Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which of the bookies' favourites will win Euro 2016? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which of the favourites will win Euro 2016?
    France
    20.24%
    Germany
    29.12%
    Spain
    11.36%
    England
    24.60%
    Belgium
    4.14%
    Another team
    10.53%

ReputationRep:
    France to win. Home advantage to carry them through the end. England have a decent chance, If they win their group they should be able to get semi finals- but being England, and the way that diamond formation is working out with Rooney in the team as 10 rather than Alli and vary and Kane effectively playing wingers we stand no chance. Should play in form players rather than previously proven.

My starting team would be:
    Hart, Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose, Dier, Sterling, Alli, Wilshire (if fit otherwise Lallana) Kane, Vardy (Could put Rooney here but would be devastating for Vardy since he is in form)

ReputationRep:
    About 1 month back i would have said France 100% (i did vote for them now aswell xD) but the injuries and players they have left behind are masssive losses! However the home advantage always plays its role and even without those players they have great depth and the competitions best attack. Which leads me on to the close seconds Germany who are probably the better rounded team (now Frances defence is weakened) but they dont have an established striker but just an overcrowded CAM,CF department but they could still do it the Germans always play so well in big competitions and have such a great work ethic and Spain have proven that you dont always need a striker to win the big tournaments so who knows?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JCampos)
    Greece didn't have a chance too in 2004 and look what happened.
    Greece could defend.

ReputationRep:
    People are forgetting about Spain for some reason. Still have by far the best squad despite missing a world class striker they could still easily win the competition.

ReputationRep:
    There's a greater possibility of Father Christmas existing than England winning Euro 2016.

ReputationRep:
    Probably Germany. Although I'm patriotic, and would love England to do well, I think we have to be realistic here.

Just so long as we're knocked out after France, I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6thformer25)
    About 1 month back i would have said France 100% (i did vote for them now aswell xD) but the injuries and players they have left behind are masssive losses! However the home advantage always plays its role and even without those players they have great depth and the competitions best attack. Which leads me on to the close seconds Germany who are probably the better rounded team (now Frances defence is weakened) but they dont have an established striker but just an overcrowded CAM,CF department but they could still do it the Germans always play so well in big competitions and have such a great work ethic and Spain have proven that you dont always need a striker to win the big tournaments so who knows?
    Home advantage plays its role? Try telling that to the Brazilian team:

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

CYMRU!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    Home advantage plays its role? Try telling that to the Brazilian team:

yeah thats one bad example but everyone knows it does have an effect

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who thinks that England are going to win is seriously deluded. We have a SHITE team. We're so bad we think Alli,Dier,Smalling,Rashford etc... Are good players. They're average players. We don't have the firepower at the moment to win any tournament, we have no world class players.

England will be knocked out in the group stages 100% .

ReputationRep:
    Had a look at France's team and it surprised me how strong they are. With home advantage as well, I think they will win it

ReputationRep:
    How does England have more votes that France...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    No chance.
    I think Portugal are a genuine dark horse. Everyone has them written off based on past performances, but they have a lot of very exciting young prospects; especially Renato Sanchez and Joao Mario. They are in a very easy group, so they should win that.

The weakness of the team is the lack of options going forward. They really are relying on Cristiano to score in every match.

ReputationRep:
    Do Germany even have a striker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The person)
    They have Gomez but he doesn't seem that great tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The person)
    muller can play up front and podolski

ReputationRep:
    Could we run a Euro prediction thread of some sort like we did for the premier league season?
    Am happy to run it, but need suggestions on a format of some sort?

ReputationRep:
    And just realised there is an entire Euro 2016 subforum with all this in. Delete this thread pls mods, I've made myself look a right nonce
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm concerned about where the goals will come from them, but I can't believe SIX nations have shorter odds than Spain to win the tournament. They are very hardly to beat - they conceded only three goals in qualifying - and while it's probable they won't do a three-peat, I think they're being criminally under-rated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    France almost won the World Cup (the QF Germany-France game was incredibly close and was basically the decider IMO), and they'll have the home advantage this time. Thus France would be my favourites to win, and Germany second-favourites.
    France and Germany both win group then they match in the semi final. They will beat Germany.

Other semi final will be Spain v England with Spain winning.

I reckon Spain will win the final due to experience, but you never know what home advantage can do.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.