Turn on thread page Beta

UKL Art Society (UKL ArtSoc) watch

ReputationRep:
    Completely off topic but has anybody here been to Italy, esp. Florence. I was having a browse through my travelling/holiday snaps and was looking through all the art in the city! Its fab. Did get to see Michaelangos David which is definatly a must see if you go to Florence, but didn't get any pics as I was not allowed but i think his work is gonna be my inspiration for my AS art now. Wow for once I am actually looking forward to going back to college!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    I normally end up with acrylic paint on my school shirts... I think I have 2 shirts out of 7 that don't have paint on :eek: At least charcoal can come off...

Hmmmm, I'm not really into pop art that much, it's never really appealed to me, but I'm sure if I study one type for a while I'll start to like it, I never used to like surrealism :eek: And now I love it
    I didn't notice this thread before! I love art! I've just finished GCSE and I'm doing it for A level and I also got onto a young at art course thing at an art collage in london.

I've managed to get various colours of acrylic paint on the sleeves of two blazers and at least on 3 of my school shirts...

(Original post by Fleff)
    I normally end up with acrylic paint on my school shirts... I think I have 2 shirts out of 7 that don't have paint on :eek: At least charcoal can come off...

Hmmmm, I'm not really into pop art that much, it's never really appealed to me, but I'm sure if I study one type for a while I'll start to like it, I never used to like surrealism :eek: And now I love it
    i got black acrylic on my very nice and rather expensive strippy trousers. It is really annoying because my school just refuse to let us wear anything that isnt smart and i am terrible with paint. My arms just always wave about when i am talking-not good with a paint brush in my hand!

my favourite material to work in is oil pastel, as i am such a sucker for bright bold colours. Unit 2&3 of AS was lots of oil pastel pictures which was fun. I really must start using them for what i am working on at the moment which is brightly coloured flowers (mainly pink/purple/red as these are my favourite colours)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luce20)
    Completely off topic but has anybody here been to Italy, esp. Florence. I was having a browse through my travelling/holiday snaps and was looking through all the art in the city! Its fab. Did get to see Michaelangos David which is definatly a must see if you go to Florence, but didn't get any pics as I was not allowed but i think his work is gonna be my inspiration for my AS art now. Wow for once I am actually looking forward to going back to college!
    oh
    i love florence! i went there last year! it is AMAZING! i just love all the rennaisance architecture... the palazzo vecchio, brunelleschi's dome at the santa maria del fiore, the medici palace, the uffizi... and then there's the apintings and statues! wow! one thing i definately recommend is taking a boat ride down the arno. its the best way to see the city!

p.s can i join the arts society? i am a future architect!

ReputationRep:
    scarlet_ibis- did you just go to Florence or all over Italy? Rome is definately great for the art and its buildings... esp the Vatican and the Sisitine Chapel.. I went there like three times in the space of the week I loved it that much!oh GL for the 19th and for everyone else doing A levels.. I know the feeling of waiting, I did it two yrs ago!

ReputationRep:
    Ive just finished Art at A Level and absolutely loved it! I'm hoping to do a foundation course this Septembers ... am still awaiting some more interviews! (-that portfolio of mine will be the death of me!!! lol)

Just a general question... how many types of media wud u say counts as a varied number? :confused: Cos i've used a fair amount of media (that were avaiiable at school) and got slated by one of my interviewers that i have't used much(!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    Ive just finished Art at A Level and absolutely loved it! I'm hoping to do a foundation course this Septembers ... am still awaiting some more interviews! (-that portfolio of mine will be the death of me!!! lol)

Just a general question... how many types of media wud u say counts as a varied number? :confused: Cos i've used a fair amount of media (that were avaiiable at school) and got slated by one of my interviewers that i have't used much(!)
    Hey what grade are you expecting in your Art A level? And was the AS hard or just time consuming? Gl with ur foundation course, I would love to do one after this course but I can't bear another yr being at uni- its already been 2 years now!
    What kind of media have u used so far?of the top of my head i can think of-pencil, pen, chalk, crayon, felt tips, paints(acrylic,watercolour, gouache,oil,posterpaints etc..)then you got pastels, charcoal, drawing inks..Im sure there is loads, i think you could choose to use anything you wanted if you put your mind to it, if anything is gonna stop you it will be your imagination more than lack of media choices. Surprise the interviewers with completely diff things and you will stand out( if and when u go to do your interviews for uni!) and have fun doing your course next yr!

