Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Domciuz)
    What career are you aiming for? What would you say is the most popular career that your fellow study buddies choose? haha
    I'm aiming to study a PhD and do research and work in academia as a lecturer. I would say the career choices of people on my course is massively varied. Some are keen on careers in finance or insurance where as others are interested in teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swizzel)
    Just finished my 3rd year of a 5 year MSci in Maths and although it is incredibly challenging I absolutely love it. It is very different to maths at school and in my opinion your feelings towards maths at uni may be the complete opposite to whatever you think of it at the moment.

As others have said algebra and analysis are key areas and if you don't like them then maths is not for you because they are the main components. Definitely look into these areas and see if it sparks an interest in you.

At my uni we have considerably more lectures than other courses and this year I had 7 exams compared to other subjects who only had 2 or 3. Also maths tends to be mainly examined by exams so there is no essays or coursework to boost your grade.

I would say the drop out rate is fairly high. My course in first year began with approximately 500 people which has now dropped to about 100 although this includes people who have changed degree and who only took maths modules as an elective.

If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.
    What other courses have the most joint lectures with the maths department?

Badly worded but I mean out of the non math students, who are you most often in a lecture with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thad33)
    What other courses have the most joint lectures with the maths department?

Badly worded but I mean out of the non math students, who are you most often in a lecture with?
    I would say there is a lot of very random combinations that some people take with maths. I would say some of the most common are statistics, physics, chemistry, computing so a lot of science based courses although there are some with english and French as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    At my uni it is usually 21 hours per semester
    Don't you mean 21 hours per week? 21 per semester is really low.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by TimGB)
    Don't you mean 21 hours per week? 21 per semester is really low.
    :lol: week, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swizzel)
    I would say there is a lot of very random combinations that some people take with maths. I would say some of the most common are statistics, physics, chemistry, computing so a lot of science based courses although there are some with english and French as well.
    Do the engineering students sit in with you or do they have their own maths lectures?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thad33)
    Do the engineering students sit in with you or do they have their own maths lectures?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At my university engineering is completely separate from maths but that may not be the same for all unis

ReputationRep:
    Maths at uni is really easy i auditted many classes from age 13 mostly on analytic number theory differential geometry and differential topology,

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.