The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE results good enough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joe_Gaughan
I'm definitely not aiming for Oxbridge Universities, but hopefully one in the Russel Group. I'm so determined to do well in my A-Levels; I'll try so much harder. Are my results good enough for these Uni's?

Ask someone who cares. I bet you're one of those obese people who claim they're too fat to work.
I'm definitely not aiming for Oxbridge Universities, but hopefully one in the Russel Group. I'm so determined to do well in my A-Levels; I'll try so much harder. Are my results good enough for these Uni's?

Dude, stop considering what this person is saying. They're just a troll and trying to demoralise you. Your AS, predicted grades, ps and extra curricular activities are so much more important. Your GCSE grades are fine, just make sure you do well next year and you're set :smile:
Original post by billyformerny
My goodness, everything you've written in this paragraph reflects me right now. I know for a fact I could have tried harder for my GCSE's and I'd be lucky to get 5A*'s 4A's and 2B's. I know I can do well for my AS/A-levels but I feel that even though I do, my gcse grades will let me down massively.
Still aim for Oxbridge and do the best for your AS, that's what I'm planning to do. You honestly never know where life takes you:smile:

You do if you're a failure (*cough* YOU *cough*)
Original post by celloel
It's okay! I like trying to help people :redface:
I'm the first year doing the changes (I'm in the year above you) and some colleges/schools will get you to sit AS Levels (mine has). It's not required anymore so you'd have to check to see if your school does. If not, your GCSE results might become slightly more important as they're the only results the Universities will see.

As long as your sixth form/college will predict you decent results for your full A Level then you'll be fine. You said you didn't want to go to Oxbridge - your results are more than fine for Russell Group Universities!
Thanks, but that was the person above me, not me and I'm aware that my school won't do AS.

I want to go to Oxbridge, but by the looks of it my chances are really slim. :redface:

And ngl I thought you were a lot older. Sorry. :frown: :tongue:

Again, Thank you so much for your help. :smile:
Original post by Pyongyang123
Sorry to disappoint, but Oxford/Cambridge usually look for 6 A*s at least and GCSEs matter even more this year because of changes to A levels. I guess it's too late for you and you should've realised you need to actually work sooner.

I'd give up if I were you. Maybe try a job at McDonald's and see if you fancy the low income life.

Give up already.

Lol fat chance. Try tesco. Or clean my house?

4/10 troll, it'll probably succeed because TSR users are terribly insecure about their grades.

Anyway OP, you're grades are certainly good enough for Russell Group unis. Even Oxbridge, particularly if you do well in you A-levels. More so Cambridge than Oxford though. Peterhouse College in Cambridge released statistics in another thread that showed that a significant proportion of applicants for Law got in with 1 or less A*'s.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
4/10 troll, it'll probably succeed because TSR users are terribly insecure about their grades.

Anyway OP, you're grades are certainly good enough for Russell Group unis. Even Oxbridge, particularly if you do well in you A-levels. More so Cambridge than Oxford though. Peterhouse College in Cambridge released statistics in another thread that showed that a significant proportion of applicants for Law got in with 1 or less A*'s.

I'm not a troll, just sick of people asking others to tell then that their grades are amazing and asking for sympathy. Go and work to achieve what you want, but don't come crying if you choose not to. Pathetic.
Lol fat chance. Try tesco. Or clean my house?

I'd give up if I were you. Maybe try a job at McDonald's and see if you fancy the low income life.

Give up already

Why are you trying to seek attention?
Fu**ing Grow up or just Log off the Forums if you have no positive contribution.

@OP Here is a quote from their website:"
We do not have any specific requirements for GCSE grades, though higher grades can help to make your application more competitive. Successful applicants typically have a high proportion of A and A* grades.

Where possible, tutors will look at your GCSEs in the context of the overall performance of the school or college where you studied so if, for example, you didn’t get all A* and A grades, but your results were among the best in your year group, that will be taken into account. Tutors will also consider your achieved or predicted grades at A-level (or other equivalent qualifications), your personal statement, academic reference, and any written work or written tests required for your course. If your application is shortlisted your performance at interview will also be taken in to account.
If you feel that you did less well in your GCSEs than you might otherwise have done, for good reason, then you may still be able to make a competitive application. Examples would include disruption caused by change of school or system, severe discontinuity of teachers, bereavement, and debilitating illness. We take care to treat each application individually and would always take such mitigating circumstances into account, if they are brought to our attention. You may like to mention any such circumstances in your personal statement, and your referee should make sure to mention them clearly in their reference.
Tutors will want to see how you improve your academic performance after your GCSEs and that you do well in your A-levels or other equivalent qualifications."

