Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    i didnt think they were that rare in uk...are we living in the same uk? it might me because you live somewhere in a quieter part of britain. i duno, i didnt think they were common, just rare. oh well...thats our up market hi-powered technology for you!
    I live in South Manchester, possibly one of the most densly populated parts of the country apart from the inner cities.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Greater London, effectively the suburbs... We're always getting cuts here. I get the most compared to other people I know round here.

Though it doesn't explain all the cuts my friends get, they are doing a lot of building work and regeneration here, so there is more scope for accidentaly cutting off half the estate's power with a misplaced dig. And I don't think the wiring is hugely dodgy, but the council's given up hope on this estate so never bother with minor repairs.

Then there was the big London one last year... My friend was stuck on a train, the poor thing.

I'm suprised you don't get power cuts, but trust me, they're not rare. It's mostly human error in urban areas, I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I live in South Manchester, possibly one of the most densly populated parts of the country apart from the inner cities.

oh...ok, then my theory doesnt make sense. do you rekon iv got in wrong and it's the urban areas that are most affected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    I live in Greater London, effectively the suburbs... We're always getting cuts here. I get the most compared to other people I know round here.

Though it doesn't explain all the cuts my friends get, they are doing a lot of building work and regeneration here, so there is more scope for accidentaly cutting off half the estate's power with a misplaced dig. And I don't think the wiring is hugely dodgy, but the council's given up hope on this estate so never bother with minor repairs.

Then there was the big London one last year... My friend was stuck on a train, the poor thing.

I'm suprised you don't get power cuts, but trust me, they're not rare. It's mostly human error in urban areas, I'd say.
    Maybe I am just lucky then, although my area is very old, it had electricity since the houses were built in 1906 so maybe there is a link. I know about the power cut last year in London, I think that was just a one off though but they may start to increase over the decades due to energy supply problems (i.e fuel).

ReputationRep:
    oh...ok, then my theory doesnt make sense. do you rekon iv got in wrong and it's the urban areas that are most affected?
    I am going out now so this will be quick and full of spelling error but in towns you probably have much better grid of alternative power supplies should one route (i.e cable) fail. Also cables tend to be burried underground.

In the countryside villages often get their power supply by over head cables (pylons) and in bad weather they can some times fall down. If a village only has one power supply and the cable breaks you have a power cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I am going out now so this will be quick and full of spelling error but in towns you probably have much better grid of alternative power supplies should one route (i.e cable) fail. Also cables tend to be burried underground.

In the countryside villages often get their power supply by over head cables (pylons) and in bad weather they can some times fall down. If a village only has one power supply and the cable breaks you have a power cut.
    perfect spelling...and i put my glasses on!

ReputationRep:
    perfect spelling...and i put my glasses on!
    hehe thanks, I guess I must be quite awake. It tends be later on at night when I am tired I make lots of very silly typo's.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.