Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can i get into economics degree with maths further maths economics watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingYusHalo)
    You are deluded my friend.
    Maths+Further Maths is one of the best subjects to take if you are going into economics or something technical.
    Did you know Cambridge(I know, you're not applying here) gives out offers for Economics using STEP III which is hardcore Further Maths? This shows that Maths+FM is very important for this degree. And please, don't think that Econ is like history or geography. It is a very technical subject(well, not like engineering) so FM is very important for you.
    Your subject combination of Maths+FM+Econ is very good. Drop chem if you don't like
    No.

The problem with Maths & FM is that they count it as one subject.

If OP drops chemistry, he will in their eyes only have 2 subjects left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    I was thinking about going Loughbourough, but idk if it has a good image. In the sense I know it is one of the top universities but anyone I ask has never heard of it.

I wanna do Aeronautical Engineering haha

I guess it depends where you are on the map, like its only a hour from em so everyone my grammar school speaks highly of it, I also like 20 mins from Warwick uni which everyone praises. But i was looking at the league table and had no clue and had never heard of Herion Watts or something and thats like 8th x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieacraig)
    I guess it depends where you are on the map, like its only a hour from em so everyone my grammar school speaks highly of it, I also like 20 mins from Warwick uni which everyone praises. But i was looking at the league table and had no clue and had never heard of Herion Watts or something and thats like 8th x
    I am from London my 5 unis are most likely.

Durham
    Bristol
    Loughborough
    Surrey
    Queen Mary

Which do you think out of the 5 are good haha

ReputationRep:

Durham
    Bristol
    Loughborough
    Surrey
    Queen Mary

Durham's nickname is dulham lol, its boring as fook

Bristol is amazing highly respectable
    Loughborough is also very respectable and Leicester is lovely and the people are great

idk the other two well enough to comment

ReputationRep:
    Durham's nickname is dulham lol, its boring as fook

Bristol is amazing highly respectable
    Loughborough is also very respectable and Leicester is lovely and the people are great

idk the other two well enough to comment
    ooo why is it boring haha.

I have a feeling I might go to Bristol if I get my grades :P. Where do you plan on going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mliela)
    I said most for a reason. Some are different.
    Actually for Economics I just checked a bunch of unis (Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, LSE, E&M at King's, Bristol, Bath) and also checked their general entry requirements page, and the only one which specifies that you need to take 4 if you're doing FM is LSE which the OP isn't applying to

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...uirements.aspx

And this isn't for a lacking of specification, eg on the website for Bath it says:

Preferred subject combinations:

Candidates offering the following types of narrow subject combinations are less likely to receive an offer:

Business Studies and Economics
    Accounting and Business Studies
    English Literature and English Language.

and almost all of the websites checked say "excluding general studies" yet still make no mention of not counting further maths. I literally think it's only some Oxbridge and LSE courses which do this, so definitely not most, by any stretch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    No.

The problem with Maths & FM is that they count it as one subject.

If OP drops chemistry, he will in their eyes only have 2 subjects left.
    I didn't see that the OP was applying to LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Is LSE the only university to consider maths&FM as one?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    OP isn't applying to LSE ("... not lse or oxbridge or anything")

Did you know Cambridge(I know, you're not applying here) gives out offers for Economics using STEP III which is hardcore Further Maths?
    Cambridge Economics offers specifying a STEP requirement are rare.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone a Loughborough who didn't even do economics at A level and got in. He got AAB i think.
    Economics is generally not a pre-requisite for studying economics, but maths is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    This year im hoping for As in maths further maths and economics and a B in chemistry AS and hope to get an A*AA preidiction in maths further maths economics if i drop chem however i have heard some unis dont like maths and further maths
    im thinking of ucl sheffield southampton manchester kings not lse or oxbridge or anything
    *Some* Unis don't like further maths and maths used as 2 separate subject and want 4 A level subjects when this happens. Check the individual course websites, but most will be fine. I'm going to do an Economics degree with Maths, English, and Physics. Most just want you to be good at maths Good luck, OP!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Gapyearstudent54)
    *Some* Unis don't like further maths and maths used as 2 separate subject and want 4 A level subjects when this happens. Check the individual course websites, but most will be fine. I'm going to do an Economics degree with Maths, English, and Physics. Most just want you to be good at maths Good luck, OP!
    See above answers (...only LSE).
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Durham
    Bristol
    Loughborough
    Surrey
    Queen Mary

Hey mahmzo

Great to hear you're considering Loughborough

If you have any questions about the course or Loughborough more generally that would help with your decision, just shout!

Teresa

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.