Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How screwed am I? (Career wise) Watch

• Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So wait, should I omit the Certificate of higher education or include it in my CV? Explaining a 3 year gap is gonna be challenging.

So i should omit the CertHe and make something up then? Do you think they'll ask for transcripts for both universities?
    Put your CV up on the CV Help thread and I'll sort it out. The answer is that it depends on what you've got and what you are applying for, but things aren't nearly as gloomy as your first post makes out wrt to a CV and a career.

ReputationRep:
    There are several things wrong with this.

Your age should not be a factor in ANY employment decision. This is illegal. In fact most companies will automatically reject your application if it includes your age as it puts them at risk of potentially discriminating.

Do you have to include that you failed your first few times? I certainly wouldn't be. If you've part time/full time jobs you can list during those periods, list them. That or just say you left university for a few years, worked, and went back to finish your degree.

You are only 24. I graduated at 24 because I did a five year course and a gap year, it's not the end of the world by any means.

I suspect you have two issues here really:

A) You are clearly feeling down about your experiences and I believe that is reflecting through to your applications/interviews. You can't take negativity into these things, you need to be positive, believe in yourself and present a perfect package to potential employers. Being overly honest/bringing up non-essential negative information will only ever hurt you.

B) Are you sure you're not just overestimating how employable you are? I don't wish to be cruel here, but we're not in the 1970's or 1980's where a degree was gold dust and guaranteed you a decent job. A large number of graduates end up in unrelated, non-graduate jobs after graduating, and it's entirely possible you are just falling into this category, rather than it having anything to do with your history. The best way to ensure employment after university is unfortunately to do STEM subjects and go to good institutions.

I suggest you polish your CV, applications and everything to a mirror shine. Your careers office at university should be able to help with this, along with mock interviews etc.

I personally went through at least a dozen CV iterations along with dozens of applications before I got a graduate job, it's unfortunately not an easy process and you need to make yourself stand out from the crowd (for good reasons!).

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Lol what's fake about it?
    You said you repeated your second year three times. There wouldn't be the funding for this you do realise??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    You said you repeated your second year three times. There wouldn't be the funding for this you do realise??
    They said they paid 10k to do it? If he was working off the old fees system of 3k per year, this would be about right.

I'm not going to claim to have intimate familiarity with the funding for resits, but given they claim they paid money themselves, I don't necessarily see why it couldn't be true.

At any rate, even if they are fake, someone else might gain value from the thread.

(Original post by threeportdrift)
    Put your CV up on the CV Help thread and I'll sort it out. The answer is that it depends on what you've got and what you are applying for, but things aren't nearly as gloomy as your first post makes out wrt to a CV and a career.
    Is there anyway i can PM it to you? I would like to remain anonymous and would need to edit out personal information.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyway i can PM it to you? I would like to remain anonymous and would need to edit out personal information.
    Definitely edit out personal information, but if you posted it on a forum then multiple people can give advice (note it may not all be good).

Honestly, I would take it to a professional in your careers department over posting it here. No offense to the above poster, but you've no idea who the people reviewing it here are or if they've a clue what they're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elivercury)
    Definitely edit out personal information, but if you posted it on a forum then multiple people can give advice (note it may not all be good).

Honestly, I would take it to a professional in your careers department over posting it here. No offense to the above poster, but you've no idea who the people reviewing it here are or if they've a clue what they're talking about.
    I still don't buy it

ReputationRep:
    Ok i know this is in the wrong place but i have to put it here. I failed my degree due to a host of anxiety and depression issues and spent 3 years at uni only to leave with a Certificate of Higher education. The next 2 years were spent working a load of rubbish dead end jobs, undergoing intensive therapy to fix the abandonment, neglect and abusive issue i had growing up and saving up to pay for one year on university with student finance to pay for my third and final year.

I have repeated my second year 3 times and i should complete it with a 2:1 overall (just one more exam result left to come out) I have been applying for placements throughout the year and have received multiple rejections. I had only one interview which seemed very promising but i got rejected at the last minute which was very heartbreaking.I think the fact that I've failed a degree previously and the fact that i'm 24 is what could be behind this but i'm not 100% sure.

