Is Ultron inevitable?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Eliezer Yudkowsky is a researcher of AI - so I guess he has some great info.. all positive no doubt and enough to gain enough funding he requires to carry on his research.. but again I have to say, without reading much information, at this stage, just using common sense alone, it is impossible without a Organic brain of some kind.. and that can use the chemicals required to be actually Intelligent independently and evolve to a more advanced level.

(Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Eliezer Yudkowsky has some good literature around this topic. It's difficult to say but it's definitely possible if we aren't extremely careful. The idea of a recursive intelligence is pretty formidable. But setting standards and implementing intrinsic human values is also possible.

ReputationRep:
    Just done some reading.. and it seems the key is to make software self improve.. ie once the software gains more intelligence than humans, it will be advanced enough to self programme an even better version of itself than humans would be capable of!

No - just NOO, it is impossible in my opinion! Sounds good though

http://agi-conf.org/2015/wp-content/...y_analysis.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iknowbest)
    I am sure these people promote the possibility of AI.. they have made billions in their fields and want to keep people interested in this. I am sure computer technology is far more advanced than we are allowed to purchase.. and they role upgrades out periodically to maximize profits.. when in reality they could already sell a Tablet or Battery with a lot more power and speed that we will have to wait years to be released!!

i still feel it is impossible for computers to become more advanced than a human in how we learn and feel things.. emotions are the key here.. it is what make us human.
    They don't need emotion to be smarter than us.
    Given that not many decades ago the pinnacle of game development was something like Pong and now we have incredibly photorealistic games in such a short amount of time, then I think if we carry on at this rate I reckon technology will sooner or later get to the point where we are able to create an AI smarter than us.

AI would have access to the entire internet to learn straight off the bat, whereas humans are merely lumps of fat when we are born. Over a same amount if time the AI could learn more than us. Basically, just watch a conference about AI to get a more accurate understanding.

ReputationRep:
    Just done some reading.. and it seems the key is to make software self improve.. ie once the software gains more intelligence than humans, it will be advanced enough to self programme an even better version of itself than humans would be capable of!

No - just NOO, it is impossible in my opinion! Sounds good though

http://agi-conf.org/2015/wp-content/...y_analysis.pdf
    Precisely, recursive intelligence. I can't being to fathom the architecture or math involved but I imagine it would be some form of evolved neural network. I can't remember the exact field but it's beyond my comprehension in any case. I am but a lowly undergrad peasant

And it certainly will be possible eventually, we already have a rudimentary understanding of neural networks, relative to our own brains that is. And we have the math too

ReputationRep:
    I agree it has been a massive progress since the 1st simple codes.. and you are right, you just never know what might happen. Scary thought if computers ever did become more advanced than us!
    Indeed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "They don't need emotion to be smarter than us"

I believe emotions are the difference between programming and learning.. and I will try to explain why.

A baby uses emotions ie crying to get attention.. and to show signs of discomfort or pain, hunger or just to be annoying - but in any case by crying and getting the attention it learns that by crying it can get attention.. and uses this method for many other things it needs as it grows up. Also when a child mis-behaves and is shouted at.. it feels that emotion and then LEARNS to behave in a different way... there are many more examples. including love, etc...

So to say emotions do not teach a person or animal something is not true.. only by being natural can we learn and become smarter.. and this is something AI will never simulate... so it will only ever be as smart as the person coding it.. or possibly by a very low chance it could self program and get lucky and make slight improvements to already written code.

ReputationRep:
    There would be a simple solution, unplug the computers infected and wipe them, if you can trust people to turn them off then stop providing power to them. If it was an organic AI then just kill it. Don't tell me it would be morally wrong because if the world is threatened you wouldn't hesitate to destroy it

ReputationRep:
    Actually a very good point.. AI would require a power source although in certain places this could be Solar powered with no off button.. so we would have to cover the solar panels i guess.. unless it had high capacity cells installed that could last for days and days
    (Original post by not_lucas1)
    There would be a simple solution, unplug the computers infected and wipe them, if you can trust people to turn them off then stop providing power to them. If it was an organic AI then just kill it. Don't tell me it would be morally wrong because if the world is threatened you wouldn't hesitate to destroy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    There is a real security company called Skynet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's also a company that develops terminator robot technologies called Cyberdyne Inc.. Maybe Skynet is biding its time in this timeline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    There's also a company that develops terminator robot technologies called Cyberdyne Inc.. Maybe Skynet is biding its time in this timeline.
    True, there's also a Japanese Monsters Inc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.