Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Design for a cover up tattoo Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    Great idea do you know what kind of quote you'd like?

Yup!!! it is isnt it?! :ahee:

i want to get Carpe Diem- latin for seize the day

it means quite alot to me, i play basketball and so they use it a motivational thing, and say Carpe Diem and play the game. and ive been through alot recently, so it reminds me to take what i have and make the most of what you've got!! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Go see an artist experienced with cover up work- you'll probably find a good few options in any city. It's best if you go with a couple of ideas of things you'd like but they'll be able to help best with what is possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namita Gurung)
    Oooh what are you planning to write in Japanese?
    Well i don't know haha i have been learning Japanese for ages but i only know conversational things :') 'what did you do this weekend?' 始末に何をしましたか' :') might not make the best tattoo xD i think ill ask some of my Japanese friends but maybe just the flower is enough

ReputationRep:
    Well i don't know haha i have been learning Japanese for ages but i only know conversational things :' 'what did you do this weekend?' 始末に何をしましたか' :' might not make the best tattoo xD i think ill ask some of my Japanese friends but maybe just the flower is enough
    :woo: I'm sure it'll be great whatever you choose. I want a tattoo as well but I don't want to get it and think of a better design afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)

it means quite alot to me, i play basketball and so they use it a motivational thing, and say Carpe Diem and play the game. and ive been through alot recently, so it reminds me to take what i have and make the most of what you've got!! :yep:
    Aww that's lovely something to look forward to ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Go see an artist experienced with cover up work- you'll probably find a good few options in any city. It's best if you go with a couple of ideas of things you'd like but they'll be able to help best with what is possible
    Thanks for the advice im going to go to inked up in Chester ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namita Gurung)
    :woo: I'm sure it'll be great whatever you choose. I want a tattoo as well but I don't want to get it and think of a better design afterwards.
    I know what you mean haha if this wasn't a cover up i probably wouldn't be getting one because it's so hard to decide xD

ReputationRep:

Whilst 'carpe diem' has come to take that meaning in English, I'm going to be a bit of a snob (feel free to ignore me!) and say that it actually means something more like 'pluck the day' - Horace, the author of the quote, was writing about how people don't sit back and just enjoy themselves, and reminding people that we all die sooner or later - so enjoy the day as it comes, and don't spend all of your time working to overindulge, or overindulging. But nevertheless, it's a lovely quote to get on a tattoo, and I hope all goes well!
    Well i don't know haha i have been learning Japanese for ages but i only know conversational things :' 'what did you do this weekend?' 始末に何をしましたか' :' might not make the best tattoo xD i think ill ask some of my Japanese friends but maybe just the flower is enough
    You should totally join TSR's Japanese society! Maybe you could get something like 花(はな, meaning flower) underneath if you want some Japanese?

ReputationRep:
    Oh Japanese society? how do i join that?
    I've decided im going to just have the lotus ^^ thanks for the suggestion though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarchika)
    Whilst 'carpe diem' has come to take that meaning in English, I'm going to be a bit of a snob (feel free to ignore me!) and say that it actually means something more like 'pluck the day' - Horace, the author of the quote, was writing about how people don't sit back and just enjoy themselves, and reminding people that we all die sooner or later - so enjoy the day as it comes, and don't spend all of your time working to overindulge, or overindulging. But nevertheless, it's a lovely quote to get on a tattoo, and I hope all goes well!

You should totally join TSR's Japanese society! Maybe you could get something like 花(はな, meaning flower) underneath if you want some Japanese?
    omg i actually love that!!! Thank you for explanation!!! i think i'd defiantly get this done, i love the idea of actually being able to explain to someone why i have go the tattoo and the meaning behind it to be quite deep!!

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 542875
    Here it is.. im a bit embarrased about it because its so lame :'] I dont really have any preference other than keeping it small XD to be honest i dont feel like i want a tattoo at all anymore but I cant afford laser so a cover up seems the best bet
    If you aren't sure that you even want a tattoo, I wouldn't add to what you've got at the moment. You might end up deciding to go for it in the future, but while you're still unsure I wouldn't make it any bigger, especially since you may end up regretting the cover-up tattoo as well. Also, in the future, you may be able to afford laser removal treatment (although I have absolutely no idea how much it costs) if you conclude that you wish to get rid of it.

At the moment you could cover it with a watch or bracelet if you don't like the look of it.

Spoiler:
    Show
    EDIT: I don't wish to discourage you or make you second-guess yourself if you've already settled on a cover-up tattoo. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Japanese society? how do i join that?
    I've decided im going to just have the lotus ^^ thanks for the suggestion though
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=837 we're this society (should be able to join in the top-right corner) but perhaps more importantly, this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=421965 - come say hi! We're a quiet, but warm bunch.

omg i actually love that!!! Thank you for explanation!!! i think i'd defiantly get this done, i love the idea of actually being able to explain to someone why i have go the tattoo and the meaning behind it to be quite deep!!

:hugs:
    Ah, it's no problem!! I was worried I'd come off a bit arrogant >-< I'm glad you still like the quote; Horace's poetry has a bunch of really lovely phrases! <3 this particular quote sort of relates to Horace's possibly Epicurean beliefs - a school of philosophy practiced in Ancient Greece in around 300BC! (Horace was writing around 50BC - so 250 years later these ideas were still going strong!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana00)
    If you aren't sure that you even want a tattoo, I wouldn't add to what you've got at the moment. You might end up deciding to go for it in the future, but while you're still unsure I wouldn't make it any bigger, especially since you may end up regretting the cover-up tattoo as well. Also, in the future, you may be able to afford laser removal treatment (although I have absolutely no idea how much it costs) if you conclude that you wish to get rid of it.

At the moment you could cover it with a watch or bracelet if you don't like the look of it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    EDIT: I don't wish to discourage you or make you second-guess yourself if you've already settled on a cover-up tattoo. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you.
    Thanks for the advice, you're right and I'll definitely think hard about it i won't be getting it for at least two weeks so ill weigh up the pros and cons ^^

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, you're right and I'll definitely think hard about it i won't be getting it for at least two weeks so ill weigh up the pros and cons ^^
    Oh, okay then! I just didn't want you to rush into anything you might end up regretting!

ReputationRep:
    I went to get it done today but unfortunately the design i chose isn't really possible without it being a massive tattoo boohoo im sad.. Back to the drawing board

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.