Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Why dementia?
    I wouldn't stand in the way of this but why this disease specifically?
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Yeah, I'm going to echo joecphillips's remarks on why specifically dementia? You can quote the figures about in the motion and say that's why, but really...why?
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Questions as above... Why just dementia?
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Aye of course, but I think this provision needs to be stretched much further than just dementia
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Why one diseases / conditions in particular? Why not a motion to raise awareness of Breast cancer in Women or Prostate cancer in Men and how to spot the signs. ? Based on this .... Nay
    The reason why just dementia is that this is a motion on this specific issue, if you feel more should be done at least two of you are in Government, and unless anything has changed one of you is the SoS for Health. This is a starting point, something which within the next ten years will affect a million people, dementia is an issue close to some of those in the opposition, and a good a starting point as any going forward to help battle stigmas around these kind of illnesses, raise the profile of these conditions and teach people, like we do with strokes, what the signs are, how to recognise those signs, and what to do if they are worried a loved one or friend has dementia.

Of course it's not good enough to stop at dementia, but it's somewhere to start, on the road to helping both those with dementia, those who will have dementia, and then moving on to those with other conditions. For example Hazzer write a UKIP motion on breast and/or prostate cancer, I am sure it would be something most in the house could support. To discuss one thing is not to ignore others.

Finally to quote the DPM "but I think this provision needs to be stretched much further than just dementia". I wholeheartedly agree, but this is but a humble motion and you have power, so take up this motion once it passes and do something about both dementia and other conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    The reason why just dementia is that this is a motion on this specific issue, if you feel more should be done at least two of you are in Government, and unless anything has changed one of you is the SoS for Health. This is a starting point, something which within the next ten years will affect a million people, dementia is an issue close to some of those in the opposition, and a good a starting point as any going forward to help battle stigmas around these kind of illnesses, raise the profile of these conditions and teach people, like we do with strokes, what the signs are, how to recognise those signs, and what to do if they are worried a loved one or friend has dementia.

Of course it's not good enough to stop at dementia, but it's somewhere to start, on the road to helping both those with dementia, those who will have dementia, and then moving on to those with other conditions. For example Hazzer write a UKIP motion on breast and/or prostate cancer, I am sure it would be something most in the house could support. To discuss one thing is not to ignore others.

Finally to quote the DPM "but I think this provision needs to be stretched much further than just dementia". I wholeheartedly agree, but this is but a humble motion and you have power, so take up this motion once it passes and do something about both dementia and other conditions.
    Like I said I am not going to stop this I am in favour of it I was just curious about the reasoning of why dementia as I hadn't heard of any new data on it recently, it was more of me being curious about potentially missing something than trying to stop this from passing.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. I agree that this needs to be extended to other conditions, but we have to start somewhere.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Division! Clear the Lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.