Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are braces not free for 18 year olds on the NHS? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    How bad are your teeth?

What problem do you have?
    tbh not that bad but it would be nice to get them straightened...only reason they declined me is because the teeth measurements didn't comply with their guidelines

(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    If you begin treatment at 17 then you don't have to pay for them, only if you actually start at 18.

I'm 18 and I get my braces fitted in at the end of this month, I don't have to pay.
    Lucky you.

My local dentist told me to get braces but i never really took what she said seriously, that was when i was 17 but now i am 18.

I don't lie the fact that my birthday is in the second month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    If you begin treatment at 17 then you don't have to pay for them, only if you actually start at 18.

I'm 18 and I get my braces fitted in at the end of this month, I don't have to pay.
    I believe that's only if they're "bad" enough so to speak. I was told at 13 if I wanted braces my mum would have to pay because they weren't bad enough. My front two on the top very slightly overlapped and one on the bottom is slightly set back so I can see why but it was still irritating. It could have changed by now (I'm 21 now) but there was like a numbers scale that they judged it on.

ReputationRep:
    How bad are your teeth?

What problem do you have?

You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when your treatment starts, you are:
    • under 18
    • under 19 and in full-time education
    • pregnant or you’ve had a baby within the 12 months before treatment starts
    • staying in an NHS hospital and the hospital dentist carries out your treatment
    • an NHS Hospital Dental Service outpatient (although you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges)
    You can also get free NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts or when you’re asked to pay:
    • you’re included in an award of Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit guarantee credit or Universal credit (check entitlement after October 31 2015)
    • you’re named on, or entitled to, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
    • you’re named on a valid HC2 certificate
    If you can't get it free and you're the top 2 bold bullets you're not in full time education...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Clearly cosmetic issue
    I second this. Although there will be a lot of cases where it is beyond simply comsmetic, pretty much everyone that I know who does has them for cosmetic purposes.

(Original post by eternalhinch)
    tbh not that bad but it would be nice to get them straightened...only reason they declined me is because the teeth measurements didn't comply with their guidelines
    Ohh yeah, i have heard about their guidelines.

Apparently if you are over 18 and your teeth are really bad then you can get bracews for free, but that is just an excpetion.

The dentist told me that the NHS is not allowed to do treatments for 18+

Everyone is entitled to a full course of orthodontic treatment, that means you receive the treatment until misalignment is rectified, that is regardless of whether or not it is a medical problem, so it can be just aesthetic, however treatment usually begins during early teens and tends to be complete within a couple of years, at least that's my experience.

I received a full course when I was 12 which lasted until I was 14-15, but when I was 19-20 my teeth went a bit wonky again, so I worked a full time job and paid £2000 for treatment which I consider fortunate as had I not received the initial treatment, my teeth would have cost many more thousands to correct

Thanks for those that replied to this thread

(Original post by 0to100)
    You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when your treatment starts, you are:
    • under 18
    • under 19 and in full-time education
    • pregnant or you’ve had a baby within the 12 months before treatment starts
    • staying in an NHS hospital and the hospital dentist carries out your treatment
    • an NHS Hospital Dental Service outpatient (although you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges)
    You can also get free NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts or when you’re asked to pay:
    • you’re included in an award of Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit guarantee credit or Universal credit (check entitlement after October 31 2015)
    • you’re named on, or entitled to, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
    • you’re named on a valid HC2 certificate
    If you can't get it free and you're the top 2 bold bullets you're not in full time education...
    Under 19 nd in full time education?

I am under 19 and in full time education.

(Original post by cherryred90s)
    Because it's a cosmetic procedure
    Cool.

ReputationRep:
    Under 19 nd in full time education?

I am under 19 and in full time education.
    Were you under 19 and always in full time education meantime? I mean there's something on that list that applies to you or whoever is a teenager but can't get it free. I wanna figure it out with you because it's kinda ridiculous the state of some peoples teeth.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you.

My local dentist told me to get braces but i never really took what she said seriously, that was when i was 17 but now i am 18.

I don't lie the fact that my birthday is in the second month
    Gosh, I do feel so lucky tbh. I have sort of toned down my excitement but I have been waiting YEARSSSSSSS FOR THIS, I have actually been counting down the days since February (my last appointment).

I have been waiting years tbh for my baby teeth to fall out, that is why it has been so prolonged. I also am really insecure about my teeth....although tbh they aren't thatttt bad, they are pretty straight and already have a good bite but I have gaps in between all of my teeth and I hate them I've never actually seen anyone with teeth like mine before, I feel like I'm unique XD

My mum loves them because they are like my dads teeth, but he is a smoker so his teeth are ruined now and she is against me getting braces because she liked his teeth when they were young

and I'm like...
    "Okay mum...I'm walking away now... "
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't even know why I told you that story, the procrastination is realllll right now XD
    (Original post by Hann95)
    I believe that's only if they're "bad" enough so to speak. I was told at 13 if I wanted braces my mum would have to pay because they weren't bad enough. My front two on the top very slightly overlapped and one on the bottom is slightly set back so I can see why but it was still irritating. It could have changed by now (I'm 21 now) but there was like a numbers scale that they judged it on.

Yes that is like my friend, her teeth overlap but they weren't bad enough to get braces. She is soon going to get Invisalign but I do agree that it is unfair.

Were you under 19 and always in full time education meantime? I mean there's something on that list that applies to you or whoever is a teenager but can't get it free. I wanna figure it out with you because it's kinda ridiculous the state of some peoples teeth.
    I am 18 now, turned 18 about three months ago.

I have always been in full-time education.

Last year, i just finished my GCSE'S.

Also, if it helps one of my family members is on ESA.

ReputationRep:
    I am 18 now, turned 18 about three months ago.

I have always been in full-time education.

Last year, i just finished my GCSE'S.

Also, if it helps one of my family members is on ESA.
    One of your family members? But not you? It says you can potentially get it free if you yourself are on it, or included in the plan so like your folks. Are you?

ReputationRep:
    it's the immigrants mate, they're stealing our braces

One of your family members? But not you? It says you can potentially get it free if you yourself are on it, or included in the plan so like your folks. Are you?

Nope.

(Original post by NickLCFC)
    it's the immigrants mate, they're stealing our braces

I take that to be a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    Ok then that's probably why. You might have started treatment late and then aren't claiming benefits. :\ Everyone's situation is different, several reasons why ppl need dental care but ain't getting it just by the look of em lol and it's tragic but anyway

ReputationRep:
    Braces are orthodontic, if you want free ones then your teeth really have to be awful (i.e. causing you other health problems) otherwise you'll have to pay.

Ok then that's probably why. You might have started treatment late and then aren't claiming benefits. :\ Everyone's situation is different, several reasons why ppl need dental care but ain't getting it just by the look of em lol and it's tragic but anyway
    I do agree that my teeth are not bad compared to others i have seen and i will pay for them by all means but was still wondering why 18-year-olds in full-time education are declined.

I am pretty sure other people would like to know too.

Also, my teeth have not really bothered me until as of recent.

It is only when someone starts to point out your imperfections then it starts getting to you but otherwise, no.

Thanks for your replies btw.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.