Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Some schools are tight! If an individual pays, it does cost the school a lot of money, which is why I said the school usually don't do it unless its a whole cohort as it's cheaper this way.
    I don't quite follow you. The cost is the same per paper whether one is ordered or all of them and if the school won't pay then the OP can.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I was going to say!

I know what/who you mean. They are the Offical TSR. So if it was a job scenario, they would be my boss basically. You only get that title when you are in control of a whole section of a forum like a person in charge of the University/Personal Statements Forum and so forth.
    No. Section Leaders are the ones in charge of a forum. They are members of the Support Team, not members of the Community Team (the paid staff.) The title of Very Important Poster means you are a member of a group of volunteer posters, not necessarily members of the Support or Community Teams, who aim to answer unanswered threads within a certain time frame so that people don't get ignored.

ReputationRep:
    Thats how i feel for business too. But the only thing I can do NOW, is to work hard and do (not try) my best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by person3867)
    Hi, I'm just wondering whether there is in fact anything I can do about this situation or not...

Basically, I was predicted A's and A*'s in my A levels (Geog, Politics, Philosophy) and my educational history can back this. However, it came to the attention of myself and about two months ago that not only had our teachers left out pretty fair chunks of the course, what they had taught had been taught either wrong, or rather badly. Thus, I had to re-adapt my revision schedule to accommodate for the new material that had to be learnt and spent a total of eight weeks re-writing the course content and trying to understand it- which anybody who takes Philosophy can agree, is not always the easiest of tasks.
    Thus, by the time the exam arrived, although I had covered the majority of the content to the best degree I could, I was short on time to actually 'revise' it and had also not been able to practise any exam questions efficiently; this proved detrimental in the exam when trying to respond to 12 and 25 mark questions- although our teachers had provided some level of approach regarding how to answer them, their approaches varied greatly. In fact, when I actually did had in a 25 mark question (in which I knew the content was right as it was drawn from text books), it was marked down because my teacher had not understood the content to credit it; one thing she corrected made the statement a fundamental contradiction!
    So obviously the exam did not go well; I definitely have not got the A I should have done but moreover, since I had to spend so much time focussing on Philosophy, I've not performed nearly as well in my other subjects which I haven't been able to dedicate adequate attention to.
    I've always been someone who cares about their grades and was aiming for a straight set of A*/As in my A levels- as can be demonstrated with my A* (post-standardisation) EPQ which was complete before this all came to light. Thus, I'm just really disappointed that it may impact me getting to university, for which I only needed AAB, but now it seems like I'll be falling a detrimental amount from that. Obviously if I were to miss out, I'd just re-sit the exams next year because I'd rather end up in a university that I match up to academically, but I wasn't sure if there was anything I could do now, perhaps to let the university know the situation?
    My reservations are rooted in the fact that I don't want to seem like I'm just justifying a bad exam, which is why I haven't considered it this seriously until now. Not only that, but as bad as my teachers were, they were two of the most lovely people I've met in my life and if anything, I feel guilty criticising their work when evidently they've had to go through this hell at one point to get to where they are.

If anyone had any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated, but I understand that my best bet at this point is probably gritting my teeth and dealing with it on results day and accepting that's life :' Cheers
    Hey i just wanted to say that even if you had reported it, theres a chance nothing would of happened anyway. I need AAA for uni and my teacher decided not to teach us a module as it 'came up last year'. Going through the specification i noticed but it was too late to learn it all. I reported this and the college said they'd look into it. But nothing has come of it. It came up in my exam :')
    So don't feel bad cause even if you'd done something sooner not much may have happened.
    Best of luck anyhow!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hi, I'm just wondering whether there is in fact anything I can do about this situation or not...

