Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by TheOtherSide.)
    Seriously, be glad you didn't do it. History's torture.

Unless you're good at essay writing, I guess.
    I'm not good at essay writing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kryptonian)
    I'm not good at essay writing.
    Guess it depends on the exam, but History would probably not be for you. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    the worst are n or u
    then you get d,e and f
    and the decent grades a*-c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partyomo)
    Honestly, I'd rather a U, because you'd have to declare an F grade on your UCAS form.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RasputinReborn)
    Honestly, I'd rather a U, because you'd have to declare an F grade on your UCAS form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can people clarify this? Do you not need to declare a U on the UCAS form?

ReputationRep:
    __

ReputationRep:
    They both fail grades you know guys or gals.

ReputationRep:

As much as I love History, I can't seem to get the darn exam technique, and that's what always faults me, and made me grow to hate the qualification, not the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geolowiser)
    Just to clarify, a U is unmarkable or ungradeable, and F is a fail; they both mean the same thing though. In the UK, students at primary and secondary schools typically receive an F, and students in college receive a U. In the states they do not use the U grade as frequently, not did they do it at my unversity.

There may be regional differences I don't know about or even differences between exam boards.
    Every single part of this post is wrong, and the poster doesn't know what he is talking about.

GCSE grades go A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, U, with A*-C being one level of qualification, D-G a lower level qualification, and U being a fail. There's also an X (for people who don't attend the exam), Q ("marks not available" - it means something's gone wrong somewhere, talk to your exams officer), and A^ ("A with distinction", above A*, only in AQA IGCSE Further Maths). (NB: this all changes for people taking their GCSEs in 2017 onwards: then, the grades will go 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,U, with U bein a fail, 1-4 the D-G qualification, and 5-9 the A*-C one).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSam3)
    Every single part of this post is wrong, and the poster doesn't know what he is talking about.

GCSE grades go A*, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, U, with A*-C being one level of qualification, D-G a lower level qualification, and U being a fail. There's also an X (for people who don't attend the exam), Q ("marks not available" - it means something's gone wrong somewhere, talk to your exams officer), and A^ ("A with distinction", above A*, only in AQA IGCSE Further Maths). (NB: this all changes for people taking their GCSEs in 2017 onwards: then, the grades will go 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,U, with U bein a fail, 1-4 the D-G qualification, and 5-9 the A*-C one).
    would you say I'd be better to get an X or an F?

ReputationRep:
    would you say I'd be better to get an X or an F?
    An F is a qualification. An X is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSam3)

Do you know that 4 is a pass. Have you check out how does it work lately?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSpeedyz)
    Do you know that 4 is a pass. Have you check out how does it work lately?
    Erm, yes. Everything in that post is accurate, taken directly from here.

ReputationRep:

I love History it's my favourite subject and I am at an A* in it mainly because I like it. History is a lot of work, contains a lot of essay writing as well as a lot of memory work. If you put the effort into revising History it's all good but it's not a subject for a person who can't be bothered to put the work in. To be good at History good writing skills are vital as History is literally essay writing.

ReputationRep:
    sorry but both F and U are fails
    try and get a C

ReputationRep:
    Can people clarify this? Do you not need to declare a U on the UCAS form?
    Yeah, I think you have to declare all grades apart from an X.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3538633

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Yeah, I think you have to declare all grades apart from an X.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3538633
    would you still get an X if you've completed 50% of the GCSE, but don't turn up to the other 50%?

ReputationRep:
    Technically they are both classified as a fail.

ReputationRep:
    would you still get an X if you've completed 50% of the GCSE, but don't turn up to the other 50%?
    I'm not sure but I don't think so. 50% could be a pass in your subject? Like if you got 100% in those exams I think you could pass (depending on the grade boundaries).
    But honestly, idk and I think it is definitely worth turning up to the exam because (no matter how cheesy it sounds) every mark counts - the few marks that you gain by going could push you up a grade

ReputationRep:
    Practically, anything below a C is basically worthless. No employer or university cares about any grades below a C.

So the moral is; work hard and try to get C+s in everything. (or Bs or As ideally. A lot of unis require B+ in Maths and English)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.