Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    1) yes our population growth is currently under the regular replenishment fertility rate, but thats a lot to do with our ageing population, and population cycling means this is likely to change eventually.
    The old person bubble is only just starting to hit. Its all those born '45-50, so we're talking a good 15-20 years before they die off. Until then, we will need more young people working hard to support our economy. And 20 years is a long time.

We could easily survive without migrants,
    As in, literally 0 migrants?

The NHS would collapse in weeks.

The one thing i disagree with here is trade and isolation. Non EU countries such as Norway have great trade deals and are still united in the fight against terror with Europe...
    Of course we would still be able to trade, travel and cooperate with our neighbours. But all 3 will undeniably be harder. After lengthy and expensive negotiations and a whole bunch of new bureaucracy there will be a tax on EU trade, there will be some kind of electronic visa costing money, and the police will probably be inundated with yet more red tape. We will be severely hurting our attractiveness for financial businesses. The uncertainty surrounding this alone will hurt the stocks pretty severely.

Can't see the NHS benefiting. An unstable economy could potentially really hurt it, but even if that doesn't come to fruition (it will), what will happen to all the nursing and other posts currently filled by EU staff? This is a very mobile group so without the freedoms of the EU many will no doubt leave and they won't be replaced (some of my colleagues are already making plans - pretty stressful time for them!). Will we have to go on recruitment drives to India and the Philippines yet again? Or have some bureaucratic process of getting EU nurses + other staff to have permission to work here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    I received a leaflet today trying to convince me to use my vote to stay within the EU. Guess who was backing it? Mark Carney Bank of England Chairman. A Keynesian useful idiot.

No one on TSR apart from me has mentioned that the EU is doing the same amount of money printing as Japan and the USA. This is an attempt to prop up the global economy before a huge crash.

I warned people that the central banks are up to no good and yet no one is talking about the fact that Gold & Silver has risen while all stocks across the board have been declining.

If you vote remain in the EU your be united in poverty with the rest of Europe.
    yep i deal in gold and i love it i'm making more money than i have ever made
    i'm scrapping retial stuff i bought 6 moths ago it that profitable

ReputationRep:
    I received a VoteLeave leaflet recently and one of the points mentioned on it was that it would be easier to get rid of the ECHR if Leave wins??? I was going to vote leave, but really after reading that leaflet, I've changed my mind. I really don't trust a future Tory government and I just can't imagine how worse of the country would be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    I received a VoteLeave leaflet recently and one of the points mentioned on it was that it would be easier to get rid of the ECHR if Leave wins??? I was going to vote leave, but really after reading that leaflet, I've changed my mind. I really don't trust a future Tory government and I just can't imagine how worse of the country would be
    Your right in your thinking. The Tories will turn Britain into a eugenics playground. But ....... We can kick the Tories out if the people find the will to do so.

In the EU you can't do that. All policies are decided by the EU commission and there isn't a dam thing the working class person can do about it.

Your MEP is as much use as a North Korean supermarket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richard10012)
    [/font]

UK trade with the EU is circa £144 billion exported and £240 billion imported giving a UK deficit of £96 billion. Not only is this trade in favour of the EU countries but they also benefit from up to 50% greater profits selling into the UK market, than in their own markets. From the factual trade figures it can be concluded that the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has released a bulletin on UK-EU trade, in the same month as trade figures show that British reliance on trade with the EU has fallen to an all-time low.

We should therefore make trade deals with other nations which we can't do when we are still in the EU
    Agreed. My reasons for voting to Leave are mainly economic. If we deregulate and keep our corporate tax one of the lowest in the developed world, we will see an INCREASE in business investment and an INCREASE in jobs for our citizens, with fewer dependents and lower welfare spending.

Not to mention we won't have to add the £512 billion we've given to the Commission, which, instead of being used to pay for Polish farms via CAP, could be used to cut our £1.6 trillion national debt or reinvested into infrastructure and the NHS.

I have not felt so strongly about an issue in my lifetime, and will be knocking on as many doors as possible to try to persuade people to Leave between now and the 23rd. The latest polls put us 4 and 5 points ahead; let's maintain that lead on Independence Day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    It'll only be four 4 years, plus we can bend the will of them and stop them from passing it. Remember that the Commons are accountable to you and they're politically bound to do what you want them to.

