The Student Room Group

Voter Registration crashed! Did you try to register at the last minute?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by newpersonage
Sovereignty means being in a different political stream from the EU, secure in the calmness of our culture.

Northern Ireland
Original post by Dez
Who are the dolts though, we must ask? The Public.

Done.

This date has been talked about for months. If you're only signing up with less than an hour to go it's your fault for being bonecrushingly moronic - especially when the overwhelming majority of these people are aged 25-34, this lot should know better. Zero sympathy.
Original post by jneill
Northern Ireland

Good point. I remember my father saying that an IRA bomb at London Bridge had just missed him and laughing about it. The UK, when left to its own devices, had no "Prevent" strategy, draconian laws for people in England who supported the IRA (like Ken Livingstone). You want oppression, vote Remain.
Reply 23
Original post by newpersonage
You want oppression, vote Remain.

How do you get to that?
Original post by BWV1007
I've registered. I swear there's no point to the referendum because it's pretty obvious the majority's going to vote to stay.

Yes, in all my debating on the referendum it is clear to me that Remain voters are a few internationalist fanatics and a vast bulk of people who want to be "in the gang". Leave supporters have a variety of backgrounds and ideas but all share the desire to keep the UK as a self governing country for future generations.
Original post by Drewski
No sympathy for the dolts. This date has been banged on about for weeks, if you're too thick to get your finger out then it's your problem, not the government's.

The other point is why weren't you already registered? I didn't register to vote in the EU referendum because I'm already on the electoral roll.

They registered before the deadline as they were fully entitled to do.
Original post by Drewski
How do they know where you are? How do they know which constituency you live in? How do they know you're still at the same address?

Don't expect everything to be spoon-fed to you, get off your arse and take responsibility for yourself.

You do know you don't need to know which way you're voting to be registered?

I do agree with the get off your arse and take responsibility but its not that difficult to have an automated system, plenty of democracies don't require registration its automatic. Why add more steps? typical bureaucratic thinking.
I registered to vote last general election because I turned 18. Does this mean I don't have to register to vote for the referendum?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grassntai
I registered to vote last general election because I turned 18. Does this mean I don't have to register to vote for the referendum?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to register again but will need to inform of any address changes (if any)
People can still register to vote today.
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

The government announced this after the registration site crashed yesterday.
Original post by sebby491
I do agree with the get off your arse and take responsibility but its not that difficult to have an automated system, plenty of democracies don't require registration its automatic. Why add more steps? typical bureaucratic thinking.

Fine, but that means accepting a far greater degree of government checking up on you, knowing where you are, making assumptions about you...

Let's say you're a student at university. Where should you be registered then? Do you want the government deciding that for you, or would you rather have a say?

It's not adding more steps. It's one step: register.

Is that really so hard?
Original post by Bornblue
They registered before the deadline as they were fully entitled to do.

20,000+ people accessed the site at 00.01 last night. Why? Because they're stupid.
I was not required to register as I am already on the electoral roll. Have received a polling card at both my uni and hometown addresses. Which one I vote at depends on which city I'll be in on the 23rd
Original post by super_kawaii
I was not required to register as I am already on the electoral roll. Have received a polling card at both my uni and hometown addresses. Which one I vote at depends on which city I'll be in on the 23rd

You're on the roll twice?
That's not a good thing...
Original post by Drewski
Fine, but that means accepting a far greater degree of government checking up on you, knowing where you are, making assumptions about you...

Let's say you're a student at university. Where should you be registered then? Do you want the government deciding that for you, or would you rather have a say?

It's not adding more steps. It's one step: register.

Is that really so hard?

Well clearly it is that hard as almost a fifth of the electorate fail to register. Also its your home address that is picked, you are making an issue out of nothing, as said plenty of countries have no issues.
Original post by Drewski

Well, you know what they say - "vote early and vote often".
Original post by Drewski

It is legal for someone to be on the electoral register for two places-the vast majority of British students are. It's voting in both locations that is rightfully illegal :smile:
Original post by sebby491
Well clearly it is that hard as almost a fifth of the electorate fail to register. Also its your home address that is picked, you are making an issue out of nothing, as said plenty of countries have no issues.

It's apathy that does that, not a complicated system. It takes barely 5 minutes to put yourself in the register, it's not onerous, it's not complicated. If you know your name and your address you can do it in less time than it'll take to read this post.

If you can't be arsed, that's different and again, it's your own fault.

And is it? Look a few posts up, clearly someone has been able to register at both...

I'm making an issue out of nothing? It's you who's trying to change the system for zero tangible benefit.
Original post by super_kawaii
It is legal for someone to be on the electoral register for two places-the vast majority of British students are. It's voting in both locations that is rightfully illegal :smile:

I certainly wasn't.

And how is that checked?
Reply 39
Original post by BWV1007
I've registered. I swear there's no point to the referendum because it's pretty obvious the majority's going to vote to stay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

With the greatest respect, people need to get off their backsides and actually vote. Where would we be if everybody just assumed that the result would be a foregone conclusion?

And to those who haven't yet succeeded in registering, registration has been reopened because of yesterday's problems. But do it now, because it isn't clear how long it is extended for, and may not be very long.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending