Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Means-tested loans for students with divorced parents Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Mod note - this forum is for helping people. Not debates on how unfair the system is. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mliela)
    There are always loopholes in every system. You just have to accept that it can never be perfect.
    It isn't perfect, but it could certainly be made better and when I started this thread, I had no idea how unfair it really is, I thought, and was told, you had to declare child support when filling out the student loans form and people just didn't to get bigger loans, but now I realise that isn't even part of it - only the income of the parent you live with is assessed, no matter if your other parent is a millionaire throwing money at you. Found this article, outdated, but it gives you an idea how much it is costing the government and how unfair it is to other students: http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...s-poor-divorce

And you are right: "forcing divorcees to pay for their children would require heavy-handed administration and enforcement procedures." Maybe they'll find a way to make it just a little bit stricter for students with divorced parents sometime in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Mod note - this forum is for helping people. Not debates on how unfair the system is. Thanks!
    Sorry. It a debate accidentally took place. I guess we can agree that the system isn't perfect and there's not much we can do but accept it and make the most of what we have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mliela)
    Sorry. It a debate accidentally took place. I guess we can agree that the system isn't perfect and there's not much we can do but accept it and make the most of what we have.
    Agreed

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.