Hey what grade are you expecting in your Art A level? And was the AS hard or just time consuming? Gl with ur foundation course, I would love to do one after this course but I can't bear another yr being at uni- its already been 2 years now!
    What kind of media have u used so far?of the top of my head i can think of-pencil, pen, chalk, crayon, felt tips, paints(acrylic,watercolour, gouache,oil,posterpaints etc..)then you got pastels, charcoal, drawing inks..Im sure there is loads, i think you could choose to use anything you wanted if you put your mind to it, if anything is gonna stop you it will be your imagination more than lack of media choices. Surprise the interviewers with completely diff things and you will stand out( if and when u go to do your interviews for uni!) and have fun doing your course next yr!
    be creative-last year someone at my school did part of thier work using sweets so anything is possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    be creative-last year someone at my school did part of thier work using sweets so anything is possible
    Thats what I meant, apart from the obvious media, the imagination of someone is the limit, you can use anything!As far as your creativity takes you!

Thats what I meant, apart from the obvious media, the imagination of someone is the limit, you can use anything!As far as your creativity takes you!
    I know, i just thought i would give the example as it was really cool and crazy! yep use anything you can get your hands on i would say. Another crazy media my friend used was pigs blood. When she did a project on symbolism and made playing cards using images of real hearts she bought a pigs heart to photograph. She cut it up and used the blood to draw with..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    I know, i just thought i would give the example as it was really cool and crazy! yep use anything you can get your hands on i would say. Another crazy media my friend used was pigs blood. When she did a project on symbolism and made playing cards using images of real hearts she bought a pigs heart to photograph. She cut it up and used the blood to draw with..
    Ewwwwwwwww!one of the projects that was shown to us a couple of yrs back, in it a girl had used her own hair! I think the tutor was a bit weary of touching it!

Ewwwwwwwww!one of the projects that was shown to us a couple of yrs back, in it a girl had used her own hair! I think the tutor was a bit weary of touching it!
    ooh i have seen something a bit like that too!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, ia ma starting art for gcse, is it any fun. I am worried my painting isnt too good and neihther me drawing but i luuuuuuuuuv art. It has always been a passion of mine. I luv it. And i figure if i love someithing i shud do it rather than doing something im very gd at. Is alll the marks bout if it looks good. Shud i do it?

Our first topic will be the rainforest. I have 1 idea so fair; pk here goes,

BAsically a hand on the left side of the page holding a rosemary (with a cross)

on the right a hand holding a parrot. then a line through the middle of da page. Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, on the side with the hand holding a rosemary i will paint a arainforest as a background, and on the side with a parrot, i will paint a church. I will then write in the middle the reason i have switched the backgrounds is because iin a church a rose mary is sacred and so is a parrot to a rainforest, there fore both backgorunds symbollicaly are the same. Is that a gd ide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amrou)
    Well, ia ma starting art for gcse, is it any fun. I am worried my painting isnt too good and neihther me drawing but i luuuuuuuuuv art. It has always been a passion of mine. I luv it. And i figure if i love someithing i shud do it rather than doing something im very gd at. Is alll the marks bout if it looks good. Shud i do it?

on the right a hand holding a parrot. then a line through the middle of da page. Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, on the side with the hand holding a rosemary i will paint a arainforest as a background, and on the side with a parrot, i will paint a church. I will then write in the middle the reason i have switched the backgrounds is because iin a church a rose mary is sacred and so is a parrot to a rainforest, there fore both backgorunds symbollicaly are the same. Is that a gd ide
    Do you mean rosary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amrou)

Its very easy to say whether its a good idea, but thats a totally different thing than the actual major piece which may infact turn out to be great or a disaster. Unless we can see it and your art diary (if you keep a project book) we cant really say.

ReputationRep:
    well i actually havent stated da course i do if i still decide to do it in september, so im anxious wether i wud like pursue the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amrou)
    well i actually havent stated da course i do if i still decide to do it in september, so im anxious wether i wud like pursue the course
    Well, do you like it? Or moreso, can you keep up the creative edge?

ReputationRep:
    wellllllllll i luv it. ANd i am v creaitve. But im not brill at it. Or shud i just do summin im gd at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amrou)
    wellllllllll i luv it. ANd i am v creaitve. But im not brill at it. Or shud i just do summin im gd at
    Depending on whether you are good at something else and whether art would drag your marks down. Im not that familliar on how your exit scores work there so im probably not the best person to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amrou)
    As far as I know, it isn't how good you are at drawing and painting etc, although it helps, but if you can make up for it with creativeness and a wide range of ideas, then you should do well
    Look at modern art - some of it is very skillful, other stuff isn't, but all of it is accepted as art, because it's creative. I haven't explained that very well...

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.