Edexcel English Language A IGCSE June 2016

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    There's only been FAGOPWAHG which has been repeated so there isn't really a pattern

ReputationRep:
    It was Greenpeace ! How did everyone find it? The section C question was pretty simple... they pretty much gave you the answers in the bullet points! Edexcel ask such leading questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caecilius'Garden)
    It was Greenpeace ! How did everyone find it? The section C question was pretty simple... they pretty much gave you the answers in the bullet points! Edexcel ask such leading questions
    It wasn't too bad. I only wrote 2 points tho as i ran out of time. How many marks do you think I would get?

Also what did you put for the unseen Q's? And the greenpeace?

For the letter I wrote it in a formal way like 'I am writing to explain my views...Was that right?

ReputationRep:
    what a complete and utter cockerel up! our school had taken the liberty to ignore the fact that the anthology was updated in 2014 and greenpeace webpage was included. and then guess what... greenpeace webpage came up. nobody in my school had even seen this before (including me) so we got two unseen passages in one exam! mind you it was fairly easy to analyse and by the end I found the whole affair quite amusing but let me tell, i was not a cool cucumber!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milena1810)
    It wasn't too bad. I only wrote 2 points tho as i ran out of time. How many marks do you think I would get?

Also what did you put for the unseen Q's? And the greenpeace?

For the letter I wrote it in a formal way like 'I am writing to explain my views...Was that right?
    So the Section B first question on the Anthology piece is out of 10 marks (is this the one you mean?), so if you put two good points, you would get four marks... at least in theory. However, if you expanded your points well, you might get a few extra marks, and especially so if you made an extra point in one of your paragraphs. In truth, the mark scheme is rather obscure, it really depends on how good your points are.

In general you have to make half the number of mark's worth of points, so if it's a 12 mark question, make 6 points.

I wrote exactly that!

ReputationRep:
    No, I mean't for the last question. I did that we don't really learn everything about drugs in school nor how to react to very difficult situations we may face in life such as relationships. I know weird points lol Thats the points I made. I wrote 2.5 pages I think. ??

Also for the unseen, how did you describe the mother? And the greenpeace what did you put?

Soz for asking this many Q's lol as I am a private student so I don't know anybody else who took the exam

ReputationRep:
    I was so happy Greenpeace came up!! Didn't like the unseen that much but the rest of it was okay so overall I went quite well!
    So long English Language ....:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryScotchy)
    what a complete and utter cockerel up! our school had taken the liberty to ignore the fact that the anthology was updated in 2014 and greenpeace webpage was included. and then guess what... greenpeace webpage came up. nobody in my school had even seen this before (including me) so we got two unseen passages in one exam! mind you it was fairly easy to analyse and by the end I found the whole affair quite amusing but let me tell, i was not a cool cucumber!
    Yep, us too! Our director of studies has sent out an email to all parents apologising and saying that they will ask for special consideration... *facepalm* Was really angry at that afterwards, but to be fair I didn't even notice in the exam lol You're right, it wasn't hard to analyse, if you're relatively skilled at picking out techniques in a passage.

And you all say Latin isn't helpful for analysing text

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milena1810)
    No, I mean't for the last question. I did that we don't really learn everything about drugs in school nor how to react to very difficult situations we may face in life such as relationships. I know weird points lol Thats the points I made. I wrote 2.5 pages I think. ??

Also for the unseen, how did you describe the mother? And the greenpeace what did you put?

Soz for asking this many Q's lol as I am a private student so I don't know anybody else who took the exam
    'Private student' *takes hat off* .

Just because you only made two points doesn't mean you couldn't get full marks on that question. With the creative writing question, there isn't a set number of points you have to make, so just because you made two doesn't put you at a disadvantage at all. Provided you expanded on them a reasonable amount (which it sounds like you did with 2.5 pages) and concluded, you will be fine. That question is all judged on how you write, so provided you write more than a page or so, it won't be a problem. I wrote 4 pages here, but only 2 and a bit on my mock. Still got 19/20 because it was well written, for example.

Describing the mother was simple - I made 5 points, despite only likely needing four (it was out of four, wasn't it?). You don't need to quote, or expand your point much, really just five (or four) two line paragraphs is fine.

Greenpeace was out of 10, so I made 5 points - just simple things like the use of technical vocabulary, sentences on their own for emphasis, concise article etc.. I think you do have to make a certain number of points for that one, but not sure how many...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=
    And you all say Latin isn't helpful for analysing text [/QUOTE]

The only reason I know anything is down to Latin

ReputationRep:
    Latin buddies

I honestly know Latin grammar better than English grammar... And I can relate to a worrying number of Latin Student Problems posts..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caecilius'Garden)
    'Private student' *takes hat off* .

Just because you only made two points doesn't mean you couldn't get full marks on that question. With the creative writing question, there isn't a set number of points you have to make, so just because you made two doesn't put you at a disadvantage at all. Provided you expanded on them a reasonable amount (which it sounds like you did with 2.5 pages) and concluded, you will be fine. That question is all judged on how you write, so provided you write more than a page or so, it won't be a problem. I wrote 4 pages here, but only 2 and a bit on my mock. Still got 19/20 because it was well written, for example.

Describing the mother was simple - I made 5 points, despite only likely needing four (it was out of four, wasn't it?). You don't need to quote, or expand your point much, really just five (or four) two line paragraphs is fine.

Greenpeace was out of 10, so I made 5 points - just simple things like the use of technical vocabulary, sentences on their own for emphasis, concise article etc.. I think you do have to make a certain number of points for that one, but not sure how many...

Ok, thank you. :-) I did quite a lot for the greenpeace on things such as the structure, the colours, the emotive, use of statistics etc. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good, I'm sure it was fine

ReputationRep:
    what passage was there for the June 2016 paper ?!!

ReputationRep:
    I think it was the environment one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.