Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most poshest nicest parts of the U.K. To live list watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically it goes like this south-east England eastern England south Western England central England Wales northern England and finally Scotland

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell is Preston on the list??!!!!! Most of it is a dump (trust me, I live there) and I cannot wait to go elsewhere!!

ReputationRep:
    St. Albans not on the list but Milton Keynes? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    Basically it goes like this south-east England eastern England south Western England central England Wales northern England and finally Scotland
    So Northern Ireland no longer exists and Scotland is one area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfcFob)
    Why the hell is Preston on the list??!!!!! Most of it is a dump (trust me, I live there) and I cannot wait to go elsewhere!!
    Yeah the thread title is wrong basically The list is just generalising the whole of the UK it doesn't just include all nice places it includes a mixture of different places It just has the nicest places at the top of the list and the worst places at the bottom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    So Northern Ireland no longer exists and Scotland is one area?
    I haven't been to Northern Ireland but yeah it would be right at the bottom of the list due to the IRA and terrorists attacks and the fact that southern Irish people hate Northern Ireland people so it doesn't really seem like a nice place to live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    Yeah the thread title is wrong basically The list is just generalising the whole of the UK it doesn't just include all nice places it includes a mixture of different places It just has the nicest places at the top of the list and the worst places at the bottom
    Ah, makes sense now... I was so confused why this God awful city had made that list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    I haven't been to Northern Ireland but yeah it would be right at the bottom of the list due to the IRA and terrorists attacks and the fact that southern Irish people hate Northern Ireland people so it doesn't really seem like a nice place to live
    Neither are a hell of a lot of other places on your list, yet you're calling them posh.

Do you know what posh means?

ReputationRep:
    Neither are a hell of a lot of other places on your list, yet you're calling them posh.

Do you know what posh means?
    LOL I'm not calling all the places on the list posh the list has all the nicest places at the top and the worst places imaginable at the bottom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    Seconds thoughts I would put Shrewsbury a bit higher up the list maybe in front of the East Midlands and Devon and Cornwall behind the Cotswolds?
    Cornwall?! Have you ever been to cornwall?! My mum and her family are from Cornwall, my dad lived there from the age of 7.

It's an absolute shitehole - there are barely any jobs (and certainly not in any professional sectors), the towns are, for the most part, completely run down and the ones that aren't are few and very far between. It's nice for a holiday, but on the list of the 'poshest' and 'nicest' parts of the UK? Absolutely not.

ReputationRep:
    I tried reading that aloud and nearly passed out from not breathing. Thanks OP.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that the tranquil market town of Croydon and the neighbouring village of Thornton Heath are remarkably picturesque and safe places to reside in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    LOL I'm not calling all the places on the list posh the list has all the nicest places at the top and the worst places imaginable at the bottom
    (Original post by Voi)
    now moving right up north into Scotland and Lothian Edinburgh and finally moving south into northern England for example Newcastle Lancashire Preston and Lancaster then Leeds Sheffield Manchester North and South Yorkshire then east towards Hull and Grimsby and then back right up north into general Scotland and finally leaving England Scotland and Wales behind to go to Northern Ireland.
    So why list Scotland twice?

And you've listed every place that's within the M25 as more posh than places like the Cotswolds... You might want to rethink, well, everything.

And you know you can rename the thread so you can explain yourself better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    Cornwall?! Have you ever been to cornwall?! My mum and her family are from Cornwall, my dad lived there from the age of 7.

It's an absolute shitehole - there are barely any jobs (and certainly not in any professional sectors), the towns are, for the most part, completely run down and the ones that aren't are few and very far between. It's nice for a holiday, but on the list of the 'poshest' and 'nicest' parts of the UK? Absolutely not.
    I haven't been to Cornwall myself no the furthest west ive been is to Somerset which then is by the sounds of it the nicest The most western counties before everything goes to hell I just thought Devon and Cornwall would have lots of posh old people sipping tea in tearooms eating clotted cream pastries

ReputationRep:
    So why list Scotland twice?

And you've listed every place that's within the M25 as more posh than places like the Cotswolds... You might want to rethink, well, everything.

And you know you can rename the thread so you can explain yourself better?
    Most places within the M25 are more expensive than the Cotswolds well that is if you want to purchase the house if you're talking about landscape quality then obviously the Cotswolds is so much nicer I've listed Scotland twice because Edinburgh is nicer than the rest of Scotland and it is therefore placed further up the list than the rest of Scotland just like York is an exception to northern England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    Most places within the M25 are more expensive than the Cotswolds well that is if you want to purchase the house if you're talking about landscape quality then obviously the Cotswolds is so much nicer I've listed Scotland twice because Edinburgh is nicer than the rest of Scotland and it is therefore placed further up the list than the rest of Scotland just like York is an exception to northern England
    So you're basing this solely on price? You are aware that that means nothing about whether somewhere is nice or posh?

This list could better be described as "my entirely subjective and in no way accurate list of places close to London, because that's obviously the centre of the universe".

ReputationRep:
    So you're basing this solely on price? You are aware that that means nothing about whether somewhere is nice or posh?

This list could better be described as "my entirely subjective and in no way accurate list of places close to London, because that's obviously the centre of the universe".
    House prices do influence part of my overall decision of where place should be on my list and yeah this list is subjective I thought I Kinder made that clear in the original post when I said this is by no means accurate or comprehensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    House prices do influence part of my overall decision of where place should be on my list and yeah this list is subjective I thought I Kinder made that clear in the original post when I said this is by no means accurate or comprehensive
    That was not clear before you edited it. It is not clear after you edited it. It just sounds like you don't have a clue.

And it still reads (though I use that word loosely) as though you simply believe London is the centre of the universe and nowhere else matters.

You are perfectly correct when you say it's not accurate, however.

ReputationRep:
    Bedfordshire near the top... I lolled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    London Central is a **** hole, i guess once you grow up there, it loses its sparks. There council estates, conor shops, and it just isnt anything great to look at. The nice ares to live in, sometimes you can walk past the areas and there literally **** on the floor, I guess the bin men dont come there often since there always overfilled bags and bins tipped over somehow, the shops are closed down, since no one is buying from them and less people live in roher/nicer areas of london. Honestly london isnt that beautiful, great place to live but not beautiful if you've lived there your whole life. There are a few places that offset it/ go against the trend but overall its pretty ugly, i really dont understand why tourist go into central london, when it aint much too look at ( apart from the sights ofc )
    You must be from Croydon.

I assure you, most of Central London is quite amazing. I live there, go to school there and spend my leisure time there -- have so in my entire 18 years of existence. Every city will have its own little pit of depression and poverty, but even then you'll find pockets of culture and happiness.

The only thing I don't like about London, especially central, is the house pricing. Going towards Fulham, Chelsea and Westminster you won't have a chance to afford the housing unless you've built wealth across a large span of years. But damn, if you do, it feels as if an entire world's worth of enjoyment and variety awaits you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.