ReputationRep:
    How can anyone vote for something when the LEAVE campaign cant even share with us what leaving would look like? I mean, im all against unlimited immigration etc but tbh the economy is a far bigger issue. Will we stay in the EU trade bloc? Because we'll still be taking in immigrants if we stay. If we leave that then you dont need to be an idiot to know that the effects of cutting of 44% of our export market, loss of jobs and offshoring of companies could be cataclysmic.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question for the Reomanians if being in the EU is so good why are so many countries not in it and how come we did pretty well before we were in it and how are we gonna control immigration of we remain in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    We have a record homelessness and food banks because our government is cutting welfare and public services, simple as that. All these people thinking we're going to leave the EU and suddenly the government will stop making spending cuts are going to be very disappointed.

So? All this means is that we're hurting the EU as well as ourselves by leaving. Hardly a compelling argument, unless you just want to leave to spite the EU and don't mind ****ing your own country over in the process.
    It's funny how few people have up-voted you.

(Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    Lol the UK leaving the EU is not going to provide you with the money to buy a house or drastically lower the prices in the housing market. Sorry.

It's funny how in almost every other situation, the public are at the very least skeptical about our politicians and at the very worst condemn them at every opportunity. They are absolutely hated everywhere they turn. Yet when it comes to the EU there's this newfound love that has developed for our government (that never existed before) and it's almost like we think that us being independent from the EU will make our government make better decisions.

NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

I don't trust the British government frankly. The idea of giving them sovereign authority over our affairs scares me a little.
    You criticise this new love people have for the EU, yet you suddenly flip to the other side? Weird post mate.

And what happened to that old adage, "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer"?

Why do you trust our government less than the EU?

(oh, and btw, by saying "sovereign authority" you say you trust the EU more than the British people, as we are a lot more democratic.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    It's funny how few people have up-voted you.
    Not really. Facts aren't democratic. What I said is true, regardless of how many people are going to pretend otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Your right in your thinking. The Tories will turn Britain into a eugenics playground. But ....... We can kick the Tories out if the people find the will to do so.

In the EU you can't do that. All policies are decided by the EU commission and there isn't a dam thing the working class person can do about it.

Your MEP is as much use as a North Korean supermarket.
    Just not true. We can leave the EU AT ANY TIME, unlike our government where we need to wait 5 years for an election to kick them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richard10012)
    [/font]

UK trade with the EU is circa £144 billion exported and £240 billion imported giving a UK deficit of £96 billion. Not only is this trade in favour of the EU countries but they also benefit from up to 50% greater profits selling into the UK market, than in their own markets. From the factual trade figures it can be concluded that the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has released a bulletin on UK-EU trade, in the same month as trade figures show that British reliance on trade with the EU has fallen to an all-time low.

We should therefore make trade deals with other nations which we can't do when we are still in the EU
    There's also the fact that 45% of our exports go the EU whereas only 7% of the EU's come to the UK. I'm not implying trade will cease if we leave(inb4 "project fear"), but the point is they'd miss that 7% a lot less than we'd miss that 45% and it's in nobody's interest to disrupt it.

The idea that we don't benefit from EU trade deals is absurd to say the least.

http://news.cbi.org.uk/business-issu...ade-deals-pdf/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    yep i deal in gold and i love it i'm making more money than i have ever made
    i'm scrapping retial stuff i bought 6 moths ago it that profitable
    Like my avatar ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadherin)
    Not to mention we won't have to add the £512 billion we've given to the Commission, which, instead of being used to pay for Polish farms via CAP, could be used to cut our £1.6 trillion national debt or reinvested into infrastructure and the NHS.
    So the Tories who are ideologically opposed to public services will increase public spending instead of cutting further? This point is even more relevant in the event of a Brexit, as Cameron(who is a moderate Tory) will likely resign and we get Boris who's firmly on the Tory right.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Facts aren't democratic. What I said is true, regardless of how many people are going to pretend otherwise.
    How old are you?

ReputationRep:
    How old are you?
    19. You keep asking this, why is it relevant?

ReputationRep:
    19. You keep asking this, why is it relevant?
    I wanted to see how accurate my estimation was.

If you had confirmed my bias I would have been happy.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to see how accurate my estimation was.

If you had confirmed my bias I would have been happy.
    What were you estimating?

ReputationRep:
    What were you estimating?

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.