Look at the thing's I've highlighted in Bold. To summarise, You don't need amazing GCSE's to get into good Universities, but they'd rather look at your A-levels.
If you do the best in your whole Year Group, that shall be taken into account and it's all brought down to how you carry yourself at the interview, You said you wanted to go to Russel group university?
I'd advise you to check on their website the GCSE Requirements to get onto a course.
I'm not a troll, just sick of people asking others to tell then that their grades are amazing and asking for sympathy. Go and work to achieve what you want, but don't come crying if you choose not to. Pathetic.

I get more annoyed at the people who get like 6+ A*'s and try to get reassurance. Threads like these are legitimate though. Who could blame someone for thinking that 2 A*'s isn't good enough when they're surrounded by all these people with better grades?

Regardless, 2 A*'s won't rule OP out of Oxbridge, and certainly not Russell. That's undeniable. There are people studying there with less.
I'm a pretty clever person, and throughout high school I achieved decent results - mostly As or A*s. However, the end of my GCSEs are fast approaching and i'm worried that I've not done well enough. Throughout the past two years I have simply not put in enough effort, and am worried that my GCSEs wont be good enough. I have two exams left, and am predicted 2A*s, 3As, 3Bs and 2Cs. These results are way more than I need to go to college, but will they be acceptable for good universities? I am just upset, because I know I had the potential to do better. I'm not aiming for an Oxbridge University, but would Russel Group Uni's still accept me with these results?

I just also realised that I didn't put a question mark in the title. Wow.

Seriously, as long as you achieve those predicted grades your good. Just ace your A levels and you will be fine. :smile:

I have a friend who only got 1 A*, 4 A's and 4 B's in his GCSE's. However, he managed to achieve A*A*A in his A levels and he is studying Statistics, Economics and Finance at UCL.

I also know another person who got 2 A*s and 7 A's in his GCSE's. However, he managed to achieve A*A*A* in his A levels and he is studying Chemistry at Durham.
Original post by Bulletzone
Fu**ing Grow up or just Log off the Forums if you have no positive contribution.

Damn, someone took the bait.

Well, now he wins.
Reply 30
As Long as you get a B in maths and English language, it doesnt matter as long as your A levels meet the university requirements.
I would still try for Oxbridge if you want to but im not sure. To be honest, Cambridge and Oxford are quite different in their requirements.

Oxford:
After you send your UCAS application off, you take some sort of AT exam, physics is PAT and maths is MAT. You have to do these entry exams regardless of whether you get an interview or not. If you do well in the entry exam and do well in the interview, you are likely to get an offer. But the interview is like an exam in itself. Then as long as you pretty much meet the course requirements, you'll get a place.

Cambridge:
After you send off you UCAS application, you will do STEP (entry exam for maths), or have to send off some sort of piece of work for History or English and those type of subjects. Sciences dont require any piece of work. Then you will have an inerview, if you do well in the interview, you get an offer but the interviews are hard like Oxford. However, unlike Oxford, Cambridge want your AS Level exam results to be above 90 ums, I only got two exam results that were 90 ums or above so I didnt get an interview.

To be honest, Cambridge and Oxford have very high drop out and depression rates compared to other universities, so even though your degree will be considered of the highest level, you may hate university. But this depends on whether you like lots of pressure and assessment and can deal with that.
AND Russel Group Unis arent all they're cracked up to be. Surrey, Sussex and Bath appear in the top 10 universities in the UK in some league tables and are not Russel Group, places like Queen Mary's, King's college and UCL weren't anywhere near the top 10 this year and are RG. So if you're deciding on your universities based on its RG status, have a rethink as RG universites are just a list of the first universites that only have a good rep because they've been here for so long. If anything, I'd go to a university that is rapidly developing and improving as you're going to be at the heart of that during your degree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kennz
As Long as you get a B in maths and English language, it doesnt matter as long as your A levels meet the university requirements.
I would still try for Oxbridge if you want to but im not sure. To be honest, Cambridge and Oxford are quite different in their requirements.

Oxford:
After you send your UCAS application off, you take some sort of AT exam, physics is PAT and maths is MAT. You have to do these entry exams regardless of whether you get an interview or not. If you do well in the entry exam and do well in the interview, you are likely to get an offer. But the interview is like an exam in itself. Then as long as you pretty much meet the course requirements, you'll get a place.

Cambridge:
After you send off you UCAS application, you will do STEP (entry exam for maths), or have to send off some sort of piece of work for History or English and those type of subjects. Sciences dont require any piece of work. Then you will have an inerview, if you do well in the interview, you get an offer but the interviews are hard like Oxford. However, unlike Oxford, Cambridge want your AS Level exam results to be above 90 ums, I only got two exam results that were 90 ums or above so I didnt get an interview.

To be honest, Cambridge and Oxford have very high drop out and depression rates compared to other universities, so even though your degree will be considered of the highest level, you may hate university. But this depends on whether you like lots of pressure and assessment and can deal with that.
AND Russel Group Unis arent all they're cracked up to be. Surrey, Sussex and Bath appear in the top 10 universities in the UK in some league tables and are not Russel Group, places like Queen Mary's, King's college and UCL weren't anywhere near the top 10 this year and are RG. So if you're deciding on your universities based on its RG status, have a rethink as RG universites are just a list of the first universites that only have a good rep because they've been here for so long. If anything, I'd go to a university that is rapidly developing and improving as you're going to be at the heart of that during your degree.
WOW! Thank you so much! :smile:
A friend of mine currently on a gap year decided to reapply for Oxford for Engineering after getting A*A*A*A* at A Level, he got 3 A*s at GCSE. He got the interview and subsequently got the offer.

In the grand scheme of things, your GCSEs will be fine to go to most Russell Group universities , maybe not for courses like Law or Medicine, but the majority of other subjects.

You got better GCSEs than me, and having gone through the UCAS application process twice (lol flopped my A2s) I only applied for russell group universities and I got all of my offers. Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Exeter, Southampton and Newcastle (I switched Southampton for Newcastle on second attempt) for a Politics degree and dependent on my exam mark on Tuesday I'll be going to Leeds in september.

Honestly don't worry about them, your predicted grades are by no means poor and in reality you'll notice GCSEs mean a lot less than what your teachers say about them.
Reply 33
Give up already

Why are people like you even here?:u:
Original post by Bulletzone

@OP Here is a quote from their website:"
We do not have any specific requirements for GCSE grades, though higher grades can help to make your application more competitive. Successful applicants typically have a high proportion of A and A* grades.

Where possible, tutors will look at your GCSEs in the context of the overall performance of the school or college where you studied so if, for example, you didn’t get all A* and A grades, but your results were among the best in your year group, that will be taken into account. Tutors will also consider your achieved or predicted grades at A-level (or other equivalent qualifications), your personal statement, academic reference, and any written work or written tests required for your course. If your application is shortlisted your performance at interview will also be taken in to account.
If you feel that you did less well in your GCSEs than you might otherwise have done, for good reason, then you may still be able to make a competitive application. Examples would include disruption caused by change of school or system, severe discontinuity of teachers, bereavement, and debilitating illness. We take care to treat each application individually and would always take such mitigating circumstances into account, if they are brought to our attention. You may like to mention any such circumstances in your personal statement, and your referee should make sure to mention them clearly in their reference.
Tutors will want to see how you improve your academic performance after your GCSEs and that you do well in your A-levels or other equivalent qualifications."

Look at the thing's I've highlighted in Bold. To summarise, You don't need amazing GCSE's to get into good Universities, but they'd rather look at your A-levels.
If you do the best in your whole Year Group, that shall be taken into account and it's all brought down to how you carry yourself at the interview, You said you wanted to go to Russel group university?
I'd advise you to check on their website the GCSE Requirements to get onto a course.

Oh dear 😂. No one asked for an essay. I'm not a troll, just sick of people asking for sympathy. Seriously you should get a life and stop patronising people with multiple psragraph responses to a simple question. Sad
Reply 35
Give up already

Your petty comments make me laugh,why do you feel the need to comment such negative, derogative **** on here ? It's just so pathetic. You're no better than anyone else.
Original post by skye99
Your petty comments make me laugh,why do you feel the need to comment such negative, derogative **** on here ? It's just so pathetic. You're no better than anyone else.

Clearly better than you since you feel the need to swear. Go clean my car or serve me lunch
Reply 37
Clearly better than you since you feel the need to swear. Go clean my car or serve me lunch

No you're not, I mean at least I used correct punctuation.
Reply 38
Original post by skye99
No you're not, I mean at least I used correct punctuation.

Lol so ironic! You comma spliced in that sentence, i d i o t
Reply 39
Guys support Pyongyang in this. His account was banned but his soul lives on!

Quick Reply

Latest