Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis Calvert)
    The fact you have different tools for revising is a bit weird. Except for Maths obviously. I studied Biology, Health and Social Care, ICT and Business. I took down definitions and concepts with billboards and sticky notes. I used my tape recorder and past papers to revise analysis, case study and evaluation content. Consistency is key.

Have you created a detailed plan for revision. If not I recommend you do that for all your subjects and stick to it religiously. Don't say you don't have sufficient time, a plan takes five minutes to complete.

Best Wishes

Lewis xxx
    Well i mean tbh you'd revise differently for any subject i believe but certainly i think that past papers are definitely a backbone to revision and are most certainly a good way to revise.

No because i believe it wastes time, i might make like a small list to see what i've learnt and what i haven't gone over just yet btu apart from that i feel as if i can waste wayyyy too much time doing stuff like that.
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    Your alright mate, I just got a 2:2 in Uni so we can be failures together
    Not sure i understand the uni grading system....

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you deserved to get a D.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Big white)
    1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd (all with hons, honours) and then there's a pass.

So if a 1st is like an A (ignoring A*), a 2:2 is a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd (all with hons, honours) and then there's a pass.

So if a 1st is like an A (ignoring A*), a 2:2 is a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see, so i guess a C isn't good....

ReputationRep:
    You'd still be a graduate, and that is generally better for your career prospects than not being a graduate.

It'd be hard to improve upon PQ's advice to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    You'd still be a graduate, and that is generally better for your career prospects than not being a graduate.

It'd be hard to improve upon PQ's advice to you.
    I guess... *sigh

Yea that's right i agree with you, i guess that's the best i can do. So far i've asked one teacher and they said "don't even start me on C3+4 they're outrageously difficult" not sure whether that's true or not, then again maths is really relative to the person.

ReputationRep:
    I guess... *sigh

Yea that's right i agree with you, i guess that's the best i can do. So far i've asked one teacher and they said "don't even start me on C3+4 they're outrageously difficult" not sure whether that's true or not, then again maths is really relative to the person.
    Well, up to a point, but from the little I know about the maths syllabus, some of the modules are evil. You mentioned earlier (at least, I think it was you!) that you were thinking of doing some self-teaching - a little is fine; a lot is a big ask and high risk (you need feedback to make sure you are on the right track). Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    Well, up to a point, but from the little I know about the maths syllabus, some of the modules are evil. You mentioned earlier (at least, I think it was you!) that you were thinking of doing some self-teaching - a little is fine; a lot is a big ask and high risk (you need feedback to make sure you are on the right track). Just saying.
    I reckon some of the topics are pure evil but so far the start is ok and seems very easy.... but then again that's usually the case xD

Hmmm but i have to take this risk because i want to do maths and when they ask me why i didn't take further maths, the only answers are, my school doesn't offer it or i didn't take it. Obviously i could take just a measly 3 more modules but that's not really going to make much of a difference.

It's all a bet really and it's one i'm willing to take to get a decent maths degree.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Worked out fine for JK Rowling.
    And many others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Worked out fine for JK Rowling.
    And many others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But i guess they knew what they wanted to do right?
    On the flipside however, i don't

ReputationRep:
    I reckon some of the topics are pure evil but so far the start is ok and seems very easy.... but then again that's usually the case xD

Hmmm but i have to take this risk because i want to do maths and when they ask me why i didn't take further maths, the only answers are, my school doesn't offer it or i didn't take it. Obviously i could take just a measly 3 more modules but that's not really going to make much of a difference.

It's all a bet really and it's one i'm willing to take to get a decent maths degree.
    If your schooll doesn't offer Further Maths, you will not be penalised for not taking it. Clearly if the school does offer it, and you don't take it, it will raise questions. However, your overall grade profile is important too, and spending a lot of time self-teaching could bring those grades down.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not good at Chemistry too but I got from a E to a B by practising loads of past papers? Like I'm not doing good as well but I think a lot of people get super low predicted grades so I dunno...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    But i guess they knew what they wanted to do right?
    On the flipside however, i don't
    You can also get a First and not know what you want to do next. Many people don't. And many (most?) people change career paths during their lifetime anyway...

ReputationRep:
    If your schooll doesn't offer Further Maths, you will not be penalised for not taking it. Clearly if the school does offer it, and you don't take it, it will raise questions. However, your overall grade profile is important too, and spending a lot of time self-teaching could bring those grades down.
    Of coruse however i chose to take physics instead and i think i said above in another post? but my physics really did kill me, i tried and spend a year of effort on it and didn't get anywhere.

What's grade profile? (sorry i don't know what these terms mean :/)

(Original post by Mnatalie99)
    I'm not good at Chemistry too but I got from a E to a B by practising loads of past papers? Like I'm not doing good as well but I think a lot of people get super low predicted grades so I dunno...
    Ah Chem is a special case where you can be correct but if you don't give the answer they want then you can still get the question wrong. Past papers are crucial and essential to Chem i think personally.

ReputationRep:
    You can also get a First and not know what you want to do next. Many people don't. And many (most?) people change career paths during their lifetime anyway...
    Yea... i'm not really sure what jobs i can do with a maths degree, stats and finance and business related courses are a no no for me.

ReputationRep:
    Well i mean tbh you'd revise differently for any subject i believe but certainly i think that past papers are definitely a backbone to revision and are most certainly a good way to revise.

No because i believe it wastes time, i might make like a small list to see what i've learnt and what i haven't gone over just yet btu apart from that i feel as if i can waste wayyyy too much time doing stuff like that.

70% or more = 1st class
    60% or more = upper 2nd class (2:1)
    50% or more = lower 2nd class(2:2)
    40% or more = 3rd class
    less than 40% = fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    70% or more = 1st class
    60% or more = upper 2nd class (2:1)
    50% or more = lower 2nd class(2:2)
    40% or more = 3rd class
    less than 40% = fail
    I see thanks for the info

ReputationRep:
    Of coruse however i chose to take physics instead and i think i said above in another post? but my physics really did kill me, i tried and spend a year of effort on it and didn't get anywhere.

What's grade profile? (sorry i don't know what these terms mean :/)
    As in, the grades you have and what subjects they're in

ReputationRep:
    As in, the grades you have and what subjects they're in
    Right so when i have to "declare all my stuff" do i need to put my AS mock grade for physics? or can i just leave that out?(it's not good )

ReputationRep:
    Right so when i have to "declare all my stuff" do i need to put my AS mock grade for physics? or can i just leave that out?(it's not good )
    You don't put mock grades down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.