Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    It depends on the couple tbh and the difference between maturity. I can see why it may raise some eyebrows, since you're a sixth former/fresher and he's a grown man most likely with a job, so the difference in life experience is quite big. However, if he's a good guy, not taking advantage of you, not dating you because younger girls are more likely to be impressionable and you both have the same maturity levels then it's fine. Ultimately, you're both adults, so you can make your own decisions.
    I know plenty of 23 year olds who would raise an eyebrow at being called "grown men". Myself included, sometimes at least.

ReputationRep:
    Also talking to a guy who is 19 going on 20 as a 17 year old girl who is told to be very mature for her age. Falling for him and want to date. Don't know how to tell my parents. Anybody can help?

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're both over 18 age doesn't matter. It's only seen as weird if its like a 14 year old and an 18 year old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    The short of it is ... is 23 too old for an 18 year old???!!
    This guy is incredible, he is such a nice person.. I know it sound stupid but I've never actually really liked someone like this before, but I get told that we can't be a thing because 5 years difference is too much?!!!
    While people perceive you as relatively young, as you grow older year by year
    you realise age plays little of a factor & what matters is whether you both mentally, emotionally
    and intellectually share the similar outlook in life. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epage)
    If an adult male feels the need to date 18 year olds or younger, theres a reason. He is looking for power and it is not a good idea.
    That is not necessarily true at all. I have a good friend who is 23 who will be a fresher this is at uni. He's been living overseas for the last 4 years pursuing a dream but now he will be attending uni. If he meets someone who is 18 and they date it will be because that is where they both are.... I guess you could say they are at the same life stage even though they are different ages. It will not be that he would date her because he's looking for power. You really can't judge this situation unless you know more of the background. My friend is awesome, and he's not the person to dominate a girl he's just older going off to uni.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,
    The short of it is ... is 23 too old for an 18 year old???!!
    This guy is incredible, he is such a nice person.. I know it sound stupid but I've never actually really liked someone like this before, but I get told that we can't be a thing because 5 years difference is too much?!!!
    Personally no I don't think that a 5 year age gap is wrong, just make sure that you both want the same things and that he is the right guy for you!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.