Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sadpuppie)
    What is OU part time?
    Open University

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What is OU.
    I am really ***** I cannot pay £9 by my self my parents can't fund me. I'm lost.
    My reason for dropping out is not enough to persuade student finance.
    OU is open university. Where you study a degree online

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes you could still get one extra year of funding, but only if you get evidence for your extenuating circumstances.
    I know this because I have failed uni twice due to health reasons, and this year applied for student finance, received it and have just finished my exams.

everyone is entitled to upto 4yrs of student finance
    but if you had a serious illness or something really personal depending on the reason you're entitled to 5years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinderella25)
    Like people have mentioned before. Really consider how you will be funding for uni. You might be eligible for student finance to cover 1 year but you will have to personally pay for the remaining 2 years and plus pay for the previous 3 years. That will leave you with a lot of dept so I urge you to really consider that it's worth it...

If you want to study computer science then isn't it better if you worked at an IT company and trained with them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am to old for apprentnships. What about internships? I can't find any at all in Birmingham. Heck I don't even care what internship or apprentnship I do I just want to make my parents proud. It seems uni is very slim now because I can't pay £9k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinderella25)
    OU is open university. Where you study a degree online

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you may I ask where do I apply for that and how much is it? Is it worth doing a OU degree? I am confused I never head about this before
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What is OU.
    I am really ***** I cannot pay £9 by my self my parents can't fund me. I'm lost.
    My reason for dropping out is not enough to persuade student finance.
    Open University, which is 6k per year or 3k pt and distance learning.

Well your uni options probably dont exist if you cant pay.

How did you persuade SFE to fund you for the latest attempt? Didnt they warn you what the situation was? You did mention youd paid yourself? You should clarify with them what funding if any is left. Not hopeless, but you sould have asked for advice when your first degree was going pear shaped. People would have warned you then about funding. Talk to SFE.

The alternative is to get a job, work your way up and take vocational/ professional qualifcations that will enhance your career. Eventually if you establish yourself you might get an employer who would fund you. That would be a long way away.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I am to old for apprentnships. What about internships? I can't find any at all in Birmingham. Heck I don't even care what internship or apprentnship I do I just want to make my parents proud. It seems uni is very slim now because I can't pay £9k
    Seriously, just go out and get a normal job. Move on. A degree isn't a guaranteed passport to success and riches. You don't need a CompSci degree to work in IT.

Then after a year or three look at doing an OU degree if you still want to. More likely you won't bother. Because you can pick up IT training and certification via your employer instead, often they will cover the costs.

You parents will be proud of you if you take a mature and measured approach to what happens next...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you may I ask where do I apply for that and how much is it? Is it worth doing a OU degree? I am confused I never head about this before
    You can find all the information here
    http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/find/computing-and-it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Open University, which is 6k per year or 3k pt and distance learning.

Well your uni options probably dont exist if you cant pay.

How did you persuade SFE to fund you for the latest attempt? Didnt they warn you what the situation was? You did mention youd paid yourself? You should clarify with them what funding if any is left.

The alternative is to get a job, work your way up and take vocational/ professional qualifcations that will enhance your career. Eventually if you establish yourself you might get an employer who would fund you. That would eb a long way away.
    If I go OU option does that mean my Student finance is restarted? Or does it add up in my previous unis?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Apprenticeships go up to 25.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If I go OU option does that mean my Student finance is restarted? Or does it add up in my previous unis?
    No. Your student finance is at whatever the current status is.

The only advantage of OOU is that its flexible , you cna do it bit by bit and its cheaper becayse its distance learning. You still have to find the money to pay, which means getting a job.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    No you will still have the same funding problem. That's why many people do OU later, and pay out of savings and/or while still working full-time. Also be aware the OU flexibility also means it takes a while to accumulate the course credits to ultimately get the degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    No you will still have the same funding problem. That's why many people do OU later, and pay out of savings and/or while still working full-time. Also be aware the OU flexibility also means it takes a while to accumulate the course credits to ultimately get the degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who would hire me? What would you do? Job or apprentnship/internship? There are no app/inter in Birmingham I want to cry right now

ReputationRep:
    I think your only option, realistically is to continue on with the course you made it to second year and see if you can pick up where you left off because if you start from year 1 then there's no way that SF will pay for another 3 whole years...

My mate had a similar position where he failed 1st year, repeated it, then failed second year, repeated it and now he's about to start final year meaning he's spent 4 years of funding to make it through 2 years of a course. Now normally, SF would give him no more money because he's had 4 years of funding already but he rang them up and explained his situation how he still intends to finish what he started and they must have made an exception or something because he's been given the go-ahead to get funding for a 5th year in September. I reckon you can do the same by ringing up SF, that is if you want to finish what you started... there's no way they're gonna pay for you to start over again.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Who would hire me? What would you do? Job or apprentnship/internship? There are no app/inter in Birmingham I want to cry right now
    If you can find an apprenticeship then do that. Especially a Higher Apprenticeship (completing one is equivalent to a degree).

Internships are really for people who will be grads and are just looking for a bit of work experience to put on a CV. An apprenticeship is a more formal long term path.

A quick google found this

http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/appre...am/keywords/It

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    I think your only option, realistically is to continue on with the course you made it to second year and see if you can pick up where you left off because if you start from year 1 then there's no way that SF will pay for another 3 whole years...

My mate had a similar position where he failed 1st year, repeated it, then failed second year, repeated it and now he's about to start final year meaning he's spent 4 years of funding to make it through 2 years of a course. Now normally, SF would give him no more money because he's had 4 years of funding already but he rang them up and explained his situation how he still intends to finish what he started and they must have made an exception or something because he's been given the go-ahead to get funding for a 5th year in September. I reckon you can do the same by ringing up SF, that is if you want to finish what you started... there's no way they're gonna pay for you to start over again.
    exactly this is what i did, op still has 3years left if he just provides enough evidence. he has only used two years

ReputationRep:
    I have to give it to you, failing Uni twice... Now that takes some skill

ReputationRep:
    An apprenticeship? I've found about ten IT ones in Birmingham in about twenty seconds.

http://apprenticeships.qa.com/vacanc...lands&items=30

If you go this route, you never know, the company may sponsor you to have a degree after a few years.

ReputationRep:
    1st Uni I dropped out in 2nd year. (I dropped out in 2013)
    2nd Uni I dropped out 1st year. (I dropped out in Jan 2016)

I am a complete trash ***** sh*t head. I hate myself. I want to run away. I'm completely useless, I can't get anything right. I want to change that now. I want to go back for the 3rd time and this time I will pass this time. I am serious. I have let my parents down and myself down. I really don't want to tell you the reason why I dropped out. It's personal sorry.

The problem right now is that i'm having difficulty understanding my current situation with student finance right now. I am now 23 years old and I have no idea how student finance is going to support me now? Does anyone know how much is student finance is going to give me? Loan and Grant that is. Also am I to late to apply? I really really realy don't want to start Uni next year because I will be turning 25 years old.
    My mom and dad earns around £15k each

I really appreciate some help. I really don't know what student finance is going to do.
    It would be absolutely stupid to try to lunge yourself in another course just out of hoping you'd do better this time. First you have to sit down and determine what's wrong. Are you too stupid to complete a degree? (highly, highly unlikely given that I know a person who did a degree in history despite having slight mental retardation). Are you depressed? Do you have ADHD? You have to figure that out before attempting to move on. Oh and it's fine starting uni at 25, it doesn't make the slightest difference.

ReputationRep:
    OP, You really just don't sound like you are in the best frame of mind for university right now. Your main motivation appears to be appeasing your guilt about your parents' disappointment, rather than a passion for a particular subject or career. You are also not able to conduct the necessary research to explore the alternative options.

If you are determined to go to university you can. SFE will not provide tuition fees for you for the initial years of a new degree course. However, you will be able to get the maintenance loan element and part time work. If you complete a course near to home, and commute to uni from home, you can pay your fees, travel costs and make a small household contribution (with some spare funds to enjoy your 20s) via a combination of your maintenance and work income. But that will take determination and focus.

The suggestion of a PP of getting a job/apprenticeship in a relevent employment sector and working your way up, is a good one. It will also help you to clarify that you are making the right career pathway choices, as honestly, you do not appear certain.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.