Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grade Boundary Predictions [OCR AQA EDEXCEL] [SUBMIT YOUR OWN] watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nwmyname)
    Breath was easy tbh for what you expect, but the Multiple-Choice questions are gonna hurt people, plus those that don't really understand organic chemistry.
    I mean pathways are gonna be difficult for people that don't really know what the principles are, and le chatlier's principle is gonna be more difficult for long writers.

If MCQs are 20 marks and Le Chaliers are 3/4 marks, then I guess the grade boundaries for an A should be around 50 or less.

Note that 20% of the population that took the exam should minimum should be an A, based on previous statistics they released of previous exams, and they were all old-spec exams.
    wait we're talking about chemistry? Both were the same in difficulty to me, both good ish. I meant bio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oni176)
    This year should be low in particular as it is something new being introduced to A-level examinations. Old spec at least was based on units where students had to revise a specific section for their exams. Our both papers tested our knowledge on everything being thought.
    Yeah you seem to understand me.
    For example, I took AQA chemistry.

This meant C1 C2 C3.

I could revise those 'units' very easily as I knew the content was individual to eac one.
    I didn't have to worry about moles in C1 because it would never exist on the spec.
    Also, if I had a C1 exam, I could look through my notes in the hours before the exam and quickly save in my head what I need to avoid getting wrong.
    You can't do that in a linear exam as you would have so much you need to remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronnydandam)
    wait we're talking about chemistry? Both were the same in difficulty to me, both good ish. I meant bio
    Ohh right.
    Yeah I agree bio depth was strange.
    Very strange.
    The students reaction on twitter confirmed the nation's feelings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oni176)
    I certainly agree with you. Linear exams are usually difficult and the GCSE Edexcel is a very good example. The grade boundary should be low this year in particular because this is something new being introduced to A-level examinations.
    Think of it this way.
    Exam boards wanted exam reforms so that they can start fresh.

OCR I know have a bad reputation for bad papers, ambiguous specifications and all that exists with it.

If you were OCR, and you wanted more teachers into your new A-Levels, would you...
    a) make the grade boundaries hard as hell so no one gets good results, and then mean that you can't advertise it well.
    b) make the grade boundaries easy as hell so everyone gets good results, and then mean that you can advertise the new A-level as the best in the market.

You'd do b, wouldn't you?
    That's what I think they are gonna do.
    They need to, if they want large market share of the chemistry A-level sector.
    With new specs, they would have to. I should be correct, unless otherwise badly mistaken.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.