Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Essex University gives female staff one-off pay rises in order to close gender pay ga Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Roast)
    Do you really think the UoE were intentionally paying women less than men? If so then hundreds and hundreds of companies should be sued - but they're not.
    Lots of public sector organisations have been sued for this and there has been a massive catch up exercise.

The way it happened is that in the early days of pay equality in the 1970s, organisations made up ways to preserve existing pay differentials. One way of doing that was to create a lot of senior posts where there were a lot of men and create a lot of junior posts where there were a lot of women. Often the numbers in each grade simply replicated the existing discriminatory salary structure and therefore embedded it.

Differentials were then much more important in pay bargaining because of high inflation. With prices going up by 20% a year, headline pay was not a reliable indicator of earnings. Hence employees and their unions strove to ensure that one group continued to be ahead of a another group by a similar margin.

So if you look at the English faculty and the physics faculty, does Essex have a lot of full professorship posts in the the physics faculty and lots of junior lectureship posts in the English faculty?

You pay each full professor the same salary regardless of faculty and gender and you pay each junior lecturer the same salary regardless of faculty and gender, but the plain fact is there will be many more men earning more than women because a woman is more likely to be in a junior grade than in a senior one.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Does anyone see how stupid this is?
    The UNIVERSITY pays its staff, it decides who gets what, it's down to them.
    Stupid in what sense? Their right to make the change or the fact they have made it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Stupid in what sense? Their right to make the change or the fact they have made it?
    why are they giving them more money? are they saying that their female workers are paid less than the men for the same work?

ReputationRep:
    “This decision ensures we reward people in a fair way, based upon their contribution to our community, regardless of their personal characteristics."

Are they ****ing retarded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    You are missing the point because that isn't what I'm saying and I didn't trivialise 'rape' - it's a commonly used phrase in such situations.
    What are you saying then? Because I haven't worked in any work place where women haven't been the major source of chatter over looks. It's anecdotal of course, but the point is people evaluate others from their looks all the time and both genders do it equally "you seen that new guy? **** me take me now" type comments, of course men do it about women as well. The issue is when you do it in a public situation that makes it inappropriate, which in fairness men seem to do much more often than woman, because men seem less likely to be able to think before they speak.

Also a commonly used phrase? Not in normal day to day conversation, it's used be SJW's/extreme feminists...that's about it.

I mean if someone slaps a cute waiters arse while tipsy on holiday, has she raped his rear end with her hand? Not much of a stretch for their logic tbh. (of course they won't have because he's male, but you get the point)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    What are you saying then? Because I haven't worked in any work place where women haven't been the major source of chatter over looks. It's anecdotal of course, but the point is people evaluate others from their looks all the time and both genders do it equally "you seen that new guy? **** me take me now" type comments, of course men do it about women as well. The issue is when you do it in a public situation that makes it inappropriate, which in fairness men seem to do much more often than woman, because men seem less likely to be able to think before they speak.

Also a commonly used phrase? Not in normal day to day conversation, it's used be SJW's/extreme feminists...that's about it.

I mean if someone slaps a cute waiters arse while tipsy on holiday, has she raped his rear end with her hand? Not much of a stretch for their logic tbh. (of course they won't have because he's male, but you get the point)

You're being very pedantic about the phrase. Applying logic to it - like, what?

I'll reply to the first half in a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    You're being very pedantic about the phrase. Applying logic to it - like, what?
    I just don't get why you'd use it as a serious phrase when it doesn't represent what's going on, like I say, for use by extremists of course, but not normal people.

If someone rapes you with their eyes for finding you attractive, do they rape you with your voice if they compliment you when you don't wish to be? Like I say, seems to trivialize the word tbh. Bit like when you call everyone a ****, you gotta save it for situations when it's right to pull the c out.

Tbf though we're distracting from the actual thread. As long as the women are not now out earning men in pay per hr it's obviously not an issue and is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't get why you'd use it as a serious phrase when it doesn't represent what's going on, like I say, for use by extremists of course, but not normal people.

If someone rapes you with their eyes for finding you attractive, do they rape you with your voice if they compliment you when you don't wish to be? Like I say, seems to trivialize the word tbh. Bit like when you call everyone a ****, you gotta save it for situations when it's right to pull the c out.
    Who defines 'normal'? You? I've heard a lot of people use the phrase. And I'd hardly 'trivialise' something I ardently condemn.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.