Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    One thing in my opinion is worse than murder. Child sex abuse.
    That is a really stupid thing to say. Child abuse is awful but not as bad as murder. Surely thats obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by rehmanator)
    he was deemed sane he just had a twisted desire for babies and children and wrote a book for other predators to bypass the law! he is the definition of evil and i don't agree that tax payers money should be spent on his maintenance in a "prison" where tv is permitted
    I think whether our prison system is harsh enough or not is a whole another debate but I do agree that it should be a punishment - whereas at the moment it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    How many millions of pounds of taxpayer's money would that cost? There is no guarantee it would even work. Yes, there are probably some who can be rehabilitated. But not all of them. How would we distinguish which ones to "treat"? Or do we try and treat them all ,at considerable cost? Why should the public continue having to pay for vermin to spend their lives in prison?
    It costs less to just keep them locked up than it does to go through all the legal proceeding to execute them.

There is no benefit to the death penalty, it isn't a deterent, it isn't cheaper, it doesn't help anyone and there is always the significant possibility that you have an innocent person.

The government shouldn't have the right to execute its citizens, under any circumstances.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    How many millions of pounds of taxpayer's money would that cost? There is no guarantee it would even work. Yes, there are probably some who can be rehabilitated. But not all of them. How would we distinguish which ones to "treat"? Or do we try and treat them all ,at considerable cost? Why should the public continue having to pay for vermin to spend their lives in prison?
    Also; you hear about people being on death row for many, many years whilst all their appeals happen so they're locked up for this period of time; so the public would continue to pay whilst they're there.

ReputationRep:
    Against Death Penalty for any crime

ReputationRep:
    Finding the cause of paedophilia is more useful , if cases could be proved without a shadow of doubt then i would be for the death penalty but many innocent people have been killed wrongly. Life in prison is prolly worse than death anyway ,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moshe015)
    That is a really stupid thing to say. Child abuse is awful but not as bad as murder. Surely thats obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I disagree. There are different levels of murder. Someone who murders someone for murdering their child, is no where near as bad as this scum raping 6 month olds ffs

ReputationRep:
    The bright side of prison is the prisoners would actually beat the living **** out of child abusers.

ReputationRep:
    I DO stand by my belief that child sexual abuse is worse than murder. I'm talking about the worst kinds of child abuse. Don't forget,there are children who are abused almost every day of their lives. If you think how small a child's body is,can you imagine the intense physical pain that must cause? It just makes me want to vom. I think there are different degrees of murder. If it is premeditated then this must surely be the worst kind. People can snap and kill someone in a fit of rage, which is nowhere near as bad. But to think about, plan and then implement abusing a child for their own selfish gratification,and maybe recording a child for others to "enjoy." To hear their screams yet carrying on regardless ,knowing what you are doing is going to quite probably ruin a child's life for evermore. How can something so evil not be worse than murder? [I really hope anything I have said in this post has not upset anyone reading it BTW. If I have upset anybody then I apologise as it was not my intention.]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    It's a mental disorder, so I'm not sure if death is the appropriate action to take. Life in prison is pretty justified. What will death achieve as opposed to life in prison?
    It's not a mental disorder - don't insult people actually suffering from these problems as unlike paedophiles they have no choice in the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moshe015)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually I see their point. I mean you're actively ruining a child's life in the present and future.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Gaya Ramanathan)
    It's not a mental disorder - don't insult people actually suffering from these problems as unlike paedophiles they have no choice in the matter.
    It actually is a mental disorder. It's listed in the DSM-V which is like a bible for Psychiatrists.

The death penalty is never right. Not for anyone.

ReputationRep:
    It's a mental disorder, so I'm not sure if death is the appropriate action to take. Life in prison is pretty justified. What will death achieve as opposed to life in prison?
    It would save money, and stop them from living a life of comfort and playing playstation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaya Ramanathan)
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    It actually is a mental disorder. It's listed in the DSM-V which is like a bible for Psychiatrists.
    Um yes it is a mental disorder.. As Deyesy says...it's regarded as a disorder by the people who's sort of job is to classify what is and what isn't a disorder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    It would save money, and stop them from living a life of comfort and playing playstation.
    Death penalty is really expensive. I wouldn't say jail is a life of comfort.

ReputationRep:
    I actually can never make up my mind about this, for example someone who kills someone else... I don't know if I think they should have to stay in prison for the rest of their life or face the death penalty, I genuinely don't know which one is worse

ReputationRep:
    I DO stand by my belief that child sexual abuse is worse than murder. I'm talking about the worst kinds of child abuse. Don't forget,there are children who are abused almost every day of their lives. If you think how small a child's body is,can you imagine the intense physical pain that must cause? It just makes me want to vom. I think there are different degrees of murder. If it is premeditated then this must surely be the worst kind. People can snap and kill someone in a fit of rage, which is nowhere near as bad. But to think about, plan and then implement abusing a child for their own selfish gratification,and maybe recording a child for others to "enjoy." To hear their screams yet carrying on regardless ,knowing what you are doing is going to quite probably ruin a child's life for evermore. How can something so evil not be worse than murder? [I really hope anything I have said in this post has not upset anyone reading it BTW. If I have upset anybody then I apologise as it was not my intention.]
    Sexual abuse possibly leading to emotional trauma which can be treated with therapy is worse than completely removing a human from existence and preventing them from living out their life?

I am not saying the former is not terrible, but most people would probably rather have been sexually abused as a child than murdered and had no existence at all.

ReputationRep:
    No - if only one person is wrongly killed by the state in an entire decade, that's one too many. Conviction isn't necessarily enough to prove guilt - confessions may be forced or simply wrong, DNA and fingerprint analysis can be inaccurate, CCTV footage can be modified, witnesses may lie, the victim may identify the wrong person, the police could be corrupt... certainty is almost an impossibility.

There are regularly cases on the news about people being released from prison after many decades due to being found innocent. At the time of their conviction, their guilt seemed certain, yet it ultimately wasn't. Losing decades of your life in prison is horrible. But you can be let out. Death, however, is the most permanent thing of all. The state should never have the power of life and death.

Just imagine it: walking into the room where you will face the lethal injection. Knowing you've had your last meal and knowing this is the last room you will ever see - but you know you are innocent. If that happens to just one person, ever, that's way too much.

The death penalty shouldn't be used in any circumstances. Cost shouldn't really be a deciding factor, but it's also worth noting that prison of life can often be cheaper for the taxpayer - people on death row will appeal at least once, so that's more taxpayer lawyer funding, and they'll spend most of their life in prison anyway as they appeal.

ReputationRep:
    Death penalty is really expensive.
    In America it is, because of the protractedness of death row, the complexity of the legal system, and the rareness of lethal injection drugs. It doesn't have to be, if we went back to cheaper methods, and used a simpler and quicker legal procedure.

I wouldn't say jail is a life of comfort.
    More comfortable than life on the outside for many.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.