Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mathematics education is useless. Discuss (16) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacarch12)
    I disagree, obviously god created us and therefore the creation of the internet is a creation of GOD.

Cya bbs
    Yes but God made humans create it using mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    Good luck implementing a back propagating lstm neural network without any understanding of calculus: http://www.felixgers.de/papers/phd.pdf

You'll have even more fun on Neural Turing Machines,
    here's the paper https://arxiv.org/pdf/1410.5401.pdf, no further help from the creators on how to implement it exists.
    Very interesting. But my point still remains valid, why is it forced if the person wont be going into the profession?

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, obviously god created us and therefore the creation of the internet is a creation of GOD.
    But did God also create the cake?

Because apparently the cake is a lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    it's all about training your brain. maths is one of the most important subjects!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why do you personally think it is important?

Is it because of its importance in the sciences?

What is important to one person isn't to another? How would you challenge that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Scorchy)
    But did God also create the cake?

Because apparently the cake is a lie.
    God can honestly go suck it.

The cake is INDEED A LIE.

: )

ReputationRep:
    Maths is not pointless, nearly every important invention that has ever been created by man kind maths has been involved in a way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting. But my point still remains valid, why is it forced if the person wont be going into the profession?
    Because people who do not know maths can be tricked by misuse of mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    That is actually the first non-troll point you have made.

1. You need a varied education, and that includes maths, it also trains your brain.2

2. Some level of maths makes life easier, you do come across fractions and percentages even if you do not work in a field directly need mathematics.

3. How will you understand things like tax? You wouldn't know what buttons to press.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.