Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long would it take a someone to be able to lift about 230kg? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Are you talking lifting weights weight lifting or Olympic style weight lifting. There's a difference and it causes some confusion

Height is neither here nor there at your stage and only really comes into it when talking elite lifters at light bodyweight. And as its something you can't change I wouldn't worry about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just normal weight lifting, I'm not interested in the competitive side of things, I don't know, like, being able to lift it to breast height or something? Or failing that as a benchpress or a half squat? Lmao I know it must be annoying for you because I know so little

Alright, thank you

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Just normal weight lifting, I'm not interested in the competitive side of things, I don't know, like, being able to lift it to breast height or something? Or failing that as a benchpress or a half squat? Lmao I know it must be annoying for you because I know so little

Alright, thank you
    wut
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer

Alright, thank you
    There's no movement called a half squat that is recognised

Have a read of the FAQ, it'll help build your knowledge
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Just to bring some balance, I'm male, weigh 85kg and haven't lifted 230kg on any individual lift. I've been lifting 2.5years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I really appreciate all this advice off you all by the way, I'm totally new to weightlifting and I'm just asking the more experienced members such as yourself.

Is height an advantage or a disadvantage?
    At 60kg as a drug free female you'll never deadlift 230kg, you'd do well to get to half of that. Why such a specific number anyway? :p: Becoming a competitive Olympic Lifter takes many many many years. Just ingraining good form takes a long time.

Height doesn't make a difference no because it just determines your weight class in most cases. Certain differences in biomechanics can result in different %s required for torque production, like long femurs, or if you have a long wingspan you'll be naturally inclined to do well in the deadlift.

If you're interested in learning the basic powerlifting movements, those two channels have pretty much everything you need.

https://www.youtube.com/user/athrall7
    https://www.youtube.com/user/OmarIsuf

For olympic weightlifting, although really you want a pretty good coach, although they're quite expensive

ReputationRep:
    Just to bring some balance, I'm male, weigh 85kg and haven't lifted 230kg on any individual lift. I've been lifting 2.5years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alrght, well thank you for your advice anyway, maybe I should aim for 100kg instead for the time being

ReputationRep:
    There's no movement called a half squat that is recognised

Have a read of the FAQ, it'll help build your knowledge
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should throw in some youtubers who put out informative videos in the FAQ
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    You should throw in some youtubers who put out informative videos in the FAQ
    If you want to draw up a list, I'll have a run through them and I can put it into the FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to draw up a list, I'll have a run through them and I can put it into the FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure I'll PM you in a bit

In general? That means nothing....

As a combined powerlifting total, depending on your weight, depending on genetics, starting point, routine, diet etc. Not too long a year

For any individual lift, a long time and probably the deadlift. It may not be possible for you even with drugs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    COMBINED? A YEAR?

Are you joking?

Easy:

100dl
    60 bench
    70 squat
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by govandpolitics)
    COMBINED? A YEAR?

Are you joking?

Easy:

100dl
    60 bench
    70 squat
    For a female, not a male.

Thread reading not once

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sent, hope you've got it I never send PMs XD

ReputationRep:
    At 60kg as a drug free female you'll never deadlift 230kg, you'd do well to get to half of that.
    That is some serious low standards BS..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    That is some serious low standards BS..
    Why? Seems pretty reasonable to me, not that I'm implying her genetic potential is half of 230, or that it would put her in advanced territory, only that it's a very respectable lift for her weight. Hope that's clear :p: Unless you think 115 should be comfortably in her novice range?

ReputationRep:
    I think 115 is a pretty mediocre deadlift for a woman.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone who answered

ReputationRep:
    I think 115 is a pretty mediocre deadlift for a woman.
    Really? I would consider any woman I met irl as super strong if they could lift 115kg

ReputationRep:
    Really? I would consider any woman I met irl as super strong if they could lift 115kg
    Right but you don't lift.

ReputationRep:
    Right but you don't lift.
    That is very true

ReputationRep:
    At 60kg as a drug free female you'll never deadlift 230kg, you'd do well to get to half of that. Why such a specific number anyway? :p: Becoming a competitive Olympic Lifter takes many many many years. Just ingraining good form takes a long time.

Height doesn't make a difference no because it just determines your weight class in most cases. Certain differences in biomechanics can result in different %s required for torque production, like long femurs, or if you have a long wingspan you'll be naturally inclined to do well in the deadlift.

If you're interested in learning the basic powerlifting movements, those two channels have pretty much everything you need.

https://www.youtube.com/user/athrall7
    https://www.youtube.com/user/OmarIsuf

For olympic weightlifting, although really you want a pretty good coach, although they're quite expensive

Don't put her down and say "you'll never lift XXX"

You train hard for it girl and you'll do it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.