The Student Room Group

I plan on doing a all nighter for Maths

Scroll to see replies

I don't really like to say this but if you haven't learnt the majority of what you need to, then you probably can't overnight: you're too tired to take in, understand and remember what you're learning and secondly when you're tired. You're much more prone to making stupid mistakes and not recognising that you need to use sine rule (for example). Do some revision now on important topics, get a good nights sleep and do some more revision in the morning, maybe going to bed early, getting up early and spending about an hour revising maybe? Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
NO NO NO NO NO! Don't do it!
why:
- handwriting will be lousy, your arms will be weak, you want the examiner to be able to read what you've written
- if it's hot you WILL doze off
- less concentration (concentration is VITAL for maths)
- tired tomorrow, the day after, always

NO
its simple revise till 4am, wake up 7am, make a GIANT cup of black espresso (no milk..... boiling Hot water) with about 5 heaped spoonful of coffee and sugar! come back home
take a one hour nap and repeat cycle.
only do if absolutely necessary.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hafsa473
Pull an all nighter. It will pay off in august.

funny how this is the only guy with reps and he said to do an all nighter.
Original post by theBranicAc
whats that meant to mean that its gcse

They're easy...
Reply 26
I have managed to do well in exams with as little as 3 hours of sleep although I never did an all nighter. I only slept for 3 hours when I was revising for my history mock and got an A.
Agree with all the people who say dont. the latest i would go is 2am, but really you should be in bed before midnight.
You need to eb alter for maths and if you arent then a simple mistake could spoil your entire train of thought.
All nighter would be counter productive.
Reply 28
Original post by AxSirlotl
I don't really like to say this but if you haven't learnt the majority of what you need to, then you probably can't overnight: you're too tired to take in, understand and remember what you're learning and secondly when you're tired. You're much more prone to making stupid mistakes and not recognising that you need to use sine rule (for example). Do some revision now on important topics, get a good nights sleep and do some more revision in the morning, maybe going to bed early, getting up early and spending about an hour revising maybe? Good luck!

I have learnt all the topics up to A* and also done past papers but still don't feel confident and feel I need to have a last glance at everything. I know how to use the sine and cosine rule.
Original post by Tinka99
I have managed to do well in exams with as little as 3 hours of sleep although I never did an all nighter. I only slept for 3 hours when I was revising for my history mock and got an A.

This isn't a Mock exam though :colonhash:
Get sleep, way more beneficial in the long run.
Reply 31
Original post by Bulletzone
This isn't a Mock exam though :colonhash:

I am not stupid I know it's a real GCSE exam I was just giving the mock as an example.
Reply 32
Sleep. Don't risk it, the tiredness will effect your problem solving skills and will make you more likely to make silly mistakes. Get a full nights sleep, look at one topic in the morning and then do the exam. Read each question thoroughly, try your best.
Does not sleeping have that much of an effect? I honestly just take like 400mg of caffeine if I do an all-nighter and I seem to function fine for the rest of the day, and I just have a crash when I get home. Not taking any risks with exams though :wink:
Revise until you're really sleepy and then go to sleep.
Definitely try to get some sleep though... especially since you said you have more exams after which you also want to have all-nighters for. Two/three days without sleep will not end well.
Good luck though, and take care of yourself! :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Revise until you're really sleepy and then go to sleep.
Definitely try to get some sleep though... especially since you said you have more exams after which you also want to have all-nighters for. Two/three days without sleep will not end well.
Good luck though, and take care of yourself! :smile:

I am well prepared for Biology and Business so not doing all nighters for them. I am also well prepared for Maths as well but I need Maths the most to get into the A levels I want to or my dreams will be crushed.
Original post by Tinka99
Anyone got any tips on how I get through a whole day tomorrow with zero sleep tonight? I have the Edexcel higher tier Maths exam tomorrow and aiming for a B. I am very worried I will end up with a C so to have a safe and secure B will cram in every single topic all night.

I have Biology and Business on Friday so can't sleep tomorrow after Maths even though I am on study leave as I need to revise for them. Any tips on how to survive a whole day?

I have the exact same exams
Biology AQA B2 AND B3
Business Unit 5 Edexcel
If you're accustomed to late nights (like myself), revise until breaking point - I've found just reading sh*t before bed makes it easier to absorb the next day. Maximum for me is 1-2am. Get up at 6am - caffeine caffeine caffeine.

Rock up to the exam, get your B - hell get an A* - hardcore students like us deserve it.
Original post by Tinka99
Anyone got any tips on how I get through a whole day tomorrow with zero sleep tonight? I have the Edexcel higher tier Maths exam tomorrow and aiming for a B. I am very worried I will end up with a C so to have a safe and secure B will cram in every single topic all night.

I have Biology and Business on Friday so can't sleep tomorrow after Maths even though I am on study leave as I need to revise for them. Any tips on how to survive a whole day?

I will advise you not to
Original post by Tinka99
I am well prepared for Biology and Business so not doing all nighters for them. I am also well prepared for Maths as well but I need Maths the most to get into the A levels I want to or my dreams will be crushed.

Take this from someone who has sat plenty of exams: you do NOT need to be doing all nighters, especially if you are well prepared. Read over your notes before bed, get 7 hours of sleep and read over your notes again in the morning. An all nighter is a sure fire way to crush your dreams because you won't be alert enough to sit the exam, and your body takes a long time to recover from sleep depravation like that, so you may also ruin your other exams too. Just try to calm down and get some sleep. If you're as prepared as you say you are, getting a B shouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending