Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leukocyte)
    Have you bothered to report any of this or come on TSR to complain about the lack of this and that?

Few pounds, are you serious?

Lol don't lie. I've booked tickets on the Europe trains too and they're aren't any better.
    In Sweden you can get a nice modern train from Stockholm to Copenhagen for £20. Or Oslo to Stockholm, Stockholm to Kiruna, all cheap and excellent service. Norway is the same, and Denmark.

Germany is more expensive, but you travel on their ICE trains which are so much better than British trains in every way. Just google them.

You pay for what you get in Germany. In the uk you pay the most, but get little in way of quality compared with he rest of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Only a small proportion of what you paid actually goes to train operating company. Majority of the ticket cost goes to national rail (for tracks,stations, signalling), a smaller proportion to rolling stock leasing companies (for the trains) . Again only a small proportion of the service you received today is from the train operating company. The question you should be asking is how a publicly funded and public company of National rail be so badly run and never be made accountable for it.

Also I'm assuming you've bought the ticket on the day of travel which is the reason for the extortionate amount.

(Original post by Voi)
    In Sweden you can get a nice modern train from Stockholm to Copenhagen for £20. Or Oslo to Stockholm, Stockholm to Kiruna, all cheap and excellent service. Norway is the same, and Denmark.

Germany is more expensive, but you travel on their ICE trains which are so much better than British trains in every way. Just google them.

You pay for what you get in Germany. In the uk you pay the most, but get little in way of quality compared with he rest of the world.
    These are heavily subsidized by the government, so you pay by taxes in Germany/Sweden. In the UK this amount is much less, (I think approximately 1/3 compared to these countries)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)

I know that train tickets are very cheap back in Europe. Cost my whole family only £53!

Don't want to sound rude but just deal with it. UK and Germany are different. Britons don't like being compared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    yes but surely they are natural monopolies? i mean you wouldnt exactly want multiple water companies
    I do see your point yes, Though in the area I live in, I believe within the coming years we will actually have a choice between water companies oddly.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had train fare problems because I get free travel anywhere I go in uk XD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.