The Student Room Group

How have your music tastes changed?

Scroll to see replies

@Leviathan1741

yeh standard I wouldn't miss it for the world, it's in February next year forgot the date. At the NEC.
Original post by Wilfred Little
@Leviathan1741

yeh standard I wouldn't miss it for the world, it's in February next year forgot the date. At the NEC.

Saturday 4th Feb at the Genting Arena :smile:
I went from listening to:
Lady Gaga
Katy Perry
Kaiser Chiefs (do still listen to them occasionally)
Girls Aloud
And loads of other pop bands

To
Avril Lavigne (got me into rock music)
Green Day
Evanescence
Halestorm
Tonight Alive
PVRIS
Hollywood Undead
BMTH
Sum41
Blink 182
Paramore
Etc....
Reply 23
Used to listen to just hip hop as a teenager. Now almost everything.
@Leviathan1741

Hey Wilf (I hope you don't mind me calling you that!), have you got tickets yet?
I've gone from pop to quite heavy metal (Angst phase) to literally a bit of everything (just don't like country or rap really)
In primary school and Key Stage 3 I mainly listened to chart pop and rock music. I listened to the Now! That's What I Call Music albums a lot.

But eventually I grew bored of pop as it seemed to be getting blander and blander. Then, one day my brother played his FIFA game downstairs for some reason, and you know how the FIFA games always have a soundtrack consisting of indie pop and rock music? Well, I listened to some of the songs and discovered some more songs from the bands. I was still listening to the aforementioned alt rock bands, but a lot of 'indie-like' bands like Fitz and the Tantrums, Passion Pit, Mew and Animal Collective joined my collection.

Then in 2014 I joined another forum and had a little peak at the music discussions to see what kind of music the other users liked, being curious. A lot of these bands I never heard of, but I took a little listen to them. When I stumbled across the Irish shoegazing band My Bloody Valentine, I immediately fell in love with them and decided to explore shoegaze and dream pop, and discovered more great bands like Slowdive, Asobi Seksu, Ride, Lush and Cocteau Twins.

I also found some post-rock bands: Mogwai and Godspeed You! Black Emperor. I did remember listening to Sigur Ros before and enjoyed them, and since they were considered post-rock, I expected these other bands to be sound them. I was very wrong, but they very quickly grew on me (especially GY!BE. They're definitely one of my favourite bands)

And then I discovered Swans, an American experimental/noise rock band. When I first heard the album To Be Kind, I must admit, I didn't know what to think of it. Parts of it had me questioning whether or not it was music. But then something inside me told me to listen to it all again, and then more Swans songs from other albums. And now I love them.

TL;DR: My music taste went from pop and alt rock to indie. But nowadays I like post-rock, shoegaze, dream pop, and a bit of noise rock. And I don't think I can ever go back.
(edited 7 years ago)
My taste hasn't dramatically changed as such but;
In like 08 I listened to Linkin Park which slowly got me into the whole 'rock' scene and the various sub-genres of rock.
As time went on I listened to other bands like three days grace, Slipknot and Avenged sevenfold (2011ish) but not in a way that i was a fan.

From there i just kept finding new bands, 2014 was the primary year when I really transcended into music. I found out about a bunch of bands, still listening to my old ones. You could call this my pure emo year.

My favourite band now is Avenged sevenfold still.
I listen to stuff like hollywood undead, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Rise Against, Escape the fate, Area 11, Rhyme Asylum, TwizTid, Alestorm, Crossfaith, metallica, The weekend etc etc, It really varies from the mood im in.
I must admit female Kpop is my guilty pleasure.
(edited 7 years ago)
I feel so old, everyone's like "when I was young I was into Lady Gaga and Katy Perry" and I'm all "yeah but S Club 7 and Spice Girls".

Let's see... my dad brought me up on a mix of Stiff Little Fingers, Motorhead, UK Subs, Iron Maiden, etc, whereas my mum never really listened to much music in my company.

When I was a kid I had a very limited access to music: didn't have a computer, let alone Internet, and any money I did get never really went on CDs. We had some Now That's What I Call Music album scattered around the house, and an NME compilation album that I played the **** out of.
But when I was 9 my dad bought me a Wheatus album, and then shortly afterwards someone gave him a burnt copy of Silver Side Up that he didn't really like so he gave it to me (I still don't really like Nickelback, but I still dig SSU). A year or so later I bought Hybrid Theory, and that was when I started to form my own music collection. We got Sky a year or so later, and I started binge-watching Kerrang and Scuzz in place of having my own physical music, but my collection got bigger as I added the likes of Korn, Offspring, and Nofx to it. Even though a majority of the albums I bought were punk, I was mostly into my metal, but the mainstream stuff didn't really hit the spot.

Then someone introduced me to black metal (threw me in at the deep end with DSBM, can't thank him enough for it though) and started sending me albums over MSN. Loved it, still do. He gave me a passing glance at death metal, mentioned doom, but mostly stuck to black.

I got more into punk, and started listening to more hardcore, more crust, more d-beat. Left punk rock behind a bit and started to refine my tastes, but I still dig the likes of Bad Religion and Nofx.

So I discovered the other sub-genres of metal on my own, got really into stoner doom and related genres (stoner rock, psychedelic rock), and listening to Planet Rock at work greatly improved my knowledge and appreciation for classic rock.

Then discovered trip-hop, which I thought was alright but nothing major, then the same guy turned me onto shoegaze/dream-pop, and I fell in love with that too.

Another one of my friends turned me onto hip-hop in my early 20s via Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) and Cypress Hill. From there, I found my own way to socially conscious/political hip-hop.

