Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Telling a homeless person to just buy a house is like telling a cancer victim to simply stop having cancer

Its one of the most absurd things ive ever heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Telling a homeless person to just buy a house is like telling a cancer victim to simply stop having cancer

Its one of the most absurd things ive ever heard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your comparison is more absurd, a homeless person can receive financial help, benefits, and temporary accommodation to find a place to live, a cancer sufferer can be treated medicine: it does not justify squatting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Your comparison is more absurd, a homeless person can receive financial help, benefits, and temporary accommodation to find a place to live, a cancer sufferer can be treated medicine: it does not justify squatting.
    In the uk one does not have to pay for cancer treatment, therefore making it easier for someone to not have cancer anymore than for a homeless person to just "buy a house"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In the uk one does not have to pay for cancer treatment, therefore making it easier for someone to not have cancer anymore than for a homeless person to just "buy a house"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your point is not clear, there is support for homeless people in Britain, and there is support for cancer patients in Britain; it is unrelated to squatting which is the focus of this bill.

ReputationRep:
    Your point is not clear, there is support for homeless people in Britain, and there is support for cancer patients in Britain; it is unrelated to squatting which is the focus of this bill.
    I was referring to your suggestion that homeless people just buy a house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I was referring to your suggestion that homeless people just buy a house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But telling homeless people to buy a house when there are support measures in place is not the same as telling a cancer patient to stop having cancer as you state, it would be telling the cancer patient to seek treatment to stop having cancer.

ReputationRep:
    But telling homeless people to buy a house when there are support measures in place is not the same as telling a cancer patient to stop having cancer as you state, it would be telling the cancer patient to seek treatment to stop having cancer.
    "Why are you homeless?"

"Got no money"

"Well why dont you just buy a house then?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "Why are you homeless?"

"Got no money"

"Well why dont you just buy a house then?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That ignores that lots of people are homeless because they wasted money, made bad decisions when investing money, refuse to seek help, or did not pay attention at school when being educated meaning the homeless individual does not have qualifications to find a good job.

ReputationRep:
    That ignores that lots of people are homeless because they wasted money, made bad decisions when investing money, refuse to seek help, or did not pay attention at school when being educated meaning the homeless individual does not have qualifications to find a good job.
    How does one get a job if theyre homeless?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How does one get a job if theyre homeless?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The point is this, the homeless may have had a job before being homeless if they did not waste their time at school, however, there are free charities that exist who provide an address for the homeless to use in job applications, or the homeless could use a friend's address.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Hell no... For those who say aye, I'd love to see how you react if you got home to someone in your bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Hell no... For those who say aye, I'd love to see how you react if you got home to someone in your bed.
    This is a dramatic misrepresentation of the problem. Squatting is exceedingly rare in occupied houses, and when it happens, it's extremely easy to remedy under existing (pre-Residing Act) law.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    This is a dramatic misrepresentation of the problem. Squatting is exceedingly rare in occupied houses, and when it happens, it's extremely easy to remedy under existing (pre-Residing Act) law.
    It might be extreme, but hey, in my eyes, repealing this Act is extreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    It might be extreme, but hey, in my eyes, repealing this Act is extreme.
    Helping to remedy the homelessness problem is extreme?

ReputationRep:
    Im torn on this one. On the one hand i think we should do our bit to help the homeless however i dont think that legalising (and therefore encouraging) squatting is a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im torn on this one. On the one hand i think we should do our bit to help the homeless however i dont think that legalising (and therefore encouraging) squatting is a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Legalising something is not encouraging it. I struggle to see where you've got this weird perception from (including, apparently, that taxing something is encouraging it).

ReputationRep:
    Legalising something is not encouraging it. I struggle to see where you've got this weird perception from (including, apparently, that taxing something is encouraging it).
    The professional gambling tax applies income tax to gambling winnings, therefore legitimising it as a profession when it shouldn't be.

Legalisation is an endorsement from the state, basically giving something the okay. I guess you're just too liberal to understand.

ReputationRep:
    The professional gambling tax applies income tax to gambling winnings, therefore legitimising it as a profession when it shouldn't be.
    It doesn't. It creates a disincentive to gamble for a living. Also, it's no less legitimate a profession than running a gambling company, being a trader, or even property development (for obvious reasons).

Legalisation is an endorsement from the state, basically giving something the okay. I guess you're just too liberal to understand.
    It's not. Here's the reason: everything is legalised unless the state has specifically stated otherwise (that's a matter of fact, not something I believe because I'm 'liberal'). Unless you believe that endorsement is the default state, and thus the state can be said to endorse basically absolutely everything, that's not a tenable argument.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't. It creates a disincentive to gamble for a living. Also, it's no less legitimate a profession than running a gambling company, being a trader, or even property development (for obvious reasons).

It's not. Here's the reason: everything is legalised unless the state has specifically stated otherwise (that's a matter of fact, not something I believe because I'm 'liberal'. Unless you believe that endorsement is the default state, and thus the state can be said to endorse basically absolutely everything, that's not a tenable argument.
    Something previously illegal becoming legal is a different matter entirely though. It is a shift from the state saying that "this isn't okay" to "this is okay". In this case it's squatting, which I don't think is okay, and as such if this is put into division I'll likely abstain or vote against.

ReputationRep:
    Something previously illegal becoming legal is a different matter entirely though. It is a shift from the state saying that "this isn't okay" to "this is okay". In this case it's squatting, which I don't think is okay, and as such if this is put into division I'll likely abstain or vote against.
    First, on the PGT Bill, that's not what happened.

Second, that's not accurate. When something becomes legal from being illegal, it's the state saying 'For whatever reason, we no longer believe that this being illegal is beneficial to society' - your version is so simplistic as to be false.

For instance, copyright infringement recently stopped being illegal. Do you think that by doing that, the Tory government was saying copyright infringement is okay, or encouraged?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.