Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Statistics here! Much easier than m1 tbh its quite straight forward i am a yr13 further maths student who does M1-M3 and S1 & S2 so yeah i'd recommend S1 tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelpain)
    I'm in year 12 now and I'm doing both modules this year (I'm doing OCR MEI maths). Personally, I find S1 a lot easier, it's problem solving and very formulaic. Saying that, everyone who does Physics in my year finds mechanics really easier, so it's tough . I'll assume you want to do Maths at A2, so I'd recommend doing S1 this year as C1 is the same as IGCSE (which I did) and C2 isn't much harder, then doing M1 next year since you'll need more time to focus on C3 and C4, and physics covers a lot of the mechanics module that you'll be sitting so it won't be much extra work. This is based off the assumption you do both modules, if one is better for uni but you don't want to do it they teach it to you there anyway, unless you're doing econ then pile on stats
    I prefer doing just one module, so if I choose mechanics, but go in the Bio/Chem stream instead, will they teach stats in uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Droneon)
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking about how Stats could help for chem and bio. Did you take Stats and has it helped in Uni?
    I took both, and both have helped at uni, though I don't really like stats myself (I am a pure mathematician). I do know of many people however that use stats in the natural sciences. My academic mother uses it as a major part of her psychology course. Many researchers in the stats department use their knowledge to study ecology and biodiversity. Stats has a very broad range of applications which is why it is so useful.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer doing just one module, so if I choose mechanics, but go in the Bio/Chem stream instead, will they teach stats in uni?
    Yeah definitely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelpain)
    Yeah definitely
    But do you think it will be a bit of a disadvantage learning stats in uni, esp if it's not as in-depth as it will be taught in college? Or will it be taught in-depth in uni too?

ReputationRep:
    But do you think it will be a bit of a disadvantage learning stats in uni, esp if it's not as in-depth as it will be taught in college? Or will it be taught in-depth in uni too?
    Depends what degree you want to do? But majority of universities will teach it in-depth

ReputationRep:
    Everything at uni is more in depth than at sixth form. What I mean by that is the required knowledge is more and you read about the why more for everything, but you spend less time doing practice on each topic.

I did S1, M1, M2, M3 and stats modules + Mechanics at uni. With the same work for each, I got 83 in S1 and 100 in M1 - a different person might have got the reverse of those scores. I personally find mechanics really, really fun, and recently I've been finding stats pretty fun and interesting too.

Whichever you pick will honestly make no difference to you in the future, besides perhaps SLIGHTLY lessening work load in first year of uni. Pick what you think seems more interesting and appealing.

ReputationRep:
    I found that the problem with statistics was that I found it harder to find out WHY I was doing certain things. For me, the course was just remembering lots of processes and what to key in a calculator, how to read a table etc.
    Personally I found stats tedious, but I also know people who love it. If you're really not sure which to pick try looking at tutorial videos to see which one interests you first. Your interest will drive you to work hard and ultimately achieve your potential in whichever you choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasonrose98)
    I found that the problem with statistics was that I found it harder to find out WHY I was doing certain things. For me, the course was just remembering lots of processes and what to key in a calculator, how to read a table etc.
    Personally I found stats tedious, but I also know people who love it. If you're really not sure which to pick try looking at tutorial videos to see which one interests you first. Your interest will drive you to work hard and ultimately achieve your potential in whichever you choose.
    Hmm yeah, that sounds like a good solution. Did you take mechanics as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I'm about to finish my IGCSEs and I'll be moving into AS level in September. I'm taking Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Maths. I don't know if I should take Mechanics or Statistics, because I've heard people say that you don't have to take mechanics unless you're doing further studies in the physics stream, because you won't need it for bio or chem. I doubt I'll be going in the physics stream, although there may be a chance at the end. So will I be able to manage with doing statistics instead of mechanics if I'm not?
    Could really use some help here. Thanks in advance.
    I would reccomend big boy Mechanics based on your other subjects,

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I'm about to finish my IGCSEs and I'll be moving into AS level in September. I'm taking Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Maths. I don't know if I should take Mechanics or Statistics, because I've heard people say that you don't have to take mechanics unless you're doing further studies in the physics stream, because you won't need it for bio or chem. I doubt I'll be going in the physics stream, although there may be a chance at the end. So will I be able to manage with doing statistics instead of mechanics if I'm not?
    If you're doing Physics I would do mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicTree)
    Yeah, it seems that mechanics will help with physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asiimov)
    If you're doing Physics I would do mechanics.

Yeah, it seems that mechanics will help with physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mechanics if you're doing sciences
    Statistics if you're doing business studies or economics

ReputationRep:
    just something to note is that less and less people who only take as level maths are doing mechanics so grade boundaries could be on the rise for future exams

ReputationRep:
    Hmm yeah, that sounds like a good solution. Did you take mechanics as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only just started it now but already prefer it to stats😂

ReputationRep:
    I took both, mechanics last year and stats this year. I found stats to be so much easier than mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasonrose98)
    Only just started it now but already prefer it to stats😂
    Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.