Basically, I was predicted A's and A*'s in my A levels (Geog, Politics, Philosophy) and my educational history can back this. However, it came to the attention of myself and about two months ago that not only had our teachers left out pretty fair chunks of the course, what they had taught had been taught either wrong, or rather badly. Thus, I had to re-adapt my revision schedule to accommodate for the new material that had to be learnt and spent a total of eight weeks re-writing the course content and trying to understand it- which anybody who takes Philosophy can agree, is not always the easiest of tasks.
    Thus, by the time the exam arrived, although I had covered the majority of the content to the best degree I could, I was short on time to actually 'revise' it and had also not been able to practise any exam questions efficiently; this proved detrimental in the exam when trying to respond to 12 and 25 mark questions- although our teachers had provided some level of approach regarding how to answer them, their approaches varied greatly. In fact, when I actually did had in a 25 mark question (in which I knew the content was right as it was drawn from text books), it was marked down because my teacher had not understood the content to credit it; one thing she corrected made the statement a fundamental contradiction!
    So obviously the exam did not go well; I definitely have not got the A I should have done but moreover, since I had to spend so much time focussing on Philosophy, I've not performed nearly as well in my other subjects which I haven't been able to dedicate adequate attention to.
    I've always been someone who cares about their grades and was aiming for a straight set of A*/As in my A levels- as can be demonstrated with my A* (post-standardisation) EPQ which was complete before this all came to light. Thus, I'm just really disappointed that it may impact me getting to university, for which I only needed AAB, but now it seems like I'll be falling a detrimental amount from that. Obviously if I were to miss out, I'd just re-sit the exams next year because I'd rather end up in a university that I match up to academically, but I wasn't sure if there was anything I could do now, perhaps to let the university know the situation?
    My reservations are rooted in the fact that I don't want to seem like I'm just justifying a bad exam, which is why I haven't considered it this seriously until now. Not only that, but as bad as my teachers were, they were two of the most lovely people I've met in my life and if anything, I feel guilty criticising their work when evidently they've had to go through this hell at one point to get to where they are.

If anyone had any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated, but I understand that my best bet at this point is probably gritting my teeth and dealing with it on results day and accepting that's life :' Cheers
    Difficult to read.

What is it you want?

Complain to exam board? I doubt the exam board will be interested. I was reading the other day that complaints about being taught the wrong syllabus were the responsibiliy of the school.

Ask the Uni for leniency? Maybe if you fall one grade below offer, but your problem is you seem to lack any proof and you wont have any official backing. I would mention it if you come one grade short.

Complain to the school? If I was annoyed and had suffered a grievane, then I would raise the issue with the school. First with your teacher, then with head of department or headteacher and finally following the school grievance procedure. You can either apportion blame or just raise the issue with the aim of preventing it happening again to other pupils.

If I felt let down by the school, then I would definitely follow it up and that would include making a complaint if they didnt take it seriously.

I can't gauge how much is your responsibility and how much is down to the teacher..Part of what you appear to be unhappy with is that you spent more time trying to resuce philosophy and that has adversely affected everything?

Fortunately you have a good approach.
    1. Wait for the results.
    2. Resit. I strongly agree with your idea of doing this , so you can do yourself justice and end up at a uni you are happy with.
    3. Get the copy of your exam as suggested previously, then you cna use that as a basis for any complaint.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    No. Section Leaders are the ones in charge of a forum. They are members of the Support Team, not members of the Community Team (the paid staff.) The title of Very Important Poster means you are a member of a group of volunteer posters, not necessarily members of the Support or Community Teams, who aim to answer unanswered threads within a certain time frame so that people don't get ignored.
    My mistake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Difficult to read.

What is it you want?

Complain to exam board? I doubt the exam board will be interested. I was reading the other day that complaints about being taught the wrong syllabus were the responsibiliy of the school.

Ask the Uni for leniency? Maybe if you fall one grade below offer, but your problem is you seem to lack any proof and you wont have any official backing. I would mention it if you come one grade short.

Complain to the school? If I was annoyed and had suffered a grievane, then I would raise the issue with the school. First with your teacher, then with head of department or headteacher and finally following the school grievance procedure. You can either apportion blame or just raise the issue with the aim of preventing it happening again to other pupils.

If I felt let down by the school, then I would definitely follow it up and that would include making a complaint if they didnt take it seriously.

I can't gauge how much is your responsibility and how much is down to the teacher..Part of what you appear to be unhappy with is that you spent more time trying to resuce philosophy and that has adversely affected everything?

