Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people think animals have the same rights as humans? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Did you even read what I said?

I said occasionally animals become cannibalistic, including humans, from pressure but generally, as with us, they eat meat from other animals.
    Exactly, you are not the same animal as my cat, so it can eat you. Where do you live? I assume you've informed the authorities that our laws need changing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    Exactly, you are not the same animal as my cat, so it can eat you. Where do you live? I assume you've informed the authorities that our laws need changing.
    I don't get how you're having a problem here, do you not see that we're both saying the same thing?

What laws do you think I'm saying should be changed?

ReputationRep:
    People are crazy, that's why.

greatguy680 is your friend

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how you're having a problem here, do you not see that we're both saying the same thing?

What laws do you think I'm saying should be changed?
    Well, presumably if I kill you and feed you to my cat I'll be breaking the law. If humans have less rights than animals, then, apparently, it's fine for me to murder you. So we need to change the law so I won't get imprisoned for a clearly unjust murder.

Of course, you could claim that I don't own you, but if animals deserve more rights than us they cannot be owned (slavery and all that) so thus I don't really need to pay your owner to buy you before butchering you. So ownership is not an issue.

You can't have animals having the right to eat other animals, and humans having less rights to animals without making the killing of humans a legal act.

I'm trying to demonstrate the idea that animals should have more rights than humans is ridiculous, if you haven't noticed.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you sign up for some dodgy drug testing on yourself and then tell me we still shouldn't test on animals

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to demonstrate the idea that animals should have more rights than humans is ridiculous, if you haven't noticed.
    Really? Did you not see what I said a few posts ago? I specifically dedicated a reply to say [let me do it nice and big to make it clearer this time]:

I THINK ANIMALS AND HUMANS SHOULD HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS.

I do not mean humans should have less rights as animals. What I said, in the brackets, was that, in my opinion, I think humans kind of deserve less rights as animals, but that's just how I feel, as an opinion. I'm not saying if I was Prime Minister I'd make it so that animals have more right as humans because that's simply ridiculous. I said this in the brackets to specifically make it separate from my argument.

You've taken that one line and made a whole thing out of it when it has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I believe animals have the same rights as humans and I'm defending why I also eat meat; that's what this topic is about. Take out that line in the brackets and read what I said again and that's the point that I'm making on this post.

ReputationRep:
    Really? Did you not see what I said a few posts ago? I specifically dedicated a reply to say [let me do it nice and big to make it clearer this time]:

I THINK ANIMALS AND HUMANS SHOULD HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS.

I do not mean humans should have less rights as animals. What I said, in the brackets, was that, in my opinion, I think humans kind of deserve less rights as animals. I said this in the brackets to specifically make it separate from my argument.

You've taken that one line and made a whole thing out of it when it has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I believe animals have the same rights as humans and I'm defending why I also eat meat; that's what this topic is about. Take out that line in the brackets and read what I said again and that's the point that I'm making on this post.
    I believe my point still stands under animals and humans sharing equal rights. It's still plainly ridiculous. For a start, we'd be down to all sources of meat being hunted, because we can't own animals.

Animal Rights = Human Rights.

Animals have the right to kill animals.

=> Humans have the right to kill humans

ReputationRep:
    I believe my point still stands under animals and humans sharing rights.

Animal Rights = Human Rights.

Animals have the right to kill animals.

=> Humans have the right to kill humans
    I'm going to use a lion as an example to explain my point:

Lions eat other animals.

Humans eat other animals.

Lions do not eat other lions unless pressured by extreme circumstances.

Humans do not eat other humans unless pressured by extreme circumstances.

It isn't right for humans to eat other humans, but it has happened in extreme circumstances. I suspect lions don't think it's right to eat other lions, which is why they don't do it as a normality, but, again, it happens in extreme circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I consider humans and animals to have the same rights (if anything I think human's should have less than animals because animals haven't f*cked everything up) but I still eat meat because I see it as part of the food chain. Small animal is eaten by big animal, that's how it is for animals and in the wild and I see no reason why it should be different for us. I do not condone the bad treatment of animals and knows this does go on, but it's a lot better than it was 50 years ago and I hope that by 50 years time it'll be a lot better, sometime getting to the point where animals are treated how they should be.

Let us not forget that humans are animals as well. We just have bigger egos.
    The idea that humans should eat meat because it's the natural order of things for predators to eat prey is bogus. That something is natural does not make it right. In any case, the meat industry is so hopelessly unnatural that buying meat from it cannot be considered a natural act; it certainly isn't what takes place in the wild. When's the last time you went out and hunted down and killed your food yourself, with your bare hands?

One of the most important ways that humans distinguish ourselves from other animals is our capacity to reason morally. A lion kills and eats a gazelle because it is mentally programmed to, because it doesn't understand that it is causing the gazelle suffering, and because its digestive system can only break down meat. We are different from the lion on all counts. We can exercise our moral reason to determine not to eat meat, and we can live very healthily without it.

TL; DR: If you justify eating meat by saying it's what carnivores do in the wild, you are taking moral cues from creatures that have no capacity to think morally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    this is why im half vegan, like you guys should try it sometimes
    Half vegan??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I consider humans and animals to have the same rights (if anything I think human's should have less than animals because animals haven't f*cked everything up) but I still eat meat because I see it as part of the food chain. Small animal is eaten by big animal, that's how it is for animals and in the wild and I see no reason why it should be different for us. I do not condone the bad treatment of animals and knows this does go on, but it's a lot better than it was 50 years ago and I hope that by 50 years time it'll be a lot better, sometime getting to the point where animals are treated how they should be.

Let us not forget that humans are animals as well. We just have bigger egos.
    Food chain argument is bull. You eat meat because you like the taste. Our current system of meat production is far far far from unnatural.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.