Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I like British culture but i'm not massively patriotic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    In one way im a proud Brit. though do you really study english history ? its boring as hell, compared to other places, not to mention we were pretty much nothing untill the 17th century ?... I doubt many people know much about our history, really.

But as ive grown up Patriotism seems like a childish view ( almost like relgion really ), what has it done, apart from allow wars to be fought more easily, allowing the poor of us to die on useless war, for no gain for ourselves. It makes people mindlessly follow the countries objectives, it causes hate and disgust for other people, who don't fit in with us .It's also allows governments to violate civil rights and censor people, due to people mindlessly being patriotic.

And what do we gain from it ? we don't really even need it.

further more an area of dirt on the ground, is just an area of dirt on the ground, the flag is just a rag on a pole, its nice to look at but has no other value. Why should we be so proud for our parent to be lucky enough to **** on some dirt?

Patriotism has so many cons really and offers nothing if you really think about it. And what is it to be patriotic ?

all that being said Ive research a lot into the Uk's history and am somewhat patriotic, but only slightly, as i grow older im sure thatll fade away. Since right now im just a mush of views and ideals that have not molded into place.
    As an aspiring history teacher i concur on the fact that the history taught is very boring, especially at the younger years. i believe to make history interesting you need a narrative, a hook, to keep the students interested and engaged. Without patriotism though, especially in the British sense, where would we be now? it was patriotism that brought millions of volunteers to the front. it was patriotism that brought ships from all over the UK to Dunkirk. that is what we have gained from patriotism. the ability to not be patriotic. From a historical perspective it has had both great and dire consequences, as you put yourself.

My definition about being patriotic is to support your country and her people no matter what. To be proud of the accomplishments and recognise the failures, all in the name of bettering your own family and country itself.

Obviously you can tell i am a patriot and to be honest i often feel i belong i should have been born 100 years ago. or maybe thats just the fact i am so immersed in our history and compared to other countries i am proud of what we have accomplished. thanks for your very insightful comment and i hope you didn't mind my mad ramblings. Good day to you sir.

ReputationRep:
    somewhat, but not totally.

ReputationRep:
    im patriotic bc im happy when i go to my country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razamataz666)
    sad to hear to be honest considering we have such a vast and magnificent history.
    why should people today be proud we had an Empire? British history is no better than French or German. all have had achievements and negative stuff.

ReputationRep:
    as a proud Brit i am outraged by the general lack of enthusiasm for our country or its history, within today's youth. if you wouldn't mind saying whether you are patriotic or not and state why.
    I am patriotic and believe in the self determination of what happens in our country

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have always been ashamed to be English.

So no.

ReputationRep:
    Britain has among the best intellectual histories in the world (people focus on its military history as though killing people is admirable). That is, it was a powerhouse of really good ideas like liberalism, parliamentary democracy, common law, etc. I love continental Europe's art and culture but when it comes to politics and ideology, Britain is my home (also France but even people like Voltaire thought that Scotland and England were the trailblazers in liberal thought).

Now, granted, contemporary Britain is a backwater in ideas and so many Brits today don't seem to give a rat's ass about its intellectual history. I've spoken to English people who've no clue who people like Richard Cobden and John Bright even were. A shame, really.

But it doesn't matter. Britain gave birth to important liberal ideas so it has a special place in my heart. Italy and Greece too for different reasons (antiquity and Renaissance).

ReputationRep:
    the flag is just a rag on a pole, its nice to look at but has no other value.
    Do you not understand the concept of symbolism? It's not just a "rag on a pole" it's what it stands for that matters.

Let me ask you something: is my wedding ring simply a circle of metal on my finger or is there a deeper meaning? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Do you not understand the concept of symbolism? It's not just a "rag on a pole" it's what it stands for that matters.

Let me ask you something: is my wedding ring simply a circle of metal on my finger or is there a deeper meaning? :dontknow:

What’s that fluttering in a breeze?
    Its just a piece of cloth
    that brings a nation to its knees.

What’s that unfurling from a pole?
    It’s just a piece of cloth
    that makes the guts of men grow bold.

What’s that rising over a tent?
    that dares the coward to relent.

What’s that flying across a field?
    that will outlive the blood you bleed.

How can I possess such a cloth?
    Just ask for a flag my friend.
    Then blind your conscience to the end

and a wedding ring, is just a circle of metal, that holds no deeper meaning , unless were bought up to think it does. Though i must say thats a great example to use, either way .. A flag is a rag on a pole.

ReputationRep:
    What’s that fluttering in a breeze?
    Its just a piece of cloth
    that brings a nation to its knees.

What’s that unfurling from a pole?
    that makes the guts of men grow bold.

What’s that rising over a tent?
    that dares the coward to relent.

What’s that flying across a field?
    that will outlive the blood you bleed.

How can I possess such a cloth?
    Just ask for a flag my friend.
    Then blind your conscience to the end

and a wedding ring, is just a circle of metal, that holds no deeper meaning , unless were bought up to think it does. Though i must say thats a great example to use, either way .. A flag is a rag on a pole.
    Nice poem shame it's full of **** symbolism is in many things including a wedding ring

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    as a proud Brit i am outraged by the general lack of enthusiasm for our country or its history, within today's youth. if you wouldn't mind saying whether you are patriotic or not and state why.
    I'm just a racist who wants Britain to stay out of the EU. Best thing about this referendum is us racists can vote.

ReputationRep:
    I am proud to be British however I'm certainly not the type of person who would get a flag and shove it in front of somebody's face.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Im a british muslim and Im patriotic in the fact that I want/hope this country leaves the EU and regains control of it's democracy and makes its own decisions. This is what I believe Britain needs, its independence and greatness back. EU is a horrible organisation run by unknown horrible foreign politicians who want to control us in a bad way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    I'm just a racist who wants Britain to stay out of the EU. Best thing about this referendum is us racists can vote.
    You do realise we're still going to have immigration if we leave the EU, right? And we'd probably have more non-white immigration as a result, since we'd no longer be obliged to accept any European who wanted to enter the UK?

ReputationRep:
    I am very proud of my culture and nation. But more importantly, I feel extremely proud and grateful that I was born in the West, where I am able to express myself freely and live within an equal society. I have been given opportunities to do and be whatever I like; something my parents did not have growing up.

ReputationRep:
    One does not choose one's own country, so being patriotic is utterly nonsensical.

ReputationRep:
    If I had to I would say Ive got more in common with immigrants than I do with my leaders, paitorism is blurred by all the mass ethnic groups* we have in this country, not saying thats a bad thing but its just the mass in population in it self.
    Moreover you arent taught it in school throughout

Paitorism in my opinion is all in the mind, it doesnt exist, the false love to a land, we see extremism take place from it, e.g. from the past Hitler and german chauvism and the anti-Semitism. And in britian we see parties like Britian first, and what does that lead to?

ReputationRep:
    I'm patriotic enough to argue that british culture beats the ever loving **** out of the cultures that come from the middle east/africa (and most of the world to be honest)
    but I'm not patriotic enough to be a flag-waving monarchy-appeaser who lives the british tea-sipping football-loving "poof" stereotype

ReputationRep:
    I think that this irresponsible giving social benefits to strangers that come to the European countries from a middle East and Africa, who did no contribution to the country they are taking money from, will spread a Polish syndrom all over Europe, by which I mean "A government is a nation's enemy".
    It's being my answer also on my patriotism as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.