Fortunately you have a good approach.
    1. Wait for the results.
    2. Resit. I strongly agree with your idea of doing this , so you can do yourself justice and end up at a uni you are happy with.
    3. Get the copy of your exam as suggested previously, then you cna use that as a basis for any complaint.

I don't really know- a lot of the class complained to her during class time and she failed to realise the significance of her error and accused those who were complaining of not understanding, which really is untrue. I went to a different school last year (moved before starting upper sixth) with an excellent teacher which has allowed me to identify the discrepancy more so than I perhaps would have, but ultimately bad teaching is one thing and not actually teaching things/teaching them wrong seems like another!
    Regardless, I agree that the exam board would be uninterested. Hopefully the extent it has affected my other subjects is minimal, such that Geography which was supposed to be an A* will come out as an A/B. So hopefully if they don't drop too far I could make the case on results day but it just depends whether or not they see me as clutching at straws for an excuse when I'm really not! I feel like even if they were to offer me a place if I got say AAC, I couldn't bring myself to go without re-sitting the C first! So I'll just have to take it as it comes, I guess.

Thanks for your response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nobodycarescarla)
    Hey i just wanted to say that even if you had reported it, theres a chance nothing would of happened anyway. I need AAA for uni and my teacher decided not to teach us a module as it 'came up last year'. Going through the specification i noticed but it was too late to learn it all. I reported this and the college said they'd look into it. But nothing has come of it. It came up in my exam :'
    So don't feel bad cause even if you'd done something sooner not much may have happened.
    Best of luck anyhow!
    I thought as much tbh! I mean some members of the class did highlight it to the teacher herself and a senior tutor but the teacher covered herself by saying that she did teach it right, we just misunderstood... this was completely wrong :')

That's so annoying- I don't understand how they can take such a gamble with such important exams?! Teaching standards really ought to increase in my opinion!

Thanks very much, you too!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I don't really know- a lot of the class complained to her during class time and she failed to realise the significance of her error and accused those who were complaining of not understanding, which really is untrue. I went to a different school last year (moved before starting upper sixth) with an excellent teacher which has allowed me to identify the discrepancy more so than I perhaps would have, but ultimately bad teaching is one thing and not actually teaching things/teaching them wrong seems like another!
    Regardless, I agree that the exam board would be uninterested. Hopefully the extent it has affected my other subjects is minimal, such that Geography which was supposed to be an A* will come out as an A/B. So hopefully if they don't drop too far I could make the case on results day but it just depends whether or not they see me as clutching at straws for an excuse when I'm really not! I feel like even if they were to offer me a place if I got say AAC, I couldn't bring myself to go without re-sitting the C first! So I'll just have to take it as it comes, I guess.

Thanks for your response
    I have looked up the JCQ rules and there isnt anything directly on it. They appear to have discretion, but thats where the whole class were taught the wrong syllabus or books.

If the whole class is unhappy then you should raise the issue as suggested through the official complaints procedure. Its a balance between poor teaching, v you using common sense and keeping track yourself.

How about talking to your preious teacher had getting their insight?

ReputationRep:
    Have fun at university where you have to work independently lol

ReputationRep:
    If we did have a bad teacher during our A-levels should we inform the Unis we are applying for?
    My chemistry teacher hasn't even been folloing the correct specification,, it looks like he has beeen teaching us ocr and not aqa, so I have had to put so much effort into chemistry, but despite being predicted an A whil everyone else recieved a U in my class, I also don't think it was reflected in the exam.
    Also, I think my school has acknowleged he is a bad teacher as they are not letting him teaher A2.
    Yeah, so I'm quite worried now it has ruined my prospects of applying to a good uni.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mrs.Grey)
    Your one doesn't say it lol :laugh: Sorry for making you think that, I saw someone else have it and I was really curious.
    Hey,

I think the VIP team are still recruiting, you just need to be answering a lot of unanswered threads and if they see that you've been consistent, then you'll receive an invite to the team. Inactivity could cause them to retrieve the title so make sure to constantly answer unanswered threads, you can win Amazon vouchers if you keep up your game!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I have looked up the JCQ rules and there isnt anything directly on it. They appear to have discretion, but thats where the whole class were taught the wrong syllabus or books.