Other than the punk ****, I don't listen to anything that I listened to before the guy introduced me to black metal. I won't even entertain watching Kerrang or Scuzz these days, it's so bland compared to the metal I listen to.

That's not really the best timeline because I'm pretty sure I've got some of it wrong, but that's the general gist of my tastes. Throw some drone and post-rock in there somewhere too. But basically, I got introduced to black metal when I was 14 and it caused me to completely re-evaluate my taste in music... it was a very formative experience.

I became very musically isolated in school as a result though, because no-one listened or appreciated what I listened to :lol:
They thought Slipknot were the heaviest band ever and I'm sitting there like "But Cryptopsy and Carcass and Obituary and stuff." They didn't get it. Still don't. The only people I can really talk to about any decent metal these days are the people on the Rock/Metal Soc on here, because the guy who introduced me to black metal doesn't even listen to it any more XD
(edited 7 years ago)
When I was in primary school I was into my pop rock type bands - McFly, Busted, Avril Lavigne. I even tried to make myself look like her:colondollar:

Then in like year 7-9 I kinda listened to whatever was on the radio. You know, popular music, what everyone knew, so if my friend asked "have you heard _____ latest track" id be like "yeah of course!"

In year 10 I kinda went more alternative, I tried to be different. I listened to a couple of screamo bands, like heavy metal, rock bands etc. I listened to the typical Sleeping With Sirens and so on.

After that I wanted to be even MORE original, so I started listening to all of these Polish artists (I'm Polish by the way). It didn't really matter what genre, as long as I could sing it in front of my friends and they didn't know it.

Now, I kinda listen to everything. I have a playlist for when I want to shake my hips along to some Drake or Rihanna, I have a playlist of all the McFly classics to just jump about to, I listen to a lot of calmer artists like Sia or Adele, but of course sometimes I like to have little throwbacks to my 'scene phase' or to my childhood artists. Now it's more of a mood dependent thing rather than a status thing.:tongue:
I guess mine never really changed, just got more intense and developed more. I think I've always had an eclectic music taste but as I grew older it just got more apparent(?).

When I was a kid, I usually listened to pop songs so like N'sync, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, etc. but I listened to rap and rock as well. but most of them were considered mainstream, I guess, so people would still say it's pop. (Still don't understand why though...)

When I got older and discovered internet radio, playlists, youtube mix and stuff like that, I listen to a lot more music and my music taste became more eclectic. One day I would listen to Arianna Grande and Justin Bieber, the next I would listen to Breaking Benjamin, All good things and There for Tomorrow. And then that evening I would listen to the soundtrack of Disney, Hamilton, Overwatch and Shadowhunters. Trust me, my playlist is all over the place.

It's weird though and sometimes I feel a bit left out, because most people I know can actually say the music they listen to and give a solid opinion like "mostly pop and hip-hop" or something, the most honest answer I could give is "songs that makes you feel 'feels'"

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar 😞
Reply 31
Listened to mostly chart and rap music, then discovered Linkin Park and got into rock (Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Adema, 3 Doors Down, Paramore, Slipknot)

Between 8 to 10 I listened to quite a lot of dubstep, drum and ass and electro music (artists such as NERO, Netsky, Sub Focus and other big names). Since I watcged a lot of anime I began listening to J-rock and J-pop.

Afterwards got a bit tired of it, so around yr12 I went and dived deeper into other rock genres as well as heavy metal. Discovered bands such as Killswitch Engage, BMTH and started listening

Around the end of y12 I got more into classicals, indie rock, jazz. Then afterwards started to listen to spanish and portuguese songs.

TL;DR I listen to everything :tongue:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hey Wilf (I hope you don't mind me calling you that!), have you got tickets yet?

Everyone calls me Wilf :cool:

Na not yet, did you get any?
Everyone calls me Wilf :cool:

Na not yet, did you get any?

Awesome!

Yeah I managed to get 2 tickets to the 2nd of Feb show, the final show on the 4th was sold out sadly!
(edited 7 years ago)
I used to just listen to pop music whereas now my music tastes are pretty varied, I mainly listen to indie/alternative music now
my music taste has never changed, I have always liked video game music :smile:
Yes K-POP happened. :colondollar:

Jungkook my babe :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::lovedup::lovedup::lovedup::lovedup::lovedup::lovedup::lovedup::lovedup::lovedup2::lovedup2::lovedup2::lovedup2:
My dad - big fan of 80s music always sang songs from the 80s and played the songs around the house, so from a young age I was into 80s music. I remember Billie Jean being my all time favourite.
Me and my dad would always dance and sing along to the music.
As I grew older I found YouTube at the age of 12 I came across Jessie J's price tag hip hop reggae fusion type.

Since then I've been into hip hop and pop music.

I can listen to a wide variety of music though.

Generally love music :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I grew up listening to R&B and some Pop, like JT, 112, Usher, Destiny's Child, Ashanti, Alicia Keys etc.
Then around the age of 12 I started listening to chart music, so Lady Gaga, Rihanna etc.
From the age of 15 I'd say I really discovered what I really like, which is mainly urban music. I'm not really a fan of rap, unless it's something like Drake, but I love R&B. I still listen to chart music from time to time, but not as much.
Used to listen to country when I was very young, then when I started secondary I had my six-month-embarrassing-JLS-phase

Around 12-15 l listened to a lot of classical and some pop-punk, and then lots of rock

Now I'm into a lot of older British music, a lot of music from the 60s, and then 80s/90s alt rock, but I'll listen to pretty much anything rocky

Quick Reply

Latest