Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noticemesenpai)
    Ah, well i want to fast to appreciate everything i have in life to be honest. I've got a lot compared to people living in poverty.
    decent reason
    what is lent, is it the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alien Warrior)
    1000's of people fasting in hot countries have died of thirst, so no idea.
    I would comment on the reliability of your source but thats besides the point. It is forbidden for us to fast in ill health so if that statistic is true then those poor people misunderstood their religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    cardinal sin?
    Just meant that its supposed to be very bad. (Drinking alcohol, but I'm sure you got that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimen.)
    I appreciate that! x)
    mostly because i cba or forget to eat :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    Just meant that its supposed to be very bad. (Drinking alcohol, but I'm sure you got that)
    iv got a glass of wine right now...

ReputationRep:
    1000's of people fasting in hot countries have died of thirst, so no idea.
    Interesting, especially since you are not meant to fast if it causes harm to yourself. For one to be dehydrated enough to die, they must have experienced serious headaches, dizziness and fatigue before dying. These are definite signs that one should break their fast for the sake of their health and

These people died because they went to extremes to keep their fast.

And Allah says in the Quran, extremists are doomed.

ReputationRep:
    iv got a glass of wine right now...
    Then you're apparently a blasphemer going to hell :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was to understand the problems that starving people go through daily. They still eat anyway just at a certain times. I do think it should be an optional thing.

ReputationRep:
    decent reason
    what is lent, is it the same?
    i think that's giving up one thing like "i'm giving up chocolate for lent" so you don't eat chocolate for the entire duration of lent but fasting in ramadan is giving up food and water from sunrise to sunset every day for a month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayzar)
    I would comment on the reliability of your source but thats besides the point. It is forbidden for us to fast in ill health so if that statistic is true then those poor people misunderstood their religion.
    They weren't ill when they started the fast. Going hours without drinking in hot countries can kill you very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    mostly because i cba or forget to eat :/
    Lol you aren't doing it for poor people man!
    It's all about intentions, why not give out a few days to those needy ones by either fasting or giving out some charity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    Then you're apparently a blasphemer going to hell :teehee:
    nice and hot

(Original post by loveleest)
    I thought it was to understand the problems that starving people go through daily. They still eat anyway just at a certain times. I do think it should be an optional thing.
    but people starving dont get the luxury of being able to eat at certain times, they starve round the clock...

(Original post by z33)
    i think that's giving up one thing like "i'm giving up chocolate for lent" so you don't eat chocolate for the entire duration of lent but fasting in ramadan is giving up food and water from sunrise to sunset every day for a month
    oh right, i thought it was to do with the easter bunny :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    hm i guess it's forced privilege check

but if you are unwell/ travelling/ on your period/ it harms you then you're exempt from fasting :3

i quite like it tbh - got a summer beach body weight loss routine built into my religion :rofl: jkjk

ReputationRep:
    They weren't ill when they started the fast. Going hours without drinking in hot countries can kill you very quickly.
    doesn't matter what they felt like at the start - if at any point they feel unable to carry on they can break it

oh is it - dunno i'm only saying what ive heard from friends xP

ReputationRep:
    this time, with a question

why do people fast?!

i just dont get it, why would a god want their followers to go hungry for the sake of themselves?
    It's just to appreciate the small things in life, like food, and food deprivation is the best way.

It's to feel what being in poverty is like.

And scientific research has shown it has some really cool effects, like it can help prevent certain illnesses.

It's also really spiritual. You get to contemplate more on life and your actions if you don't have to worry about food. And food is kind of a big distraction if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)

but if you are unwell/ travelling/ on your period/ it harms you then you're exempt from fasting :3

i quite like it tbh - got a summer beach body weight loss routine built into my religion :rofl: jkjk
    I might join the fast for that reason tbh lol

ReputationRep:
    It's solidarity man! Don't do it if you don't feel bad for the poor guys who die! Nobody actually forces you but imagine yourself in their place, others would do same to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)

why on your period?
    doesnt pregnancy get included in the exemption list?

(Original post by z33)
    doesn't matter what they felt like at the start - if at any point they feel unable to carry on they can break it

oh is it - dunno i'm only saying what ive heard from friends xP
    i do like the easter bunny!

ReputationRep:
    People already answered the question but why does it bother you so much, that's what's interesting...

ReputationRep:
    nice and hot

but people starving dont get the luxury of being able to eat at certain times, they starve round the clock...

Yes I know that, but it is to have some sort of idea what starvinh people go through

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.