Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs.Grey)
    By what university?
    Durham. Unfortunately I didn't get the necessary grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    Durham. Unfortunately I didn't get the necessary grades.
    Wow, that's so cool tbh. If it was from King's I would've cried bc dream university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs.Grey)
    Wow, that's so cool tbh. If it was from King's I would've cried bc dream university.
    Yeah, it was at the time, but it doesn't mean sh*t when you go through all that hassle to get the offer but don't end up achieving the grades despite working your tail off.

Needless to say I was miserable after results day for like 2 weeks but whatever. Nothing I can do lol.

Good luck in getting in your dream uni King's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    No need for rudeness.

I would NEVER suggest to any of my students that have aspirations to study medicine to give up chemistry. In my opinion if you can't cope with the rigour of a chemistry A level then you will not do well in medical school as the pressure is huge as you can no doubt testify.

Yes there is BMAT and UKCAT but anyone who can score highly in these tests can cope with A level chemistry.
    I don't really see that as rude, it was a simple statement. If anything your being arrogant with your placement of chemistry on a pedestal.

Whilst you seem to place a lot of value in Chemistry you don't actually use much of what you cover in A level in medical school (same with Biology to be honest).

It is up to the medical schools to decide what they want from their students and that is how you should be advising students. To be honest i found Chemistry one of the easier A levels that i completed and would put it behind both Biology and Further Mathematics in terms of difficulty.

I would still advise students to take Chemistry (because it gives more options), but not if they weren't going to get an A in it, and i definitely would not say that they have no chance of getting into medical school without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plrodham1)
    I don't really see that as rude, it was a simple statement. If anything your being arrogant with your placement of chemistry on a pedestal.

Whilst you seem to place a lot of value in Chemistry you don't actually use much of what you cover in A level in medical school (same with Biology to be honest).

It is up to the medical schools to decide what they want from their students and that is how you should be advising students. To be honest i found Chemistry one of the easier A levels that i completed and would put it behind both Biology and Further Mathematics in terms of difficulty.

I would still advise students to take Chemistry (because it gives more options), but not if they weren't going to get an A in it, and i definitely would not say that they have no chance of getting into medical school without it.
    ^^ This guy knows what he's talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone that replied, so the general consensus is that it would limit the universities I can apply to but it wouldn't put at a disadvantage to those who don't require it?
    Basically, in light of my recent exam I'm expecting an E, it was the worst exam I've ever done, needless to say that I don't like Chemistry anyways so why take the full A-Level. I love Biochemistry, I just don't like memorising how a Mass Spectrometer works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TAgirl)
    Thank you to everyone that replied, so the general consensus is that it would limit the universities I can apply to but it wouldn't put at a disadvantage to those who don't require it?
    Basically, in light of my recent exam I'm expecting an E, it was the worst exam I've ever done, needless to say that I don't like Chemistry anyways so why take the full A-Level. I love Biochemistry, I just don't like memorising how a Mass Spectrometer works
    Yes, pretty much.

Do whatever you want to at the end of the day

ReputationRep:
    Majority of UK unis require A level Chemistry, more so than Biology. As said before it will severely limit your options so just keep that in mind.

ReputationRep:

I didn't see it as putting chemistry on a pedestal it's just about being honest. Entry requirements are there for a reason. Sometimes the minimum isn't enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TAgirl)
    You might have done better than you think. See how it goes on results day before deciding to drop it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mliela)
    I didn't see it as putting chemistry on a pedestal it's just about being honest. Entry requirements are there for a reason. Sometimes the minimum isn't enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They are there for a reason, and some universities don't ask for Chemistry, that's why i made the point. Minimum not being enough is irrelevant as this isn't a debate about exceeding grade requirements etc.

When stating that chemistry is there to test how well you do in a rigorous course completely ignoring that biology is also used to assess this, you are putting chemistry on a pedestal.

ReputationRep:
    They are there for a reason, and some universities don't ask for Chemistry, that's why i made the point. Minimum not being enough is irrelevant as this isn't a debate about exceeding grade requirements etc.

When stating that chemistry is there to test how well you do in a rigorous course completely ignoring that biology is also used to assess this, you are putting chemistry on a pedestal.
    But OPs question was centred around chemistry not biology. And everyone knows that overall more universities require chemistry than biology.
    It does boil down to the idea of the minimum. Just because they accept it doesn't mean they don't prefer the opposite.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement
    According to this page 23/33 universities require it. But that might have changed in the last year or so. It's safer to keep your options open and not limit yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mliela)
    But OPs question was centred around chemistry not biology. And everyone knows that overall more universities require chemistry than biology.
    It does boil down to the idea of the minimum. Just because they accept it doesn't mean they don't prefer the opposite.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement
    According to this page 23/33 universities require it. But that might have changed in the last year or so. It's safer to keep your options open and not limit yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said that chemistry should be taken if possible, you seem to be making an argument out of nothing.

OP's question was centred around chemistry but the response from teachchemistry suggested that they thought chemistry was the most important indicator of whether or not the can cope with the course, which is false.

ReputationRep:
    I said that chemistry should be taken if possible, you seem to be making an argument out of nothing.

OP's question was centred around chemistry but the response from teachchemistry suggested that they thought chemistry was the most important indicator of whether or not the can cope with the course, which is false.
    But it's more likely to be the subject that medical schools require. More so than biology.
    I guess we can all conclude that there's still no winning formula for medicine. What will work for some won't work for others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.