Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My parents won't let me go on a holiday with my boyfriend watch

ReputationRep:
    You're an adult. You are allowed to make your own choices regardless of what anyone tells you. While I understand that it is your mother and that she's probably being protective it does not limit you from going anywhere just because she said you can't. You're not a child anymore, it's your responsibility when it comes to making these decisions. Do what is right for you, not what is right for others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montago)
    Me and my boyfriend both are 21. We're from Eastern Europe. My parents know him well and like him a lot. He even stays at out house for holidays and spends summer with us (We live at the seaside). I know his parents too,we've been together for almost 2 years now.Couple months ago he won Green Card and moved to New York,he stays there for 5 months a year to finally get citizenship.He didn't want to move coz of me but I convinced him it was better for our future.We're still together,trust and love eachother. He now wants to buy me tickets and pay for my Visa to take me with him in New York for summer holidays.He wanted me to stay there for a month but my mom is against it so we decided to make it 2 weeks only. We both have always been responsible and mature, have never gotten in any trouble, did very well at school.We both study Law.He is sweet and polite,my parents LIKE HIM! But as soon as I bring up the subject my mom goes crazy,yells at me and responds sarcastically. Also, if I go there, I won't be staying at HIS place but at home of a mother of his friend.I don't know how to convince my mom.He worked so hard to get me tickets and we really don't wanna miss this awesome chance of being in New York together. I mean it's NEW YORK!
    P.S I know I'm 21 and can make my own decisions but I still live with my parents so....Can't just dash out and do whatever I please
    P.S I'm a girl.
    Just go anyway, I'm not even 18 and I was going to go on a cruise with my girlfriend (complications with college prevented that).

ReputationRep:
    They're just being protective but you're 21 and nobody has any right to tell you where you can and can't go on holiday.

Make this clear and go anyway.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    All very well everyone saying do it anyway, but she should still think about the fallout for when she gets back.

ReputationRep:
    Have you asked your mum why she and your dad don't want you to go? Maybe ask her, and then see if you can address her concerns.

ReputationRep:
    She's probably just being over protective

But have you asked her why she doesn't want you to go for a month? Maybe you could convince her that you'll contact her everyday to let her know you're ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they think you're going to naughty stuff with him? Things do happen. My friend said she wasn't going to do anything with a guy friend when she sneaked him over her house. And things did happened. I think your Mom is just looking out for you. I don't think she thinks you'll do something wrong, she might be scared he'll try something with you. Aren't parents regardless of what religion they practice going to be strict and over protective? Lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.