The Student Room Group

cartilage piercing HELP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiiten
It did seem a bit odd. I mean i got it done at a chemist and the woman cleaned the area and wore gloves when she pierced my ear. But when i think about it she couldnt pierce it properly and had to put the back in herself because the gun didnt pierce it properly.

EDIT: Do you think its ok to wash my hair tomorrow (will the shampoo irritate it?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is also a lot of controversy surrounding gun piercings with cartilage, as they supposedly cause more trauma. Guns do malfunction sometimes, even with lobe piercings so this isn't unusual.

Yes, you should be fine to wash your hair, just be careful not to knock your ear or get your hair caught in it, shampoo might sting a bit so make sure to rinse your ear with fresh water to make sure there is no shampoo lingering.
Reply 21
Original post by Charlotte49
There is also a lot of controversy surrounding gun piercings with cartilage, as they supposedly cause more trauma. Guns do malfunction sometimes, even with lobe piercings so this isn't unusual.

Yes, you should be fine to wash your hair, just be careful not to knock your ear or get your hair caught in it, shampoo might sting a bit so make sure to rinse your ear with fresh water to make sure there is no shampoo lingering.

Before you mentioned a saline soak. What do you mean by that? Ive just been applying the solution with a cotton bud.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
Before you mentioned a saline soak. What do you mean by that? Ive just been applying the solution with a cotton bud.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Using a cotton bud will just be irritating it more and cotton fibres will get attached to the earring or any sticky bits. Saline soak is salt mixed with lukewarm water at a 1:10 ratio roughly and you soak your ear in it in a bowl or basin. You can also use this mixture with a piece of kitchen roll soaked in it and squeeze it out over your piercing to irrigate it.
Reply 23
Using a cotton bud will just be irritating it more and cotton fibres will get attached to the earring or any sticky bits. Saline soak is salt mixed with lukewarm water at a 1:10 ratio roughly and you soak your ear in it in a bowl or basin. You can also use this mixture with a piece of kitchen roll soaked in it and squeeze it out over your piercing to irrigate it.

I see ill try that. (I mean a cotton bud like what you use to clean your ears not the fluffy cotton balls/wool) - does it matter if the solution is cold? After about 20 mins are you supposed to wash it with clean water?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
I see ill try that. (I mean a cotton bud like what you use to clean your ears not the fluffy cotton balls/wool) - does it matter if the solution is cold? After about 20 mins are you supposed to wash it with clean water?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't make any difference - fibres still come off cotton buds. You shouldn't be touching the piercing area with anything ideally, it's much better to irrigate. Salt won't dissolve in cold water very well, much better to use warm/hot water and allow it to cool until it's lukewarm. No, saline is fine on its own, there is no need to rinse afterwards.
Reply 25
Doesn't make any difference - fibres still come off cotton buds. You shouldn't be touching the piercing area with anything ideally, it's much better to irrigate. Salt won't dissolve in cold water very well, much better to use warm/hot water and allow it to cool until it's lukewarm. No, saline is fine on its own, there is no need to rinse afterwards.

Ok, oh I mean I made the solution a few days ago so its obviously gone cold now :biggrin: (probably should have specified earlier).
Original post by kiiten
Ok, oh I mean I made the solution a few days ago so its obviously gone cold now :biggrin: (probably should have specified earlier).

I'd make fresh solution each time since it's not airtight or sterile (therefore can have bacterial growth) for all of the 2 minutes it would take to run the hot tap and dissolve a little salt and let it cool you'll have safer saline at the correct temperature, so definitely worth it IMO.
Original post by kiiten
It did seem a bit odd. I mean i got it done at a chemist and the woman cleaned the area and wore gloves when she pierced my ear. But when i think about it she couldnt pierce it properly and had to put the back in herself because the gun didnt pierce it properly.

EDIT: Do you think its ok to wash my hair tomorrow (will the shampoo irritate it?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would go to a proper piercer and get the jewellery changed. Chances are the stud that was used in the gun is too short to accommodate swelling. I can't believe people still choose to pierce with guns when there are so many good piercers out there that can do it properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I think its because the earring is quite 'snug' its gold plated so im not allergic to it (my other piercings are also real gold).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not an expert, but it might be the jewellery - piercing guns usually have studs with butterfly backs, right? So it probably is a bit too tight for swelling. Also, gold jewellery (especially gold plated) isn't the best for new piercings, because the plating can rub off.

I'd go to a piercer (in a piercing studio, NOT Claire's) and see what they say about it.
Reply 30
Original post by ConicalFlask
I'm not an expert, but it might be the jewellery - piercing guns usually have studs with butterfly backs, right? So it probably is a bit too tight for swelling. Also, gold jewellery (especially gold plated) isn't the best for new piercings, because the plating can rub off.

I'd go to a piercer (in a piercing studio, NOT Claire's) and see what they say about it.

Thanks i will do if it doesnt get better soon :smile: yeah it has a butterfly back, the pain has gone, its just swollen now so its probably too tight. I got it done under 2 weeks ago now. When i try touching it, its the back that hurts the front is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
iv got loads of cartilage ones, iv had them YEARS and even now they occasionally hurt when i sleep on them.
when i get stressed or run down, my piercings tend to get tender
Reply 32
Original post by shawtyb
iv got loads of cartilage ones, iv had them YEARS and even now they occasionally hurt when i sleep on them.
when i get stressed or run down, my piercings tend to get tender

Thanks - thats quite helpful as i am pretty stressed atm. If the swelling doesnt go down within a week im going to remove the back but leave the earring. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
Thanks - thats quite helpful as i am pretty stressed atm. If the swelling doesnt go down within a week im going to remove the back but leave the earring. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yw :smile:
it happens with alot of peole, try not to worry
there also reknown for taking a very long time to fully heal
Original post by kiiten

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're better off getting it changed to a titanium barbell or similar that is the correct length.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Ok so my ear is back to normal now (almost). Thanks for the advice everyone :smile:. But ive noticed that it has been bleeding a little bit. Should i still clean it with the saline solultion (wouldnt that irritate it more?).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending