Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would it bother you if there was an official International Men's Day? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Where in the world do men get acid thrown in their faces for rejecting someone? Name one country that is matriachal.

I wouldn't be bothered, but I wouldn't spend any time focusing on it (not that I ever do anything for IWD). It's silly so I understand ridicule. Of course men face difficulties but overall they are privileged over women worldwide.
    Men are better leaders

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    There already is one. And why would it bother anyone? It's insignificant anyway.
    Read the OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)

Read the OP
    I have. It's insignificant an unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I have. It's insignificant an unnecessary.
    The OP said there is one already. You then told him that

ReputationRep:
    Someone said we should have an international non-white mens day. WTF?! What would the white males do on that day? And Cor blimey that is one surefire way of increasing racial tension. We should be working to neutralise segregation instead of trying to turn it on its head.

Whoever said that needs to read more:

I mean my white male privilige worked out perfectly. Got myself depression, became a young carer, and a bunch of other screwed up things that happened far before their time.

So yeah, screw the patriarchy! Y'know why? Cause they weren't there when i needed them. Too busy in their god'darn smoke-filled rooms plotting the pocket-money pay-gap!

On the TOPIC of International mens day i am up for that, but it would be even nicer if we could have an international men AND womens day, and it could celebrate the interactions between men and women, although it might be a little bit too close to valentines day in that regard, maybe less lovey and more about interactions between friends, giving people a chance to celebrate unity for once.

Best regards to all of you,
    Francis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
    Wouldnt bother me but I don't see the need for a 'day' for anyone, what exactly does it accomplish?
    The idea behind 'X day' is to raise awareness of issues affecting that group. It's a good idea in concept.

ReputationRep:
    No but I'd find it hilarious if people took it seriously.

Oh, and don't compare it to international women's day, lmfao. There's a clearly separate difference between why the two would exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    No but I'd find it hilarious if people took it seriously.

Oh, and don't compare it to international women's day, lmfao. There's a clearly separate difference between why the two would exist.
    What, pray, is that difference? Do you believe that there are no issues which men suffer from more than women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    What, pray, is that difference? Do you believe that there are no issues which men suffer from more than women?
    I believe that men don't need a day to commemorate and praise their 'struggles' throughout history. Everybody has issues, they don't get a day for it. That doesn't mean men don't have some problems at present but I don't view them as on-par with what women have experienced, and still do experience in various parts of this world, for centuries.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that men don't need a day to commemorate and praise their 'struggles' throughout history. Everybody has issues, they don't get a day for it. That doesn't mean men don't have some problems at present but I don't view them as on-par with what women have experienced, and still do experience in various parts of this world, for centuries.
    Do past struggles matter so much as the current ones?

ReputationRep:
    Men are already privileged tbh

ReputationRep:
    Do past struggles matter so much as the current ones?
    In my opinion, absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, absolutely.
    Then we could go into plenty of wars which only men were allowed to actively fight and die in. Mental issues which stemmed from them such as PTSD, the derision they received when they were simply told to 'man up' from shellshock. Or don't you consider that a problem?

ReputationRep:
    On a worldwide scale men are far less oppressed than women, I don't really think it's necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Then we could go into plenty of wars which only men were allowed to actively fight and die in. Mental issues which stemmed from them such as PTSD, the derision they received when they were simply told to 'man up' from shellshock. Or don't you consider that a problem?
    I do not consider that an issue on par with women's struggles throughout history and not something that needs a day commemorating them as a gender-related struggle. We do commemorate soldiers and the trifles of men at war. I don't think it's about the gender of the participants, though. Also, war is a sticky issue. Lots of men walked in gladly to the wars because of honour and so on but obviously in the case of conscription, there's no opposing argument to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Most days are international mens' days. There's no publicity because it's old news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Perhaps it should be International Non-White Mens day? Then it might be more accepted by the media and perhaps even feminists
    Yea how about an international white guilt day while we're at it?

Where in the world do men get acid thrown in their faces for rejecting someone? Name one country that is matriachal.

I wouldn't be bothered, but I wouldn't spend any time focusing on it (not that I ever do anything for IWD). It's silly so I understand ridicule. Of course men face difficulties but overall they are privileged over women worldwide.
    This made me laugh so hard that I choked on my lemonade!

(Original post by Peroxidation)

Sounds good

Men are privileged over women outside the Western world

ReputationRep:
    Two words for those who think men have had it easy all of their lives: The Draft.

People talk about living under the shadow of nuclear weapons and such, well in many countries people every day live under the shadow of the draft, and even today if the situation necessitated it countries could attempt to use it once again.

I'm so sick of Gender politics. Instead of digging up all the old stuff like i've just done (and which we could continue doing for ten thousand years) we should instead focus our attitudes towards uniting the two genders in terms of true equality, whilst also acknowledging that there are differences between men and women.

Unfortunately in some countries such as China they now believe that both genders are cannon fodder in equal measure, and both young chinese men and women are trained during national service.

One
    Two
    Three
    What are we waiting for?

I don't give a damn
    I'm going to Vietnam.

Best regards
    Francis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)

You're laughter doesn't refute the facts. Show me one country where women hold the upper hand then we'll talk.

ReputationRep:
    You're laughter doesn't refute the facts. Show me one country where women hold the upper hand then we'll talk.
    Britain, America, pretty much the entire western world.

https://mensresistance.wordpress.com...ege-checklist/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.