The Student Room Group

No hope for medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by iamlucy
Hey everyone! To those currently doing exams, I hope they're going well and good luck for the forthcoming weeks!

I am currently doing my AS levels, and unfortunately, I fear thus far, that they have gone pretty poorly.

I study chemistry (AQA) , biology (AQA), english literature (OCR) and history (AQA)...and general studies, but, well, no one gives a crap about that :wink: After every exam I've done a best case scenario and a worse case scenario, and whilst 3 exams remain, I can probably accurately predict that my grades will be:

Chemistry - C
Biology - B
English - B
History - A
General studies - A

At GCSE I achieved 9A*s and 2As, but this year, I've really struggled with the transition to a new school, the increased content and difficulty, as well as social factors ( I left an all girls school to a mixed school), overall, this has led to some potentially shocking grades (not shocking overall, but potentially ruining for medicine).

This is where my question comes in. Considering the new course changes, meaning AS is not carried towards any final grade at A2, do you think (that providing my UKCAT score is good/above average too (i'll start revising soon :wink:)), that given my GCSEs, that I would be successful in my pursuit of medicine? Or would you advise not applying next year, but aiming for a gap year instead, and only applying to Uni once I actually have my A2s?

Thank you in advance to anyone :smile:

I did similar to you at AS (except maths instead of history) and an A in English. Whilst I'm no longer applying for medicine, due to the course changes and your excellent GCSEs (which now have a much higher status as AS levels don't count towards your A level) I think you have a better chance than people in previous years (on the old specs). Try applying, but make sure you have plenty of work experience, placements in medical environments and take part in as many medical related activities as possible. These will make you look more favourable even if your grades aren't all As. A good grade in the entry tests will also be a massive help.
Don't be disappointed if you aren't accepted this year as medicine is super competitive. Work super hard at A2. If you need to do retakes check how many your chosen universities allow for medicine as sometimes it is only one per subject (if they allow retakes). Research your choices well, and don't be disappointed if you don't get in first time. Use a gap year to gain loads of experience and if you still don't get the grades you want at A2 eg AAB instead of AAA then you can always do I biomedical degree and get into medicine that way.
Just keep working hard!
Good luck with your remaining exams!
Reply 21
Original post by iamlucy
Hey everyone! To those currently doing exams, I hope they're going well and good luck for the forthcoming weeks!

I am currently doing my AS levels, and unfortunately, I fear thus far, that they have gone pretty poorly.

I study chemistry (AQA) , biology (AQA), english literature (OCR) and history (AQA)...and general studies, but, well, no one gives a crap about that :wink: After every exam I've done a best case scenario and a worse case scenario, and whilst 3 exams remain, I can probably accurately predict that my grades will be:

Chemistry - C
Biology - B
English - B
History - A
General studies - A

At GCSE I achieved 9A*s and 2As, but this year, I've really struggled with the transition to a new school, the increased content and difficulty, as well as social factors ( I left an all girls school to a mixed school), overall, this has led to some potentially shocking grades (not shocking overall, but potentially ruining for medicine).

This is where my question comes in. Considering the new course changes, meaning AS is not carried towards any final grade at A2, do you think (that providing my UKCAT score is good/above average too (i'll start revising soon :wink:)), that given my GCSEs, that I would be successful in my pursuit of medicine? Or would you advise not applying next year, but aiming for a gap year instead, and only applying to Uni once I actually have my A2s?

Thank you in advance to anyone :smile:

I did similar to you at AS (except maths instead of history) and an A in English. Whilst I'm no longer applying for medicine, due to the course changes and your excellent GCSEs (which now have a much higher status as AS levels don't count towards your A level) I think you have a better chance than people in previous years (on the old specs). Try applying, but make sure you have plenty of work experience, placements in medical environments and take part in as many medical related activities as possible. These will make you look more favourable even if your grades aren't all As. A good grade in the entry tests will also be a massive help.
Don't be disappointed if you aren't accepted this year as medicine is super competitive. Work super hard at A2. If you need to do retakes check how many your chosen universities allow for medicine as sometimes it is only one per subject (if they allow retakes). Research your choices well. Use a gap year to gain loads of experience and if you still don't get the grades you want at A2 eg AAB instead of AAA then you can always do a biomedical degree and get into medicine that way.
Just keep working hard!
Good luck with your remaining exams!
Original post by iamlucy
That's so interesting! And I can obviously sympathise with you greatly - it's an odd situation and one that's really dampened my hopes :frown: A massive good luck to you too, if you ever want to talk to someone, seeing as we're in such a similar situation, feel free to message me :smile:

ikr! and yeah I feel like all my GCSE grades are useless now since I let myself down with rubbish AS grades.:frown: I'm slowly accepting my mistakes and moving on, don't lose hope because if we learn from our mistakes this year and actually work hard next year and (hopefully!) get all A/A*s at A2 we could get some unconditional offers after a gap year since we have good GCSE grades. The only thing is I have to face my parents disappointment too, especially when they find out I'll be starting uni a year later than I could've if i put the effort in. Have you talked to your parents about it? :bricks: This summer I'll just try aceing my UKCAT/BMAT so I have one less thing to worry about next year. :closedeyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending