Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15th June: Can you ever have too many friends? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My friends were coming and going. This had something to do with my movings. Whenever I moved, I had to make new friendships. And at a certain point in my life, I gave making friends up, just because it was always for nothing.

I had a lot ones in the past. Too many for my taste. If it is not possible doing things alone, because your friends want to spend time with you - no matter what it is - it gets annoying.

ReputationRep:
    its like why spend £1 on multiple bars of *****y tesco basic chocolate when you can get yourself a good old dairy milk bar. quality not quantity innit.

ReputationRep:
    I've got 5 or so really close friends who I've known most of my life, I've done everything with, and are always there for each other. They know just about everything about me, however we go to different sixth forms, colleges and apprenticeships, so I have a group of friends at sixth form, as well as other friendships from high school. I don't think you can have too many friends, but too many close friends will be too tiring to maintain. I think you can know lots of people, but wouldn't necessarily call them friends as we don't have that close friendship.

I guess my closest friends are my frenemies, we can argue all the time and really piss each other off, but we really are friends, who could be each other's enemies, as we know so much about each other that we can use it to hurt one another.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me!! You can never have too many fiends~

Friends ? hmmmmmm~
    Never heard of that one before.. Is it a food or drink?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Joker ~)
    Trust me!! You can never have too many fiends~

Friends ? hmmmmmm~
    Never heard of that one before.. Is it a food or drink?
    Disagree, see my comment above. If there is an balance between spending time with friends and alone, it is perfect.

As far as I know friends are humans like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)
    Can you ever have too many friends? What makes someone your ‘best friend’? Have you ever had a ‘frenemy’?
    I think that yes, you can have too many friends, as the more you have the less time you have to spend with each of them, meaning that you will probably never get much quality time together. I guess the more friends you have, the less people you have who are truly close to you.

I suppose what makes a best friend is someone who you are really close to and wish to spend most of your time with. They are the one person you can truly rely on and they will always be there for you to share both your moments of triumph and your moments of despair.

Regarding 'frenemies', I think it depends on your definition of it as to whether or not I have had one. I did have a friend when I was in year 2/3 who was effectively a bully in the guise of a friend. She used to belittle me, nip me on occasion and once even convinced me to steal a pair of dice from school (which I did return later when she wasn't around). I didn't really realise this until after she had ditched me for another girl in the year below and I eventually made better friends, as I hadn't really had any friends before her, so did not realise that what she was doing wasn't normal. I was a bit of a loner as a child and didn't make friends very easily, still don't in fact. I can make plenty of acquaintances, but I only let a select few get closer.

I met my best friend at the start of year 8 after I had fallen out with my friendship group from year 7 and we're still very close, even though we don't see each other often as we chose different colleges. In fact, not seeing each other as much gives us far more to talk about every time we meet up and we are still in communication (through Skype, Facebook, etc) pretty much every day.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can never have enough people to be friendly towards and call your friends.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, ngl I would love to have either more friends or deeper connections with the friends I do have but I don't know how to go about changing this. I'm an only child with aspergers syndrome so I feel disadvantaged in the arena of social interactions as a lot of people I come into contact with irl don't share my hobbies or interests and I never had the benefit of growing up with siblings to hone my social skills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)
    Katie Thistleton sits in for Gemma on The Surgery this week alongside Dr Radha to talk friendship.

Can you ever have too many friends? What makes someone your ‘best friend’? Have you ever had a ‘frenemy’?

Share your stories of making friends, losing friends and staying friends, and tune in on Wednesday 15th June at 9pm on BBC Radio 1 for some advice on what to do if you’re having friend trouble.

Please note: You can post on this forum anonymously.
    According to Dr. Brian Gillespie, Ph.D., assistant professor of sociology at Sonoma State University, people who attempt to maintain more close relationships than their individual constitution supports can suffer what sociologists call "role strain." "Role strain," Gillespie explains, is "frustration over multiple social obligations (i.e., demands on your time and energy) [and] an inability to meet the expectations of your social role (e.g., as a friend)."

PERSONALLY, I have many acquaintances and a few close friends

Honestly, I'm part of a huge group at school (I'm year ten) and we're considered 'popular'. But I'm not close to any of them, I'm barely invited out, I only have two maybe three people out of them all who'd pick up the phone at 3am if I needed them. The whole cliquey thing in high school sucks, I prefer talking to the people I meet outside of school and the people I know that aren't in popular groups. I definitely think small, close circles are better. Better to have a few close friends than 40 fake ones, by a mile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sajjjid)
    Best of friends make the worst of enemies. They know your secrets and weakness. And I learnt that the hard way. Trust me. There are some things you shouldnt open up about to anyone other than parents. They wont use it against you (usually).
    Anything embarrassing or secret I tell my mum, she goes and tells all her friends, just so that she has something to talk about and can be the 'funny' one out of her friends.
    I don't think I'd completely trust even my closest friends either, but I think that's a two way street with them.
    I think my cousins know most of my secrets but thats only cus I have dirt on them too.

ReputationRep:
    ATM, I have like about 4 real "friends" everyone else I just consider as a acquaintance that I speak too. Also, my past friendships that I consider as being "fake friendships" as led me to develop trust issues and I am also careful who I consider to be my friend.

I believe that you can have too many friends and people should be careful who they label as friends in the first place, because if they let you down you'd feel really low. (It has happened to me before).

ReputationRep:
    Friends, who needs them?

ReputationRep:
    yes u can defo have too many friends! I believe having less friends is the best, how are you supposed to even build a relationship with so many people? plus its hard work having too many friends and arguments/ fights happen too often.

ReputationRep:
    i think you should be careful with how many friends you have and who your friends with. sometimes you may feel satisfied with having many friends but things can sometimes get out of hand. in my opinion, its good to have a few friends, those who u can rely on and you can trust

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarletXxXRose)
    Anything embarrassing or secret I tell my mum, she goes and tells all her friends, just so that she has something to talk about and can be the 'funny' one out of her friends.
    I don't think I'd completely trust even my closest friends either, but I think that's a two way street with them.
    I think my cousins know most of my secrets but thats only cus I have dirt on them too.
    Luckily for me its the opposite. Infront of me, my mum will put me down hard :lol: but when shes talking to her friends she never talks about anything embarrassing but instead says good things about me. Have you told your mum how you feel? Friends come and go. Thats the problem so you cant trust them completely at all. For me, cousins are the worst :lol: One time I was out with my ex who is white spanish (im asian) so I couldnt even say she was a cousin from my other side of the family .He saw me and told my mum that same day.

ReputationRep:
    There is no such a thing as too many friends!!!

ReputationRep:
    If you have too man friends call then and say that you are in trouble.... (see how many will help).

I don`t think you can have more than 5-10 friends, i mean those that can be with you in good times and bad times. Those that knock on your door at night without ringing and want place to sleep.
    Those that you can call any time and moan about your life....

ReputationRep:
    There many types of friends if you would. Some don't deserve the title friends whereas others deserve something more. The title of friends is too precious to give to anyone I mean you could meet a random stranger on the street and discover you have common interests but are they really your friend?
    Well some people pretend to be friends just for their benefits but as soon as they no longer get those benefits from you, they dispose of you as if you are a tissue paper who was useful to the person and then they can no longer use that person so they get rid of you.
    You have those friends who genuinely care about you and your well being however they don't want to be the ones who get involved in the personal side of your life and only live the positives with you.
    There are also friends with whom you meet after a very long time however they still are very close to you and are able to support you in times of need.
    Then there are the friends who want to know everything about your life just for their personal gossip.
    Finally there are your best friends who never leave your side even if you upset them they come back to you then next day to star afresh because they know that all you said to them that day was because you had a reason to be angry, these people are able to delve deep into your emotions and are able to understand you psychologically. They love to spend time with you and never ever talk bad about you on your back except they do that in front of you as a joke these are the people who deserve the title best friend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.