Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longshot100)
    Just checked my own post, and yeah I did say "at most two", didn't I? I was just trying to make a point and I was focusing more on trying to make my overall explanation legible.
    Yeah,I get that, it is a complicated topic and difficult to simplify

ReputationRep:
    In case anyone's still interested.. I think this is a really good question. Theoretically instead of chromosomes making copies and dividing into 4, the cell could just split in two and you still have 23 chromosomes in each. Genetic recombination and exchange of DNA is still perfectly possible between the chromosomes. So why does the body go to all of the trouble of making copies of chromosomes and splitting the cell twice? Especially if the end result is the same..

The theory is because Meiosis is evolved from Mitosis. Before there were animals who could mate and reproduce with gametes, single celled organisms such as bacteria would reproduce using mitosis. During mitosis chromosomes have to be replicated in order to produce a functional clone of a cell. As meiosis developed, instead of changing the whole process of cell replication and eliminating chromosome replication, the cell would divide twice instead of once. This produces haploid cells or gametes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.