Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

dont want to go a levels but parents are forcing me Watch

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Does this mean that coursework will account for a higher percentage than exams since it is BTEC ?
    They use the word "mainly". They are called Pearson BTEC, so you will need to check the new specification to know how each course is affected precisely. I'd think it will be well over 50% and more like 60%-70%.
    Check with your tutor or Pearson.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation rn, I want to do an apprenticeship but my parents thinks a-levels better for me ;/// I'm an average student, i just cant imagine my self doing a levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    AS of September 2016, all colleges or schools teaching HSC level 3, will have to by law follow the new procedure aka the new specification.

I think the reason for changing BTEC level 3 is because they are not rigorous and challenging enough for university study as most BTEC students have apparently dropped out/are more likely to drop out of university than their A-level counterparts.

Edit: if you get used to coursework a lot, you will forget how to do well in exams/ time management.
    See my school haven't mentioned that at all. But more and more universities are requiring people to study an A-level alongside their BTEC so they are prepared. I don't know the specifics, but my BTEC reflects the university course and has similar assessments like dissertation style assignments.

But I think we are all getting distracted and not actually helping the person that started this thread.

(Original post by Ellie419)
    See my school haven't mentioned that at all. But more and more universities are requiring people to study an A-level alongside their BTEC so they are prepared. I don't know the specifics, but my BTEC reflects the university course and has similar assessments like dissertation style assignments.

But I think we are all getting distracted and not actually helping the person that started this thread.
    The problem with BTEC is plagiarism however, there are plagiarism softwares like Turnitin available.

Also, i do find that BTEC does not test your full understanding.

BTEC is mostly research and knowing how to reference rather than actually understanding the content. I was hardly taught anything apart from anatomy and physiology

I know people who got a merit grade in their anatomy and physiology but if you were to ask them now, "what are the functions of each cell and how does Mitochondria form energy in the body" they won't be able to answer it fully with all the details needed.

With cases like that, then no wonder BTEC is changing, although, i am a bit sad cuz if i fail this year(hopefully not) i don't want to redo the course with exams

I do agree that we are getting distracted and off topic.

I hope the thread maker got his/her answer(s) to his/her question(s)

(Original post by King_ajk)
    so i dont want to do alevels, cant handle exams and the stress, i want to do something practical because thats the sort of person i am but my parents are forcing me to do it. how can i persuade them ?
    If you are 100% sure with this decision(i know it a tough one) then go for it.

Don't let people's opinions get in the way.

Sometimes, people think they are trying to help but they are actually toxic people.

you just have to think about this deeply as it a huge decision to make which t will impact your future.

Also, you know yourself better than anyone else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.