Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I tell my parents I self-harm? watch

ReputationRep:
    Your parents throw emotional abuse at you? That's disgusting. It really depends on your relationship with your parents; if your parents are able to throw abuse at you, then you don't know if they would understand. I've been in a slightly similar situation before, so if you want proper advice you can always PM me. I can't help you until I know the nature of your relationship with them, because you will need to approach it differently sometimes. Until then, do not let what they say get to you. I know that's easy to say, because they're your parents and they have great influence over you, but despite what many people think, parents can be *******s too. You are amazing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Is there anyone else you can talk to about this? A friend, sibling or school councilor? In general I'd say, tell them how you're feeling and how what they say affects your self esteem, and in return, you self harm as an outlet. But again, it's not always as simple as, and it seems like that is the case in your situation.

I hope you pull through this. Best of luck! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Your parents throw emotional abuse at you? That's disgusting. It really depends on your relationship with your parents; if your parents are able to throw abuse at you, then you don't know if they would understand. I've been in a slightly similar situation before, so if you want proper advice you can always PM me. I can't help you until I know the nature of your relationship with them, because you will need to approach it differently sometimes. Until then, do not let what they say get to you. I know that's easy to say, because they're your parents and they have great influence over you, but despite what many people think, parents can be *******s too. You are amazing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Is there anyone else you can talk to about this? A friend, sibling or school councilor? In general I'd say, tell them how you're feeling and how what they say affects your self esteem, and in return, you self harm as an outlet. But again, it's not always as simple as, and it seems like that is the case in your situation.

I hope you pull through this. Best of luck! :hugs:
    I've told my best friend who's also self harmed before. I tried to tell my parents that what they're doing makes me less confident as they call me things like "Retard, moron, Hitler's reincarnation." They once called me "Insane". Since most of their abuse is to do with being dumb I tried doing my best at school so now I get bullied at school for being 'a nerd'. I don't want to tell my school councilor as they're bad at doing their job.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.