Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B984 – Vaccinations in Children Bill 2016 (Second Reading) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I think that may indeed work better. The chances are with prisons in their current state any sentance given for a crime like this would be suspended. With finite spaces they should be reserved for more serious cases.
    Exactly. Plus prison costs money. They point is it's supposed to be a deterrent and punishment, so you gotta make that hurt.

ReputationRep:
    It is someone's right to refuse treatment. As much as I think this bill is a good idea, the penalties should be lessened as £1000 is a lot of money for some people and exceptions based on religion should be added.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatDoesntTickle)
    It is someone's right to refuse treatment.
    Should they have that right in situations where refusing treatment will put more people around them at risk?

As much as I think this bill is a good idea, the penalties should be lessened as £1000 is a lot of money for some people and exceptions based on religion should be added.
    I agree cost-wise. Again, for exemptions based on religion, is faith really as important as preventing deaths from people around them?

ReputationRep:
    There are two section 4s; the second should be retitled to '5. Commencement and short title' considering it does not refer to extent. Also, section 2(2) really needs to say '1.2' instead; at the moment this divides the fine by 5 for subsequent offences.

ReputationRep:
    It is someone's right to refuse treatment. As much as I think this bill is a good idea, the penalties should be lessened as £1000 is a lot of money for some people and exceptions based on religion should be added.
    1. Exceptions because of religion? Lol, no way.

2. And yes to some, to some it's nothing. So as I said, scale it according to net worth.

Anyway, I would be all for compulsory vaccination at schools, not "compulsory" in the sense that parents can opt out (financially).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The prison sentence will be handed at the decision of a judge, I think it is fair to have the option of a prison sentence if the judge feels a prison sentence is a better punishment for rich parents who repeatedly break the law by not vaccinating their children.
    You may need a third reading - you've not mentioned where this will extend to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    You may need a third reading - you've not mentioned where this will extend to.
    It would extend to the whole of the United Kingdom but that is a minor change I would add to the bill before it goes to the Division Lobby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    1. Exceptions because of religion? Lol, no way.
    Jehovah's Witnesses still opt-out from blood transfusions, I am by no means saying we should let religion police medical ethics. However people have the right to choose and to consent.

ReputationRep:
    Jehovah's Witnesses still opt-out from blood transfusions, I am by no means saying we should let religion police medical ethics. However people have the right to choose and to consent.
    That is completely different to vaccinations.

If you die because of lack of blood that's your problem.

If you don't vaccinate and in turn infect others, you hurt others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    That is completely different to vaccinations.

If you die because of lack of blood that's your problem.

If you don't vaccinate and in turn infect others, you hurt others.
    So we should force people against their will to be vaccinated?

ReputationRep:
    Children are too young to be making potentially life-threatening decisions on the basis of religion, given that religion will be of the parent rather than the children themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

If it's either respect 1 person's religion or save 5 people from severe injury or death, I would pick the 5 every time.

ReputationRep:
    Well, not an adult. Kids require vaccinations though.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, yes of course.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill was voted upon quite some time ago.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.