Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arvin Bhambra)
    https://www.dvsalearningzone.co.uk/ - very good website helped me alot. Need to make an account tho

Helped me to get 49/50 on theory and 65 on hazard
    oh, it charges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    oh sweet! il report back with my own soon
    thanks
    no probs if you got any questions on theory feel free to ask me

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you book them yourself I tink

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

How many lessons did it take you to pass I'd you don't mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    here is another one but only got tests on it

http://toptests.co.uk/

theory is mainly common sense anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZainF123)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

How many lessons did it take you to pass I'd you don't mind me asking
    did not do any lessons taught myself mate

ReputationRep:
    if you're really struggling you should try Automatic cars as its much easier and will be cost effective in that you won't need as many lessons to pass.

but then again automatic cars are normally more expensive so maybe overall it evens out

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Woaaaaah. Respecttt

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've had a look at them. I think I might start asking my dad to take me out driving on the weekends.

ReputationRep:
    when waiting at traffic lights I am comfortable with keeping the bite but I know this wears the clutch out like mad. My instructor is always saying put the handbrake on and I have to ask if if its OK to just use the break.
    also when setting off it takes me ages and my instructor always says speed up as there are other cars behind but this is the point where I panic and then end up stalling
    At the end of the day stop panicking cause you're more likely to make a mistake. Don't be scared as other drivers know your a leaner and you are bound to be a bit slow compared to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirAlexFerguson)
    if you're really struggling you should try Automatic cars as its much easier and will be cost effective in that you won't need as many lessons to pass.

but then again automatic cars are normally more expensive so maybe overall it evens out
    the lessons are more expensive i thought?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZAYN.)
    At the end of the day stop panicking cause you're more likely to make a mistake. Don't be scared as other drivers know your a leaner and you are bound to be a bit slow compared to them
    tanks! I think I just need to build up confidence which will take another few lessons!

ReputationRep:
    tanks! I think I just need to build up confidence which will take another few lessons!
    Yeah maybe practise driving with your dad or even when you're not driving, look and see what the driver is doing might help idk haha

ReputationRep:
    Ask your instructor to take you to a hill and practice holding the car on the incline just using the clutch. Gradually practice moving the car forward slowly and then holding it still again. Even when I'd passed my test and got a car, stalling was something I did all the time. My boyfriend made me do what I've just described on a very steep (but quiet) hill and i was like a new driver afterwards.

For those wanting help with the theory, there are a number of free apps that can help with the questions. I can't remember the name (I did my theory 3 years ago) but an app I found had the exact questions that are used in the real test so just constantly testing myself on those really helped.

For hazard perception, if really recommend getting one of those theory CDs for a laptop. I got one for about a tenner and it really helped. I failed my first theory because I was clicking too early. The CD helped to show the window of time that the test expects you to click in.

Don't worry about stalling though. Most drivers don't mind learners stalling - we were there once and you have to go through it, good luck

ReputationRep:
    I know nothing about driving, so I'm just gonna put this here and fly away.

ReputationRep:
    I've had about 10 driving lessons now and every lesson I stall about 4/5 times. My instructor is really patient but I get really annoyed. I have bad clutch control and I am just all round clumsy. Also after 10 lessons I have not done any maneuvers etc but my friend who has had 11 lessons is doing mock tests...

Does anyone have any tips for good clutch control/driving
    Question is: Do you stall while about to take off or is it when you are coming to a stop/slowing down?

if it's the former then you need to be more generous with the revving when you want to get it in gear, also practice loads so your foot can sense the biting point on the clutch, also be firm with the clutch if it has to be pushed then push it all the way, don't half-ass it.

Now if you stall while driving at low speeds or coming to a stop then I think you need to clutch-in sooner as your coming to a stop, remember when you've clutched in, you can still use the breaks and steer just fine so get comfortable with having the clutch down without any throttle.

In all honesty though, 13 lessons isn't that much I know people who have needed over 50, just believe in yourself because this is truly one of those things that requires confidence to pull off. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    Question is: Do you stall while about to take off or is it when you are coming to a stop/slowing down?

if it's the former then you need to be more generous with the revving when you want to get it in gear, also practice loads so your foot can sense the biting point on the clutch, also be firm with the clutch if it has to be pushed then push it all the way, don't half-ass it.

Now if you stall while driving at low speeds or coming to a stop then I think you need to clutch-in sooner as your coming to a stop, remember when you've clutched in, you can still use the breaks and steer just fine so get comfortable with having the clutch down without any throttle.

In all honesty though, 13 lessons isn't that much I know people who have needed over 50, just believe in yourself because this is truly one of those things that requires confidence to pull off. Good luck!
    yeah it is while taking off as I see the line of cars behind and panic. And yeah I think it needs a lot more practice I hope I dont need 50 lessons that would be so expensive!!
    Thank you for ya help!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've been driving nearly a year and still stall from time to time.
    I never use the handbrake though. Just normal brake and clutch slightly below bite.
    I had problems initially because I was trying so hard to move off perfectly and have as few revs and therefore smoother sound as possible.
    Once I thought '**** it" and started putting some more throttle in it, it was pretty easy and I realised that that's what most cars actually do.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be scared with the revs. If you make sure the revs are consistently above 1500 when setting off you'll never stall. Don't be scared that you'll fly forward because it's the clutch that allows the power to be transferred. I found when learning I'd concentrate on releasing the clutch but forget to continue to press down the accelerator more as I was releasing the clutch further.
    My instructor made sure I was hitting 2000 before setting off as it gives you a bit of leeway if you release the clutch too quickly. Go to an empty car park and practice stopping and starting.
    Once you start driving by yourself and experimenting with what you can get away with you'll understand more about how many revs you need. You can set off in 2 or 3 if you can control it well enough
    The bite is only really taught for beginners. You should be aiming to go from clutch fully pressed down to fully released in one smooth motion. I can't remember the last time I found the bite or used a handbrake.
    To summarise, when your engine's in idle (at a stop) look at the number of revs it does. Don't allow the revs to go below that at any point and you don't stall. Simple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    I've been driving nearly a year and still stall from time to time.
    I never use the handbrake though. Just normal brake and clutch slightly below bite.
    I had problems initially because I was trying so hard to move off perfectly and have as few revs and therefore smoother sound as possible.
    Once I thought '**** it" and started putting some more throttle in it, it was pretty easy and I realised that that's what most cars actually do.
    haha I think that sounds like a good idea because I do over complicate things
    might do this now hahhaha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.