Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bremainers: how are you going to reform the EU? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Short answer: they won't, because they can't.

The EU is intrinsically anti-democratic. Unelected officials who nobody ever voted for impose absurd laws on member states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sainsburys wraps)
    I'm yet to see a single remainer actually say they are going to reform the EU
    Maybe reforming the EU isn't that high on the remain agenda. The fear for me is the loss of my ability to work anywhere in the EU, being able to trade goods anywhere without having to undergo any form of import / export rigmarole, register a trademark across the whole EU with one form, know that criminals can not escape the arm of the law in Europe, knowing I am protected against a whole raft of oppressive employer practices, and the piece de resistance - the Human Rights laws that protect my privacy, freedom and more besides. I fear the loss of all that. Bizarrely the UK was very much one of the instigators of this legislation but brexiters some how feel it has been imposed on us.... by us!

Then there are all those nice-to-haves like air travel compensation if a plane is late, being able to use one currency when travelling in most of Europe (I still have about a kilo of old lira, marks and francs), elimination of phone roaming charges (can you remember when it cost upwards of a quid to send a text?) environmental standards and more besides.

I don't have a problem with Europe and am not particularly fussed if it doesn't get reformed. I know the CAP and fisheries policy is not perfect but that doesn't really affect me so I am not that bothered. Leaving feels like the perfect example of cutting off one's nose to spite our face and given the incompetence of our own politicians, I certainly can't see any UK legislation being put back to replace what we loose in EU rights (i.e. Bill of Rights) being better than what we have. We have already seen the Tories erode workers rights by increasing the time at which you can be sacked without notice from 1 to 2 years. Any Bill of Rights will be a shadow of what we currently have under EU legislation.

I am there to be swayed on the EU - I don't like the current immigration problem, but reform of the EU isn't even on my radar. I would rather see immigration from outside the EU reduced to zero before we tackle reform of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    It only looks like spam to the illiterate

Which banned account were you previously me ol chap?
    lol now that is what i would call "incompetently opposing", seriously just tone down the harsh agenda because some people on this site might be brainwashed by the perpetual anti-Eu anti-Islam spam

ReputationRep:
    The EU Parliament has the power to dismiss the Commission. If enough people are unhappy then they'll vote in MEP's who reflect their opinions.

The problem in the UK is that not many people participate in the European elections compared to the national elections, apart from UKIP supporters who actually cast more votes last time out than in the general election.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it needs reforming. I'm happy with how it is.

ReputationRep:
    I think the EU does needs reform (and it should be noted, it is continuously doing so) and there is a campaign to reform it at a greater rate: https://diem25.org (to a more left wing model)

the EU is expediently gradualist though, and as such reflects the combined wills of the governments of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I don't think it needs reforming. I'm happy with how it is.
    It's not perfect IMO but I'm not losing any sleep over the current situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    It's not perfect IMO but I'm not losing any sleep over the current situation.
    Same.

I feel the EU is the victim of huge amounts of misplaced anger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Same.

I feel the EU is the victim of huge amounts of misplaced anger.
    yeah many of the failings that do exist have suddenly been deflected onto the EU rather than addressing how the current government has consistently failed to meet its own targets of budget surpluses and following through with the pledges which purportedly they were elected on. The case made that the money spent on the EU will be spent better elsewhere is highly unlikely with how the government is currently handling expenditures inefficiently on education, on healthcare and on welfare.

ReputationRep:
    It can't be reformed. A majority of other countries would need to agree to any reforms and we all saw how little Cameron got in his reforms. Besides I think the main problem is democracy and decision making. If you hate the Tories you can vote them out and protest against them, you can't vote in or out the people who run the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.