Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowland123)
    What DAW were you using? I managed to get it very quiet but I couldn't manage to completely get rid of it. Both levels were the same and I used phase cancelation (using gain plugin logic pro x)
    I used logic too, i just looked at the spl of the vocal track and matched it using the volume faders with the sine wave

ReputationRep:
    What DAW were you using? I managed to get it very quiet but I couldn't manage to completely get rid of it. Both levels were the same and I used phase cancelation (using gain plugin logic pro x)
    I used Cubase but the DAW didn't really matter for that question. Just about fine tuning the volume until it sounded right. I did it by ear because I forgot to look at the levels but it worked anyway.

ReputationRep:
    the bass question was 8 marks however 4 of these were fro simple things like :
    use a square wave
    match the octave
    etc

then 4 marks was on matching the filter effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomgotbored)
    I answered the question about the guitar pedals - I don't even know what mastering is! or at least certainly not enough to write 16 marks about it... what did you guys put for that one?
    Yeah bass recreation was 4 marks, i got pretty much everything it asked for apart from that weird attack it had certainly couldnt do it in the software instrument i was using.

I wrote how mastering was done on analogue reel to reels, with external analogue outboards such as compressors in the 1970s and 80s

Then i wrote why tracks are mastered (to compete with other professional releases on formats like radio and albums) and then how you master ie compressing, limiting, noise reduction, etc

Then i went on to talk about the modern day advantages: software plugins; easy access and comes with the daw, able to view waveform and compare, able to assess stereo field and phasing using goinometer

****ing long winded, i know haha

ReputationRep:
    Everyone on twitters tweeting about how **** they did, hopefully they lower the grade boundaries!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomgotbored)
    I answered the question about the guitar pedals - I don't even know what mastering is! or at least certainly not enough to write 16 marks about it... what did you guys put for that one?
    I did that one too, I literally wrote everything i knew about everything i could see in the picture, such as unbalanced inputs, outputs, direct out, echo out ect,,,

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have issues with invert option being greyed out in Logic Pro? Under functions in sample editor?

ReputationRep:
    for the phase question i used EQ to remove 99% of the sound and it was barley audible, i reckon ill get marks for this as this effect can also happen with inverting phases and the examiner cannot tell if you have done this as they only have your bounced tracks

ReputationRep:
    For the bass recreation I set es2 in logic to modulate the filter cutoff of the square wave via the attack? but spent so much time trying to do the phase question I ran out of time for the mix and had to bounce the entire thing unmixed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cameronbehenna)
    For the bass recreation I set es2 in logic to modulate the filter cutoff of the square wave via the attack? but spent so much time trying to do the phase question I ran out of time for the mix and had to bounce the entire thing unmixed
    that's the main thing i feared with the bass recreation, i knew i could do it but i knew it would take me a good chunk of the exam to do. So just sacrificed 2 marks on that question, so I could do the rest of the paper lol; opportunity cost, for those that did business haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captivewillie)
    The phase question......God...
    i literally nearly cried in that question

ReputationRep:
    We hadn't learnt much about phasing, so I ended up EQing the wav.wav file to remove the frequency and then copying that EQ to the vocal file. Obviously not the correct thing to do but it worked somewhat....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellen9804)
    i literally nearly cried in that question
    Same, aha. was speaking to rest of my class about it and everyone said once they saw it they started shaking and sweating profoundly ahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joncully)
    Anyone have issues with invert option being greyed out in Logic Pro? Under functions in sample editor?
    YES! it wouldn't let me do it at all!! Had to just EQ it

ReputationRep:
    Okay, i wanna know, who here actually completed all the questions and bounces without any cockups?
    I could barely get rid of the sine, and rushed the final mix, but managed to bounce everything just in time and answered every question, but one guy in my class didn't have enough time to do the 16 marker, another just skipped the bass, and another didn't bounce the final mix- and to put this into perspective, my class is of 10 people, and for both AS and our mocks the average grade was an A...

ReputationRep:
    We have 6 of us in my class and we struggle with the subject a lot but felt prepared for the exam having learnt pretty much everything. I managed to finish everything, although I struggled and spent a lot of time on the bass question and the phasing question. It was a big rush and one person in my class didn't do any of second section because they found it so hard to complete the first section. My teacher has read through the paper and thinks that it has some very hard and unreasonable questions and apparently a lot of other schools, teachers and pupils are kicking off about it. The majority of us just finished the mix in time but I wouldn't be able to say if we bounced them all correctly as we were so rushed for time. Hopefully the grade boundaries will go down and we will all be ok if everyone found it hard.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.