Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Article: How to avoid embarrassing exam mistakes Watch

ReputationRep:
    Back in high school (some 30 years ago), my history teacher gave a warning example about the student who expounded on the role of technology in America's westward expansion. He did fine as he went through the steam engine, the cotton gin, the canal system, the railroads, and so on.

"But greatest of all" (he said) "was the McCormick Raper, which could do the work of 100 men."

ReputationRep:
    One of my references in a finance exam was Majluf, who I always remembered as "Magaluf" because it's easier to remember. Low and behold, I wrote about Magaluf throughout the entire exam.

ReputationRep:
    The biggest ever mistake I made was on a Physics A Level Exam.

I did the questions and for some bizarre reason I stopped on Q7 and thought that was the end of the questions. I rechecked my working and when we had 2 mins left I discovered there was another page with Question 8!!!! My whole heart sank and I missed 15 marks by not checking.

So I always go cover to cover on an exam paper. It was so embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    MINE IS LITERALLY THE WORST!
    In my French Speaking GCSE I wanted to say I want to be a fireman in the future but instead I said I want to give a blow job...just great.

ReputationRep:
    In a recent mock (in the subject where I usually get 98-100%, might I add), I got zero marks on something like a five or six mark question.

I was adamant that nine squared is 36, and ended up getting frustrated and writing 'NO SOLUTIONS' across the page.

Thankfully my teacher is lovely and was very understanding about it. xD

ReputationRep:
    Well, there are four sides to a square.

ReputationRep:
    In my C3 I expanded 3cosec(cosec-1) as 3cosec^2 -3. Not 3cosec^2 -3cosec. Lost upto 5 marks and valuable time.

Youre right about the overinterpretation. It said write the second derivative in terms of y. I ended in rearranging the orginal to make t the subject and substitue when all I need to put was y^3. 😑👎👎

Not only that but my solved answer ended up not working since a modulus cannot have a negative output 😐.

Again overinterpretation - I lost 2 marks to a GCSE factors question....

ReputationRep:
    Slightly different, but I did my grade five music theory exam a few years ago and there's a section where you have to translate loads of performance directions for Latin/French/German/Italian. So I got asked to translate più, and I always remembered that word as poo (I was 12 at the time) so I actually ended up writing poo instead of the actual meaning (more). Probably would have got a distinction if it weren't for that blunder...

ReputationRep:
    in my Spanish igcse oral, I said that my dog stopped smoking instead of my dad.

also in another biology exam, I accidentally wrote that the hypotenuse was a part of the brain instead of the hippocampus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.