower (e.g. civil).

Incidentally, most professional level engineering jobs I see advertised do not state an actual salary, instead being £neg. And to the OP, I think a more realistic average salary, for 10-15 years experience would be circa £40-£50k, rather than £63k, as this figure is likely skewed (see one of my previous posts). Of course, it could be more, we're only dealing with an average here, but I don't think it would be much less.
    I'm leaning more towards them being "chancers" than it being an anomaly, but yeah, it's ridiculous.

I more or less agree with your pay range, but would modify it to £45-55k per year. I agree it is skewed.

I also agree that many use £neg.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.