I saved up about £10k which i used to pay for my second year at another university where i'm much happier, confident and in control of my life. The third year in quite soon and i feel like i'm included in the whole university and in life as I've gotten a good idea of what to do for my dissertation topic and what to do.

The key issue here is whether i'll be eligible for a grad scheme or a placement due to my age and the fact that I've failed once before. This of course will affect my future earning prospects and mate attraction because as you get older you're expected as a man to have more money and be in more control of your life.

I live at home to save money which is not very nice at almost 25 when people i started uni originally with are buying homes, getting married and having children. I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others but i can't help it. Part of me wants to die so that i don't have to face the grim reality, but another part refuses to accept defeat so easily.

The £10k i saved up could've been used to put down a deposit for a house but i don't think i regret going back to uni. What i wanna know is, am i screwed when it come to applying for grad schemes/jobs or will employers simply not hire me due to my age and my earlier failure??

Will i be able to attract a decent woman seeing as i'm almost 25 and still a virgin with no past relationships? I've been asking girls out a lot but keep receiving a TON of rejections which is depressing as hell.

Any help and realistic advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    If this poster has left with a certificate of higher education, as they said they did, that means that the degree is completed and the certificate has been awarded. Always make sure you read the fine print!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    If this poster has left with a certificate of higher education, as they said they did, that means that the degree is completed and the certificate has been awarded. Always make sure you read the fine print!
    I mean you might be right, but given he's getting his CV reviewed, he is going to an awful lot of effort. If he's going to lie about his qualifications then he'll be in hot water down the line.

(Original post by Elivercury)
    They said they paid 10k to do it? If he was working off the old fees system of 3k per year, this would be about right.

I'm not going to claim to have intimate familiarity with the funding for resits, but given they claim they paid money themselves, I don't necessarily see why it couldn't be true.

At any rate, even if they are fake, someone else might gain value from the thread.
    Lol why would i go to the trouble of writing all this at 2am if it's fake? I have just fully completed my second year and this is my 3rd attempt. I paid through my own money (£9k) under the new fee system since I am no longer eligible to pay the £3k.

During my first attempt at university previously, I failed second year the first time due to the side effects of rapidly withdrawing form antidepressants. I made the decision to repeat the year. On my second attempt i passed everything with the exception of the ONE exam. This was due to extenuating circumstances where my grandma suddenly died and i was unable to fill in the form to say this in time even though i'd let the exam office know about it.

I appealed through the university system and they rejected my appeal. I took it to the OIAHE and they also rejected it after keeping me waiting for a whole year for no reason.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    The forum is private, if you look in it now, you won't see any threads in there. That's because you can only see threads you create. Only the CV Helpers (me!) and the Moderators can see all the threads. But of course, if you want to anonymise from me, that's also fine.

(Original post by threeportdrift)
    The forum is private, if you look in it now, you won't see any threads in there. That's because you can only see threads you create. Only the CV Helpers (me!) and the Moderators can see all the threads. But of course, if you want to anonymise from me, that's also fine.

Ok can you link it here for me? I cant seem to find it and i'll go ahead and edit the personal info from my CV.

ReputationRep:
    Lol why would i go to the trouble of writing all this at 2am if it's fake? I have just fully completed my second year and this is my 3rd attempt. I paid through my own money (£9k) under the new fee system since I am no longer eligible to pay the £3k.

During my first attempt at university previously, I failed second year the first time due to the side effects of rapidly withdrawing form antidepressants. I made the decision to repeat the year. On my second attempt i passed everything with the exception of the ONE exam. This was due to extenuating circumstances where my grandma suddenly died and i was unable to fill in the form to say this in time even though i'd let the exam office know about it.

I appealed through the university system and they rejected my appeal. I took it to the OIAHE and they also rejected it after keeping me waiting for a whole year for no reason.
    Have you had any of the student funding eligible to students so far? And why are you posting as anon? What have you got to hide??

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.