If the whole class is unhappy then you should raise the issue as suggested through the official complaints procedure. Its a balance between poor teaching, v you using common sense and keeping track yourself.

How about talking to your preious teacher had getting their insight?
    What's JCQ, sorry? In honesty, I'm sure the class would not be unwilling to testify however I guess it's only worth taking that step if there would actually be a likely result- otherwise I suppose we've all left now and the best bet is just dealing with whatever happens?
    I could contact my previous teacher however I feel I may just be making too big an issue- if it didn't go well, I may as well re-sit it next year now that I have all the facts and do myself justice rather than try and persuade my uni of the poor reflection this exam is and continue through life with a poor grade?
    I think I'll do what you originally suggested and bring it up if I'm out by a grade; if not, I guess that's life and I'll have to get on with it haha
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The better bet is to talk to your ex teacher and see what they think and see if you wnat to raise it with the school.
    Unless you have signifiant and concrete evidence of failure, then its hard.

I'm just highlighting options as to what might suit you.

Joint Coincil for Qualificcations- contains all the exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    hey,

i think the vip team are still recruiting, you just need to be answering a lot of unanswered threads and if they see that you've been consistent, then you'll receive an invite to the team. Inactivity could cause them to retrieve the title so make sure to constantly answer unanswered threads, you can win amazon vouchers if you keep up your game!
    oh my gosh hi and thank you :d

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I think the VIP team are still recruiting, you just need to be answering a lot of unanswered threads and if they see that you've been consistent, then you'll receive an invite to the team. Inactivity could cause them to retrieve the title so make sure to constantly answer unanswered threads, you can win Amazon vouchers if you keep up your game!
    Is there only one space for this title? Also how many should I answer a day for them to notice me?

ReputationRep:
    I can relate to your situation. Apart from like one or two teachers, the rest were s*** all the way from GCSEs to A-levels. And no I don't feel guilty for saying that. Anyway I still managed to get ABB by using the course textbook and studying ahead myself and get into a good uni. The university won't care about how good or bad your teachers were as they expect you to work independently and take responsibility for yourself unless there were extenuating circumstances which this isn't. Even at uni now the teachers are not the best and when you go to work you won't necessarily have the best employer either. It's just a matter of luck and the cards you are dealt with. I would say just stick it out and hope for the best for results day, you may be surprised as I was in a good way and be accepted into your chosen uni if many applicants failed. Your idea does sound good to resit them next year if they aren't what you expected though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mrs.Grey)
    Is there only one space for this title? Also how many should I answer a day for them to notice me?
    I think you're assessed by the quality of your replies and the frequency that you give them. I'm not sure how many spaces there are on the team, perhaps check the FAQ? And there's no number of times you should do it, just do it enough so that you can get yourself noticed.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're assessed by the quality of your replies and the frequency that you give them. I'm not sure how many spaces there are on the team, perhaps check the FAQ? And there's no number of times you should do it, just do it enough so that you can get yourself noticed.
    Ah ok, thank you so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    A) If your teachers were bad, then you should have reported this to either; Subject Leader, Head of Department, Head of your Sixth Form/College, or Assistant/Deputy Headteacher who is responsible for teaching and learning.

B) Your grades will only be taken into consideration from your uni if everyone's results over all 2 or the 3 subjects you said that were taught badly were horrendous like you point out.

C) You can get a priority recall of your paper (but you'd have to pay a lot as they only really do this if it's a whole cohort of papers have bad results), and go through the paper with a more senior member of staff in the same discipline subject such as Head of Department/Subject Leader.

D) Go through clearing at uni.

E) Or you're just worrying about your results which is understandable, but futile anyway.

F) ENJOY YOUR SUMMER!
    Funny you make that point because o told the correct people about my chemistry teacher who sucked and the refused and denied he was a bad teacher and they even said people like his teacher and i was like wat, no-one in our class of 7 likes him wtf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.