Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by nisha.sri)
    Isn't that the guy with the videos ? I do use him but only when i find things confusing
    Ohhh OK. I think you should use freesciencelessons for an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    Is anybody else doing this?

I've always just copied notes from Bitesize, but I've found that some things aren't on there. So to be safe, I'm basically just learning off-by-heart everything in the AQA specification for my sciences.

Is that safe to do, because they can't ask you anything not on the specification, right?
    I use the spec to revise a bit for example I highlight as I do things to make sure haven't missed anything out. For some subjects they ask you to give definitions or examples and sometimes they give you the ones they would like you to know in the spec so I memorise those from there. But I don't revise only from the spec as sometimes it says things like know how to .... and you have to learn that from somewhere else.

ReputationRep:

I've always just copied notes from Bitesize, but I've found that some things aren't on there. So to be safe, I'm basically just learning off-by-heart everything in the AQA specification for my sciences.

Is that safe to do, because they can't ask you anything not on the specification, right?
    If you look on the mark schemes of the AQA sciences, they actually have to quote the specific spec point that they are questioning in the question (from mark schemes 2014 and onwards - AQA had complaints that the questions were diverging from the spec so they had to impliment this 2014 onwards)

I revise from the spec, but you need to make sure that you understand everything you are "regurgitating", because if you don't understand, you won't be able to apply to different situations.

However, the B1 Biology exam was an absolute mess, all of the stuff would somehow link back to the spec, but honestly looking at the spec I have no idea how they are going to do it (BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO LINK IT BACK SOMEHOW). The Chem and Physics exams were good though, Chem was basically a memory test from the spec

ReputationRep:

This is exactly what I'm doing for science. I'm not using the specification for any other subjects though, geography is soooo vague

ReputationRep:
    The spec is really useful for history imo because all the textbooks always include so much unnecessary bs that you just don't need. Obviously you can't revise from it for history because it's just a list of things you need to know, but for sciences I'd say you're quite safe learning from it since it actually tells you the facts

ReputationRep:
    Yep i only use the spec for the sciences though
    But i use it alongside my revision guides

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.